Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Mass Transit as it should be and as it is...

...in Mexico anyway. So here I am coming to you live on a four hour bus ride from San Miguel de Allende to Mexico City. The bus is something out of the future -- ours that is. Free WiFi, wide super reclining seats with leg rests, box lunch, TV, AC, headsets, not just a rest room in the back but a washroom preceding it and cushy ride.

Oh and lest we forget the price -- $28.

Why would one want a car?

Dream on Metro Detroit and America.

See if you can find our streetcars and send them back

Wait, I though the Mexicans all had to flock here to flee their poverty ravaged country...

Doesn't sound all that different from megabus det <--> chicago, and more expensive to boot.

Also, Interurban =/= regional transit.

Enjoy your trip tho. Hopefully its pleasure rather than business.

Bon voyage, Lowell. [[Picture taken from rooftop at sunrise today in San Miguel.)Name:  IMG_20121216_071212[1].jpg
Views: 718
Size:  27.3 KB

JVB Guest

Try not to get beheaded while you're in beautiful Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    ...or get killed in a school in the US :-)

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by esteban View Post
    ...or get killed in a school in the US :-)
    Do you really want to compare murder rates between Mexico and the US? Didn't think so.

Maybe they'll pass legislation outlawing knives to stop all the beheadings. That should do the trick...

Do you really want to compare murder rates between Mexico and the US? Didn't think so.

Maybe they'll pass legislation outlawing knives to stop all the beheadings. That should do the trick...

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...violence_N.htm

au contraire, the murder rate in mexico city in 2009 was 9/100,000 residents. That's paradise compared to Detroit's 48/100,000 rate.

Even counting the whole country, Mexico's firearm related death rate is 11/100000 compared to the US at 9/100000. That is not so different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

Nice trip : )

When you are in the south check this one out http://www.redcoachusa.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    See if you can find our streetcars and send them back
    Did they not get crushed in the earthquake?

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...violence_N.htm

au contraire, the murder rate in mexico city in 2009 was 9/100,000 residents. That's paradise compared to Detroit's 48/100,000 rate.

Even counting the whole country, Mexico's firearm related death rate is 11/100000 compared to the US at 9/100000. That is not so different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate
    You can try to selectively grab stats and compare apples to oranges all you want, but the fact is here are the murder rates between the 2 countries:

Mexico: 16.9 per 100,000 residents
    United States: 4.2 per 100,000 residents

To put it in English, you are more than 4x as likely to be murdered in Mexico than you are in the US.

We've got plenty of our own problems here, but it's a helluva lot safer than Mexico. And just because they prefer to cut people's heads off rather than shoot them doesn't make it better.
    Last edited by JVB; December-16-12 at 02:59 PM.

Is that really necessary? Is that what you say someone describing a great travel experience? I feel very sorry for you.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Is that really necessary? Is that what you say someone describing a great travel experience? I feel very sorry for you.
    It means the same thing as "Break a leg" - it's just how we wish people going to Mexico good luck now.

It means the same thing as "Break a leg" - it's just how we wish people going to Mexico good luck now.
    Yeah I'm sure that's what you meant....

EBW I agree. Megabus!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    EBW I agree. Megabus!
    i hope detroit can get something going and soon with better transit services.

my little birds tweet about a most auspisious anouncment coming this thursday

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    my little birds tweet about a most auspisious anouncment coming this thursday
    Still expecting some news today?

My neighbor got back from Mexico last week. He works for an automotive supplier. The plant he was at got a call while he was there, "send Maria out or at noon we're coming in to get her". Maria worked production at the plant. A quick confab was held, Maria, who was said to be involved in the drug industry, was summoned to the office and sent out to her likely death. Local Mexican management had determined that Maria was going to die either way, but if they didn't send her out others in the plant would be harmed as well. They figured Maria had sealed her own fate by getting involved in the drug trade. My neighbor's suggestion to call the cops was met with the kind of look that says "you aren't from around here, are you?" The company wants him to transfer down there. Uhh, he said no.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    But he'll be the first to tell you that he's not racist, he just votes for them.