Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hantz Sale Passes City Council Vote

Yes votes were: Council Members Pugh, Cockrel, Tate, Brown and Jenkins.

Comment accordingly.
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; December-11-12 at 01:00 PM.

Well, now that it passed, I hope the appropriate City departments get out of the way and let him do his thing

JVB Guest

Surprised that Jenkins voted yes.

Finally! No shock on who the 'no' voters were. My favorite part was when Kenyatta voted 'hell to the no'. Educated politician? Doesn't talk like one.

Can't find a thing on the sale, does anyone have a link?

No mention of it in the News or FREEP?, There was however a nice shot of someone silding out of their chair and hitting the floor "do the aligator".

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Yes votes were: Council Members Pugh, Cockrel, Tate, Brown and Jenkins.

Comment accordingly.
    I'll be go to hell..........

Wonderful. Excellent. If Marie Thornton is against something it has to a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Wonderful. Excellent. If Marie Thornton is against something it has to a good thing.
    I'll add, if Thornton and Joann Watson are against something, it must be a good thing!

not speculating negative, but I hope this actually spurs some positive developments.. we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    That's funny. And true.

Overall I'm happy that this went through, though I have concerns about what happens to all this land when the city's contract expires in three years.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Overall I'm happy that this went through, though I have concerns about what happens to all this land when the city's contract expires in three years.
    Why, what are you worried about happening to the land? It's currently blighted and used for illegal dumping, is there something worse that you foresee?

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Why, what are you worried about happening to the land? It's currently blighted and used for illegal dumping, is there something worse that you foresee?
    No, but I think it's something given the size this sale that should've been spelled out. We've seen people acquire large amounts of land and not take care of it. I don't think it's probable in this case, but why leave anything to chance.

JVB Guest

No, but I think it's something given the size this sale that should've been spelled out. We've seen people acquire large amounts of land and not take care of it. I don't think it's probable in this case, but why leave anything to chance.
    OK...and if that happens then the land is the same as it is now, not worse.

OK...and if that happens then the land is the same as it is now, not worse.
    Well it's worse in that the city has no recourse. Provisions requiring upkeep or the land goes back the city, gives the city and the public a chance for a do over.

JVB Guest

Well it's worse in that the city has no recourse. Provisions requiring upkeep or the land goes back the city, gives the city and the public a chance for a do over.
    Sure they do - he stops paying property taxes you take the land back and get to keep the half million dollars. Only in Detroit would people be concerned about losing blighted, vacant land. I give up, you win.

Sure they do - he stops paying property taxes you take the land back and get to keep the half million dollars. Only in Detroit would people be concerned about losing blighted, vacant land. I give up, you win.
    Yeah I'm so freaking out of line for an wanting an out for the city. Plenty of slumlords pay the taxes on their property and the city can't just take it back for it being blighted.

JVB Guest

Yeah I'm so freaking out of line for an wanting an out for the city. Plenty of slumlords pay the taxes on their property and the city can't just take it back for it being blighted.
    I get it dude, but you're talking about land that is already in the worst condition. How do you fuck up vacant blighted land?

I get it dude, but you're talking about land that is already in the worst condition. How do you fuck up vacant blighted land?
    You're focused on the condition of the land, it's not about the land being in worse shape. It's about who will have the ultimate say if this does not work out. As it stands now for the city there is no going back, there is no do over. I don't even think a problem is likely, but I much would've preferred something in writing covering that situation.

JVB Guest

It's about who will have the ultimate say if this does not work out. As it stands now for the city there is no going back, there is no do over.
    I would trust Hantz with the land a lot more than the City of Detroit. I've already seen what they do with it.

Are meeting always a zoo these days?

Apparently. It's a circus in there. I don't know how any respectably person could conduct business in that environment when you have people yelling and screaming. It looks like a kindergarten class.