Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is the Book Tower next for residential conversion?

A few months ago I toured the under construction Broderick Tower. While on the tour, the property manager mentioned that once the Broderick is finished Beale would begin work on another downtown gem: the Book Tower. She stated that earlier that week [[sometime in September) Beale signed preliminary paper work to turn the Book in to 300+ apartments, and that the work would be done [[start to finish) in around 5 years. With that being said; was she just spouting some rumor around Beale or is there any truth to her statements? I usually subscribe to the idea where there is smoke, there is fire….but this is Detroit we’re talking about.

Does anyone have insight to add?

I have no inside info, but you'd think with their remarkable success leasing the Broderick [[100% leased 5 days after opening) that they might be looking around downtown for the next project. The Book i would assume would be in better shape than the Broderick as it has been occupied much more recently. While the location isn't as good as the Broderick, the views have to be just as good if not better!

Only that it would require a mighty effort to get the financing. That is a big project, even with the tax credits available for the building.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    A few months ago I toured the under construction Broderick Tower. While on the tour, the property manager mentioned that once the Broderick is finished Beale would begin work on another downtown gem: the Book Tower. She stated that earlier that week [[sometime in September) Beale signed preliminary paper work to turn the Book in to 300+ apartments, and that the work would be done [[start to finish) in around 5 years. With that being said; was she just spouting some rumor around Beale or is there any truth to her statements? I usually subscribe to the idea where there is smoke, there is fire….but this is Detroit we’re talking about.

Here's my insight: DAYUMMMMMN.

The Book would probably rival the new sports arena as the crowning achievement in downtown's revitalization if this occurred.

The size of the building, the small floorplates, the need for inside stairwells for emergency exits, etc. are going to make this a very difficult and expensive conversion.

What seemed strange is that she had some pretty precise numbers [[the details of which I do not remember, since it was somewhat in passing), so I assume this information would be leaking soon. However, since the tour I haven’t seen a peep.

i think the future of the book tower has to be residential, i dont think the building has much appeal to businesses. it is just a matter of when and i think now is as good a time as ever. like everything else down there the financing is going to be tricky, i just hope it doesnt take as long from concept to reality as the broderick was.

You are correct about that. The ground floor is a separate issue, but the only future the other floors have is residential. The question is whether you can afford to renovate the building for the rents you would be able to charge, even after the tax credits. The building isn't in terrible shape, but it would need massive changes/updates to be a residential building.

Is Ferchill still part of the project? I know when Key Group/Ferchill first got involved, mixed-use was the plan - lower floors office, upper floors residential. They were aiming for a LEED gold certification

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    You are correct about that. The ground floor is a separate issue, but the only future the other floors have is residential. The question is whether you can afford to renovate the building for the rents you would be able to charge, even after the tax credits. The building isn't in terrible shape, but it would need massive changes/updates to be a residential building.
    Would one of those features be duct work? I would assume there is a boiler/radiator system in there. I would also assume that they would like to upgrade to a furnace/forced air system. Problem with these old building is that it chews up a lot of space to add this system.

Any input?

i wonder if it is even feasible to put a stairwell inside of the tower of if they will have to add to the outside of the building.

i had the chance to tour 1212 griswold which is the building across gratiot from the stott tower. from the outside it looks as though it has a really cool atrium space as it shares the same U shape as the dime buildings and its all glass. years ago though to modernize the building they were forced to put a stairwell in the open end of the building thus killing the views from the interior. there is a lightwell now but the building is nothing like it once was, its almost criminal but was necessary to keep it from the wrecking ball. i wouldnt be surprised if they had to alter the tower to accomodate a new stairwell to bring things up to code. it will be interesting to see what kinds of solutions they come up with.

You mean Beal, correct?

How many elevators does the tower of the Book Tower have? Maybe 1 or 2 of the elevator shafts could be converted to an interal staircase? Regardless, it will be an expensive feat.

Steam heat would not be used. HVAC is always a challenge, but not a show stopper.

