Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default "Watch out for #000000s, they will rob you." GPF mugging reaction

Very classy.

Ballsy enough to be racist, not ballsy enough to go all the way out.

JVB Guest

I agree with you, I prefer racists to come right out and say how they feel like Jamie Foxx did on SNL. That way we don't have to wonder what they mean, using hex code like this is just goofy.

Talk about your codespeak.

The "000000" is the technical RBG [[Red Blue Green) color code for "black." According to the article it does appear to be used in a cryptoracist way although the RBG color code scheme itself has absolutely nothing to do with race.

The BB code for black here would be "[color=#000000]Lorem Ipsum[/color]" [[where "Lorem Ipsum" is just arbitrary text for illustration purposes). It appears as Lorem Ipsum.

White would be "[color=#FFFFFF]Lorem Ipsum[/color]". It [[dis)appears as Lorem Ipsum. [[Select it with your mouse to see that it is actually there.)

Gray would be "[color=#808080]Lorem Ipsum[/color]". It appears as Lorem Ipsum.

16,777,216 unique colors can be defined with this RGB color code.

They're fun to play with!

Meanwhile in Connecticut...

I don't think any of us can talk about anybody being more or less violent.

I can't believe people would post these statements, especially with their names attached to them.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Very classy.

Ballsy enough to be racist, not ballsy enough to go all the way out.
    No offense, brizee, but I can't remember the last time I read a stockbroker robbed a CEO @ gunpoint for his Blackberry. These kind of stories are appearing more frequently in that neighborhood. If you want peoples perception of someone to change, perhaps the community ought to work on some of it's more problematic members? Just sayin'....

I find the ignorance of the general public disgusting and offensive. it's the same old song and dance over and over.

And I mean the ignorance on both sides.

- Calling out the race and needless inflaming already existing hostility and resentment is destructive and stupid.

- HonkyTonk has a point. If out of 1,000 incidents of violent muggings at gunpoint, 990 of them were wearing Green Bay Packers jerseys, then it's totally reasonable to resent and fear Green Bay fans.

We need to level up and find less hurtful and more constructive ways to talk about violence and race, otherwise we'll never get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    No offense, brizee, but I can't remember the last time I read a stockbroker robbed a CEO @ gunpoint for his Blackberry. These kind of stories are appearing more frequently in that neighborhood. If you want peoples perception of someone to change, perhaps the community ought to work on some of it's more problematic members? Just sayin'....
    Silly Honky, when stockbrokers rob CEOs, it rarely makes the papers. Heck, when the bankers robbed the f'in' WORLD, it almost didn't get reported...and may not have if they didn't demand public bailouts. How much did we actually learn about Bernie Madoff's idiocy? [[then again, tonnage of folk were embarassed to hell they got involved with the guy)

That said, crime is on the increase in Grosse Pointe Park, too. The cops are being very visibly more active these past few days. We learned of a few businesses near the old hardware store which've been broken into recently.

No cheers on that.

What the hell does a stockbroker robbing a CEO have to do with someone saying "watch out for blacks"???

It is ALL the result of income inequality. seriously. there is a nearly 1-1 correlation between the level of income inequality and crime. The wider the divide, the higher the crime and violence rate. Also the higher the rate of chronic disease, etc...

seriously, read the Spirit Level

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    It is ALL the result of income inequality. seriously. there is a nearly 1-1 correlation between the level of income inequality and crime. The wider the divide, the higher the crime and violence rate. Also the higher the rate of chronic disease, etc...

This is a massive oversimplification. US violent crime rates have been dropping rapidly since the 70s. Guess what has been rising rapidly in the same period: US income inequality. I'm not saying inequality isn't part of the story, but it is just one part.

Amen to that. You think it's bad now.....

I would agree that the codespeak is racist and very troubling, but it's also very sad that everyone knows the odds on young black males from Detroit participating in GP crimes.

GP is plenty diverse nowadays, and I doubt there's any difference in the characteristics of whites and blacks within the Pointes, but given that they border a horrible, crimeridden neighborhood that is almost 100% black, the criminal threats to their community will be disproportionately from that area.

That's also one reason that I think the Pointes are a bit less solid of a long-term bet than some other affluent areas. They have plenty of unique challenges, and gorgeous housing and top-flight schools may not be enough, in the long run.

Presuming that this is true...and I do think there is much truth to it...are you saying that you think the following is more accurate:

"Watch out for poor people. They will rob you."

Because if so, the question is...what do we do next?

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    "Watch out for poor people. They will rob you."
    Is poverty highly correlated with crime in the U.S.? I'm not certain that's true.

