Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Three Great New Books about the area's architecture

We are blessed with the recent publication of three very valuable books about the architectural history of our area.
    Michael Hodges, Michigan's Historic Railroad Stations [[WSU Press), contains extremely informative pictures of 31 depots and provides information about their history and their importance to the communities they served.
    Detroit's Historic Places of Worship by Marla Collum, Barbara Krueger and Dorothy Kostsuch [[WSU Press) provides a great deal of information about and pictures of 36 Detroit and Hamtramck churches and one temple. You can appreciate the exterior beauty of these sites but these authors include very impressive pictures of the interiors.
    Dan Austin's Forgotten Landmarks of Detroit, includes pictures and descriptions of 13 buildings, one sculpture and one boat that have been razed. It is a very informative book.
    It is great that these authors have devoted so much time and effort to bring our attention to the architectural history of this area.

I read Austin's Forgotten Landmarks. It's really good. It brings to life some beautiful buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by neavling View Post
    I read Austin's Forgotten Landmarks. It's really good. It brings to life some beautiful buildings.
    Is that the one with the picture of the auditorium and procenium of the Eastown Theatre on the dust jacket?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Is that the one with the picture of the auditorium and procenium of the Eastown Theatre on the dust jacket?
    Nope. You're thinking of his first book "Lost Detroit: Stories Behind the Motor City's Majestic Ruin."

This new book "Forgotten Landmarks of Detroit" shows the demolition of Old City Hall on its cover.

http://historicdetroit.org/shop/

dan's book is a great read, i would suggest picking it up.

I just got my copy of "Forgotten Landmarks of Detroit" and it is a terrific book, no Detroit history or building head should be without it.

While not strictly architecturally oriented Horse Power Men & Machines by Nicholas Sinacori from The Village of Fairview Historical Society contains quite a bit of info on Fairview and the buildings contained in the village.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can I post about a new old book? I was amazed to see Hawkins Ferry's "Buildings of Detroit" back in print! It's at the Detroit store in Somerset. Same $99 as amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Buildings-Detr...ldings+detroit