Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Harper Ave. Geneva's finally and truly closed

As was discussed in a previous thread, for sale signs for months, spotty hours too.
    Drove by yesterday, lot chained, windows and door boarded up.
    Wood had some "we've moved" info, but I am not sure if it referred to the Kelly location as I was driving too fast to read it all.
    Looks like it's finally done.

There's another Geneva's on Kelly in Harper Woods [[FWIW).

Quote Originally Posted by Krawlspace View Post
    As was discussed in a previous thread, for sale signs for months, spotty hours too.
    Drove by yesterday, lot chained, windows and door boarded up.
    Wood had some "we've moved" info, but I am not sure if it referred to the Kelly location as I was driving too fast to read it all.
    Looks like it's finally done.

They were always busy at lunch time, generally busier then the Wendy's or McDonalds in that area. Definitely wasn't the cleanest place in town, sure was tasty though!

Too many knuckleheads wandering in, from what I heard. Sad. I'm gonna miss that place. I've had many fun encounters there at 2:30 a.m. with the I-Rock crowd and various oddballs spilling out of the bars.

I'm at Genevas on Kelly right now. They even have wifi!

Awww. That was one of my favorites back when I lived there. I can still remember those bags-of-5-burgers-to go. Just as well that was back in my teens when it was still not QUITE as sinful for me to eat that way.

So they have relocated to Kelly now? Whereabouts on Kelly? [[Not that I'll ever see it; as Ernie Harwell would say I'm LOOOONNGG GONE from Michigan, but still curious!)

Hey - 7andKelly- if you happen to see this - would/could you post a picture[[s) of the new Geneva's here for us?

Do the burgers taste the same at the new Geneva's?

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    So they have relocated to Kelly now? Whereabouts on Kelly? [[Not that I'll ever see it; as Ernie Harwell would say I'm LOOOONNGG GONE from Michigan, but still curious!)
    The new Geneva's is in the commercial strip between 7 & 8 Mile.

It's before you reach the Chase bank branch and past the first traffic signal after Moross [[going towards Eastland).
    Last edited by 313WX; June-30-09 at 02:32 PM.

So, it sounds like it's somewhere north of Elkhart and south of Woodside. That narrows it down. Thanks! Now I wonder what it replaced?

I found a listing for Geneva's Cafe at 19524 Kelly Rd, Harper Woods, MI 48225. That would place it between Roscommon and Woodside, about the middle of the block.

It's right next to the old Stan and Ollies, which is now Charlie Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    Too many knuckleheads wandering in, from what I heard. Sad. I'm gonna miss that place. I've had many fun encounters there at 2:30 a.m. with the I-Rock crowd and various oddballs spilling out of the bars.
    You ain't kidding buddy, one day I was in there having lunch and some lunatic was drinking all the coffee cream out of those silver things with the lids on the counter.

Didn't move to far for the knuckleheads to find

The bugers at the Kelly location taste the same but the ambiance is not quite the same! Who remembers Mary on the midnight shift years ago?

4real Guest

It used to be a turn around for truckers back in the 50's. The food was ok for a diner
    I went in there awhile ago and they were playing "I'm a sexy mother F-er" loud, with kids in there.

Anyone remember the waitress who worked there like 15+ years and got shot on the way in one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    Geneva's was the best place to go after IRock! I moved out of state a few years back-can't find burger like that anywhere-we used to call them sliders!

Funjon1- we used to give bump Mary, hell.

Quote Originally Posted by funjon1 View Post
    The bugers at the Kelly location taste the same but the ambiance is not quite the same! Who remembers Mary on the midnight shift years ago?

I never had the bugers at the Kelly location but I'll take your word for it. I think I'll pass though

Quote Originally Posted by 4real View Post
    It used to be a turn around for truckers back in the 50's. The food was ok for a diner
    I went in there awhile ago and they were playing "I'm a sexy mother F-er" loud, with kids in there.

Anyone remember the waitress who worked there like 15+ years and got shot on the way in one day.
    About 10 years or so ago, there was a dayshift waitress / cook who was a double for Drew Barrymore, she was cute as hell. I used to go there all the time, this was back when Paul owned the place.

Softtail- Paul probably scared her !

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I never had the bugers at the Kelly location but I'll take your word for it. I think I'll pass though
    My bad on the spelling of burgers! Next time I definitely proofread.

Quote Originally Posted by funjon1 View Post
    My bad on the spelling of burgers! Next time I definitely proofread.

Sorry for making fun of it jon it was just too easy to pass on.

Another devestating loss for Harper Avenue.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    About 10 years or so ago, there was a dayshift waitress / cook who was a double for Drew Barrymore, she was cute as hell. I used to go there all the time, this was back when Paul owned the place.

Her name was Bridget English, Good friend. she injured herself a few years back and is only doing light work now. I talked with her a few months back and she's doing as well as to be expected. She has stated many times how she misses working at Geneva's, mostly the people that came in. Paul [[past owner) died two years ago. He never did get over the death of his only son. As I stated in another thread " the death of yet another era"

FlyByDon