Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bates Garage Demolition. DEGC Proposal

Some sort of new development, or even better, a terminus for BRT [[if Rosa's not to be used), fantastic.

Another surface lot, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I wonder if the demo will include the National Theater. I also wonder if any special provisions will be made to protect the National from further damage.

I hear there's a development in the works. The garage is useless, and needs to be demolished before the project can move forward. The project is an expansion of a staple in Birmingham. I don't know a whole lot of specifics, but Pulse is being compensated for a move down Monroe into Greektown.

This is merely an RFP for hazardous materials abatement, but needs to happen before redevelopment can happen, either way.

What GJ does best!

I dont get it. Isn't there a shortage of parking downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I wonder if the demo will include the National Theater. I also wonder if any special provisions will be made to protect the National from further damage.
    Gnome, I don't think that the National Theatre is in any danger of being demolished.... although since the interior plasterwork is so far gone [[worse than the United Artists)... I could see one day that possibly only the facade and towers are saved [[and maybe the Pewabic Pottery outer lobby).
    Last edited by Gistok; December-14-12 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    I dont get it. Isn't there a shortage of parking downtown?
    This parking garage is dilapidated. Would need millions of dollars in repairs. Also it has very low clearance, so it wouldn't be able to fit today's SUVs even if it were usable.

a development or paving the way for potential development?

i have a feeling a larger garage err retail complex is going to replace it. wouldn't be a bad spot for residential being right between greektown and campus martius.

This is good news for the National Theatre as it would be hard to imagine any new development on that block not including a restored NT building...either as a "restored" auditorium or repurposed for a new use.
    Last edited by detroitbob; December-16-12 at 01:39 AM.

That garage is ugly. Hopefully there's good development in the works.

is it just me or does the DEGC just like to blow things up?

Don't we all like to blow things up?

Is the underground access part of the bates garage or separate?
    There's a ramp in the middle of the street next to that place.
    So I wonder if it's bigger underground than above?

I was wondering why this garage was not being used, considering the need for parking in that area. Also curious as to where the underground ramp in the middle of Monroe goes, as well as the random stairwell in front of the Chase\Quicken building that leads underground.

With looking at this location, once they tear down this parking garage I suggest they build a mixed-used building here. I see a individual building for "City Target" right here, it's a great location for it. The Target in the Chicago loop area is a great example of what I see here, along with opening a House of Blues next door at the National Theatre building. They can build a parking garage atop of a two-story "City Target", will all the retail and restaurants planned along Broadway, Monroe and Randolph this could be the "connector" anchor store between the areas.

Chicago's Target store, possible Detroit concept store.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor56 View Post
    I was wondering why this garage was not being used, considering the need for parking in that area. Also curious as to where the underground ramp in the middle of Monroe goes, as well as the random stairwell in front of the Chase\Quicken building that leads underground.
    The ramp in the middle of Monroe heads to the B1 level of the Compuware parking structure.

Here's the Chicago Target Store... the first 2 floors of the historic Carson Pirie Scott Building in Chicago....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...s_Sullivan.jpg

Gilbert should really look into this site and acquire "City Target" for that block. Restore the National Theatre for the House of Blues and build your shiny new World Headquarter with a AMC Theaters and other retail on the Monroe Block. That whole strip can be yours, which is a mess now compare to what's across the street at Compuware. The Monroe street will be amazing from Greektown to Campus Martius Park, filled with natonal and local retails and restaurants, connecting up Broadway st., Woodward Ave and Paradise Valley district.

I certainly would be excited if it were to happen, but is that really a great location for a Target? It seems as though it's not real close to most of the residential downtown. Seems like somewhere around Clifford/Woodward would be better.

I agree spartan. you are much more likely to see something like that on the Hudson's block.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I certainly would be excited if it were to happen, but is that really a great location for a Target? It seems as though it's not real close to most of the residential downtown. Seems like somewhere around Clifford/Woodward would be better.
    Well I agree sort of, I figure the location is more visible. It's a large corner area with thousands of people crossing that location from Greektown to Campus Martius. Residents aren't but a few blocks from this area in all directions, the people mover only a block away. I was thinking that the surface parking lot next to the Wayne County building on Randolph can add a high-rise residential building to fill in the gaps. It gets pretty dead and isolated most of the time, residential can add more pedestrian activity along randolph, connecting with the Millender Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    It's not that far and that location is a couple of blocks from Campus Martius it's practically in the middle of downtown

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    It's not that far and that location is a couple of blocks from Campus Martius it's practically in the middle of downtown
    True, nothing is really far away downtown and that area has a good amount of momentum with the Buffalo Wild Wings, Gilbert's garage, a couple new spots in Greektown and there is a good amount of traffic around there. All I know, is if they put a Target downtown, I'll be there often, probably daily.

its not an appealing pedestrian corner right now. it's a long walk across randolph from greektown and despite being near the new bww you dont get a lot of greektown traffic there. it is surrounded by parking structures, parking lots and the waterboard building. you are going to want a lot more foot traffic if your putting in a target and at this point in downtown's development you are going to want to be near where the residential is going in and that is the woodward corridor. in that area you have the broderick, with the whitney not far behind, merchants row, three buildings being redeveloped in capitol park and now what gilbert is doing with his new buildings and residential. you put retail like target near those buildings, not randolph and monroe right now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast