Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What is THIS Vehicle?

It has been parked during the days in the structure near the Port Authority for a few days, at least.

Can't say it's pretty, but then again most innovative car designs have had to grow into fondness.

Name:  WhatsItDetroit.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  35.6 KB

That looks like something someone built in their garage

Judging by the fact that it looks like a home-brewed custom, and the wheels are four-lug steelies, I'm going to guess some variation on an old VW.

A vintage Range Rover maybe?

A 1990 Converse Sneaker Gt ?

It's definitly not a Land Rover and there's no such thing as a vintage Range Rover. The range rover was a 70's invention to add an upmarket option to the wonderful Land Rover working vehicle line.

It's a VW kit car. The rims are definitely Vintage VW. The fuel fillers on the front drivers side, so fuel tank under hood. The door handles and hinges scream VW beetle. It's of late 70's early 80's vintage. The headlight are late 70s early 80s sealed beams.

Looks like an airport tug, used to move jets around.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikki Pooh View Post
    A vintage Range Rover maybe?
    I was about to say that it looks like a Range Rover thats been chopped and channeled!
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; December-12-12 at 03:15 PM.

When given that image as a search term, Google Images found more beds than vehicles. Nothing matched closely though. I think it's just matching images containing big slabs of white but that's still a good indicator that it's a unique vehicle.

You could try leaving a note on the windshield asking the owner to call you. They're probably proud of it.

Early Lego Revival?

The front lights/grill and bumper remind me of the front of the last generation of postal vans... like this one: http://images.pluginamerica.org/.a/6...dcb970c-pi.jpg

I realize after actually comparing, they aren't that similar... but maybe an earlier generation?

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    The front lights/grill and bumper remind me of the front of the last generation of postal vans... like this one: http://images.pluginamerica.org/.a/6...dcb970c-pi.jpg

I realize after actually comparing, they aren't that similar... but maybe an earlier generation?
    Good catch. Grumman was the manufacturer of that. A quick google search reals that it looks like the Grumman Cub Van from the early 1980's but not quite.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    The front lights/grill and bumper remind me of the front of the last generation of postal vans...
    I thought the same thing about the windshield.

I think it's a Thom_Hartmann