There's probably a postive correlation, but I would think race, gender, and age would be more highly correlated. I'm pretty sure the poorest counties in Michigan are all Up North, in the UP, and I doubt there's too much violent crime.

Young, poor, black males probably get the worst of the lot, because they have all the characteristics that indicates higher propensity for crime. That's, in part, why there's so much racial profiling. It's partly racism, and partly playing the rough odds.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    GP is plenty diverse nowadays, and I doubt there's any difference in the characteristics of whites and blacks within the Pointes, but given that they border a horrible, crimeridden neighborhood that is almost 100% black, the criminal threats to their community will be disproportionately from that area.
    I guess GPP might be diverse by Detroit area standards -- it's only slightly less white than Detroit is black -- but that's about it. GPP also neighbors some nice, predominantly black neighborhoods of Detroit. I think the residents of those areas would still take offense to this comment... Not to mention that they have to deal with the same criminals that target GPP, but they probably get it far worse.

Farms:
    The racial makeup of the city was 95.4% White, 1.8% African American, 0.2% Native American, 1.3% Asian, 0.4% from other races, and 1.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.0% of the population.

GP:
    The racial makeup of the city was 93.2% White, 3.3% African American, 0.1% Native American, 1.6% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.2% from other races, and 1.5% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.8% of the population.

Park:
    The racial makeup of the city was 85.0% White, 10.5% African American, 0.2% Native American, 1.8%Asian, 0.5% from other races, and 1.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.5% of the population.

Shores:
    The racial makeup of the city was 92.8% White, 1.9% African American, 0.3% Native American, 3.8% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 1.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.9% of the population

Woods:
    The racial makeup of the city was 91.4% White, 4.5% African American, 0.1% Native American, 2.4% Asian, 0.3% from other races, and 1.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.7% of the population.

Thanks for clarifying: Iheart; the Pointes aren't quite as diverse as I thought.

The schools are signficantly more diverse, though, and that's often a leading indicator of the future demographics.

And you're right; not all the Detroit neighborhoods bordering the Pointes are horrible, but most are pretty bad, and even the good ones likely have elevated rates of crime and social disorder relative to the Pointes.

JVB Guest

Source.

As you can see, there is very little direct correlation between poverty level and crime.
    Last edited by JVB; December-15-12 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    As you can see, there is very little direct correlation between poverty level and crime.
    Yes, but there may be a correlation between income disparity and crime. Intuitively speaking, there's not going to be a lot of poverty related crime if there are 10,000 of us living in 3rd world conditions.

But when 10,000 of us are poor living directly next to 10,000 of the wealthiest people in the world....you're gonna have some problems.

Source.

Maybe....but read this article:

http://blogs.jccc.edu/campusledger/2...y-cause-crime/

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    “There is phenomenon among people who live in concentrated poverty,” Ward said. “I call it pre-emptive aggression. If you’re someone who lives in an area that’s kind of dangerous, you commit an act of crime so people know not to mess with you. You need to show you’re tough, but now I have to be tougher than you, so I need to go commit a worse crime.”

Ok, So then it's just like living in the Pointes. It's called "keeping up with the Jones's"

White america has never thought much of us.

I don't commit any crimes against anyone.

I'll be damned if I'm made to be a flag bearer for 30 millions Americans.

I don't go around saying "Watch out for CACS. They're fake two-faced racists who'll only speak what they really feel about you when your back is turned".

Do women have stop dressing like smuts for men to stop being misogynists?

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    White america has never thought much of us.

I don't commit any crimes against anyone.

I'll be damned if I'm made to be a flag bearer for 30 millions Americans.

I don't go around saying "Watch out for CACS. They're fake two-faced racists who'll only speak what they really feel about you when your back is turned".

Do women have stop dressing like smuts for men to stop being misogynists?

Agreed!
    And I would add that its no different than those who would ask people they perceive as being Gay to not "act so Gay" in public.

I agree with you, I prefer racists to come right out and say how they feel like Jamie Foxx did on SNL. That way we don't have to wonder what they mean, using hex code like this is just goofy.

Funny... I just finished working on a movie in Montreal where Jamie Foxx played... the President!

Anyways, yeah this GPP mentality is pretty weird. That walled-off theme is just the other side of the ghetto mentality that they claim to abhorr. This is the same old- same old that entrenches the status quo for years to come. I doubt the metropolitan area can get some consensual thing going if this is the reaction you can poll on twitter by a sizable margin.

It is actually a very witty joke, even if it is racist. Granted, I would bet the author meant it tongue in cheek. Usually the racist ranters aren't particularly intelligent enough to be so witty.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast