Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Legislature wants to make it that much harder to recall officials here.

These guys... these guys are just pissing... they're pissing all over us.

They're pissing on you. What does it taste like? Michigan, what does it taste like, 'cause you know what, it tastes like piss to me!

I don't like the changes to recalls. It's quite obvious they're trying to protect themselves from union-funded backlash.

I like a lot of the other ones. Not all of these things are right\republican issues being passed. There's a lot of good things being done for Detroit too.

True.

It's like Chris Rock's anecdote for being black in america.

Uncle Sam paid your entire way through college. But he also molested you from the age of three.

The good is good.

But the bad is fucking atrocious.

If there's justice, Jase Bolger will be jailed before he's recalled.

this is the kind of shit you would expect in a third world fascist state not America.

The last few weeks in this state have really been unbelievable.

I believe much of this recent unprecedented contempt for the electorate is a direct consequence of Citizens United. More politicians believe that their offices can be acquired via money rather than votes. If they're correct, we can just kiss fair elections goodbye.

Yeah, the Republicans are kickin ass and taking names. They are making Michigan much tougher to live here. Let the exodus begin...

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Worst I can remember in my nearly 50 years of existence

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Yeah, the Republicans are kickin ass and taking names. They are making Michigan much tougher to live here. Let the exodus begin...
    It won't start as long as Big 3 Union employment is strong and the Japanese cars are junk.

Making it harder to recall elected officials sounds like a good idea but perhaps it should be done in stages in case there are some unseen negative consequences. Suggest we inflict it on the current Republicans and then they can extend it later when we find out if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post

I don't know what's becoming of Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    I don't know what's becoming of Michigan
    I do, and it makes me very sad.

Its not a bad idea. Unfortunately when liberals do not like a conservative republican's beliefs they will attempt a recall in order to harass them. If a liberal democrat politician [[especially in Wayne County) is caught stealing it does not happen. All about politics.

Quote Originally Posted by noggin View Post
    Its not a bad idea. Unfortunately when liberals do not like a conservative republican's beliefs they will attempt a recall in order to harass them. If a liberal democrat politician [[especially in Wayne County) is caught stealing it does not happen. All about politics.
    Yeah, holding politicians accountable is harassment.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Yeah, holding politicians accountable is harassment.
    Not harassment, but elections do have consequences. I remember people picketing downtown and floating petitions to recall Snyder 6 weeks after he took office. I hadn't even had time to form an opinion on the guy [[didn't vote for him) and here was a group of people mobilized to reverse the election that had just taken place for no other reason than he wasn't the guy they wanted to win.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I do, and it makes me very sad.

Truth be told I suspsect I full well know what the state's becoming. It initally made me very very sad too. Now it's pissing me off!!!

I don't like recalls. Once you elect someone, live with your choice. So I'm for making recalls harder.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I don't like recalls. Once you elect someone, live with your choice. So I'm for making recalls harder.
    Why?

You can get divorced when your spouse reveals themselves to be someone else than what you were led to believe when you got married.

But a politician has license to fuck us over as much as he can during his term?

This is one of the best editorials I've read on the last few weeks.

I really hope the media actually does their job over the next two years.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Actually, recalls are very important and critical tool for the citizens to use in order to hold our politicians accountable. The recall laws did not need to be strengthened or weakened, the laws should have been left alone. The problem is, as JVB pointed out, when citizens use the recall process as a form of sour grapes. In my opinion, that is abuse. But when a politician neglects his or her job or does something that is unlawful or beneath the standards of the constituents, there should be a process so the citizens can recall that politician.

Of course, let me point out one thing. Recalling a politician before this new legislation was passed was already difficult, as it should have been. Even though there was a recall effort launched against Rick Snyder six weeks into his term [[I thought that was stupid as well), the recall effort failed. Politicians that promote the best interests of their citizens never have to worry about being recalled.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; December-19-12 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Actually, recalls are very important and critical tool for the citizens to use in order to hold our politicians accountable. The recall laws did not need to be strengthened or weakened, the laws should have been left alone. The problem is, as JVB pointed out, when citizens use the recall process as a form of sour grapes. In my opinion, that is abuse. But when a politician neglects his or her job or does something that is unlawful or beneath the standards of the constituents, there should be a process so the citizens can recall that politician.

Of course, let me point out one thing. Recalling a politician before this new legislation was passed was already difficult, as it should have been. Even though there was a recall effort launched against Rick Snyder six weeks into his term [[I thought that was stupid as well), the recall effort failed. Politicians that promote the best interests of their citizens never have to worry about being recalled.
    I think the recall laws are fine as is. It's the right of every citizen to initiate a recall attempt, and yes even for reasons that some of us may disagree with. I'm fine with that - sometimes thats the only "weapon" available for use....
    ...and it turns out that those who tried to warn us about Snyder were right after all...