I predict that the Book Tower and building will be the last building downtown to be re-developed but then again, I never thought the Book Cadillac would be re-developed.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    You mean Beal, correct?

How many elevators does the tower of the Book Tower have? Maybe 1 or 2 of the elevator shafts could be converted to an interal staircase? Regardless, it will be an expensive feat.
    My memory could be faulty, but I think there were two banks of three public elevators each. However, I also think that not all the elevators went all the way up.

Not to sidetrack, but anybody know when we can expect to see the first signs of renovation work at the David Whitney?

The Book Tower already has a stairwell inside.... ironically located right next to the outside fire stairwell. Question is this... with a lower density occupation [[say 4 residential units per floor, versus many more office space "residents")... is there a need for another stairwell? Will there even be a need for an outside fire stairwell?

Fire code requires 2 stairwells that do not empty into the same area. I think the external would suffice but I am not 100% certain on what the code states.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The Book Tower already has a stairwell inside.... ironically located right next to the outside fire stairwell. Question is this... with a lower density occupation [[say 4 residential units per floor, versus many more office space "residents")... is there a need for another stairwell? Will there even be a need for an outside fire stairwell?

Fire code requires 2 stairwells that do not empty into the same area. I think the external would suffice but I am not 100% certain on what the code states.
    I do not know the condition of the fire escape on the Book now but I was on it in the late 80's and is was not pretty! As for the Book the building should have been converted to residential decades ago.

Thanks for the quick response! That outside one would probably be have to be replaced... but it would be a lot cheaper than creating a 2nd indoor one. And as scary as such an outside staircase is... during a fire emergency... I'm sure people would overcome their fear in a hurry, if it was a matter of life or death.

The odds of needing it are pretty small, so as long as it meets code, I would think people would be OK with it. People don't rent apartments with the idea that they are going to have to escape from them.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I do not know the condition of the fire escape on the Book now but I was on it in the late 80's and is was not pretty! As for the Book the building should have been converted to residential decades ago.
    Aw come on... p69.... where's your sense of adventure and excitement...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How many elevators does the tower of the Book Tower have? Maybe 1 or 2 of the elevator shafts could be converted to an internal staircase? Regardless, it will be an expensive feat.
    Office buildings generate a lot more trips than residential ones so the Book might be able to go with fewer elevators. That being said, a stairwell would need a lot more space than what you could expect to get out of your typical elevator shaft. The landings alone would probably fill the space.

THX Gistok!!! Nice image though.

My palms are sweating just from that picture.

Code now requires that the two stairs be enclosed. It may be possible to grandfather in existing exterior fire escapes if they are serviceable. But I don't think you can grandfather them in with a change of use [[from office use to residential use). Anyway, code also requires in renovations of [[something like) more then 50% of the building, that you must bring the whole building up to code. And exterior fire escapes would not be allowed to be grandfathered in. Which would be the case here.

Also the existing enclosed stairs, may not be up to current code as well. Such as the stair rise and run [[how steep they are), stair width, and guard rail heights. So they may have to be rebuilt to be made larger. But the Michigan Rehabilitation code makes some allowances for existing stairs, as long as they aren't to far out of line.

Also if the elevators are small then at least one of them would have to be made larger. Code now requires that in buildings over 4 stories that at least one elevator be able to accommodate a stretcher.

In addition to all that, if the existing stair and elevator shafts do not meet the current fire ratings [[the length of time they can survive a fire) then that will also have to be addressed.
    Last edited by Gorath; December-12-12 at 03:10 PM.

Given how incredible the facade cleaning and restoration went at the Broderick [[which I didn't think looked that bad until I saw it being cleaned!!!), I can only imagine what a resotre exterior would look like on the Book Tower!

I worked in the Book one summer in the tower... the staircase inside was pretty interesting by itself, definitely an abnormal footprint. Was great to be able to look out windows on the way up/down as well... made for easy exploring during lunch breaks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast