Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 1951 Detroit Yellow Pages Phone Book

A friend of mine got big money for his '65, I decided to offer my '51 for sale. I will list on eBay this Thursday for $700. If you want to make an offer before then send me a message through this forum.

$700? Holy smokes, I think the most I've ever paid for one from that era is $35. Let us know what it goes for; I might put my entire collection up for sale.

I've seen the 60s ones go for big money on eBay. My friend sold his '65 for $368 and it went to TX of all places.

Shollin Guest

I didn't know phone books were collectible.

I'm sorry, but you will be lucky to get 10% of $700-.

Of a certain age only, I've tried to sell my '91s for $10 and couldn't get any buyers. The YP are more desirable because of the business listings and graphics I assume.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    I'm sorry, but you will be lucky to get 10% of $700-.
    Not according to what they have sold for, check for yourself on Ebay.

JVB Guest

List it for $1 and set your reserve at $700. That way you don't scare off prospective bidders and have a better chance of sparking a bidding war. If it doesn't get up to $700 you don't have to sell it.

crap, saw a 1949 one at the "antiques mall" on harper in s.c.s. for $75.00 and thought that was too much. did find relatives in that book and i'm sure it also gave their occupations.

Good luck. My guess is somewhere between $10 - $30. But... you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    crap, saw a 1949 one at the "antiques mall" on harper in s.c.s. for $75.00 and thought that was too much. did find relatives in that book and i'm sure it also gave their occupations.
    That sounds more like a Polk City Directory, I have one of those too, from 1939. My Yellow Pages, just shows business listings.

Maybe Chumlee or the Old Man would have an opinion?

"Five bucks. Tops."

Do you have an e bay listing link? I couldnt find any there.

I keep an eye out for both the Bell and Polk books on eBay. A Bell "white pages" book from 1954 just sold on Sunday for $184.37 with 20 bids. I have seen some go up to around $300 or more ca. 1880 - 1930. It really depends on condition of course and who's on eBay that week. Back in October a 1940 Bell book in slightly rougher shape than the '54 book I mentioned sold for $77.05 with only 6 bids. It's always a crap shoot on eBay. For my money Polk is the only choice with their added details about businesses and individuals, but I only do general Detroit research. The Bell books can be invaluable for people researching genealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    Not according to what they have sold for, check for yourself on Ebay.
    Hey...if you do, more power to you.

I may have to put my 1959 up for sale...

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Do you have an e bay listing link? I couldnt find any there.

Listing it tomorrow night.....

Here is mine from 1958. It was a payphone book and has a hard cover and the hook/chain where is would hang from. It is in very good condition and looks like it was never used. The outer cover is fairly scuffed.

Name:  IMG_5334.JPG
Views: 4199
Size:  28.3 KBName:  IMG_5335.JPG
Views: 4501
Size:  29.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Signal View Post
    Here is mine from 1958. It was a payphone book and has a hard cover and the hook/chain where is would hang from. It is in very good condition and looks like it was never used. The outer cover is fairly scuffed.

Name:  IMG_5334.JPG
Views: 4199
Size:  28.3 KBName:  IMG_5335.JPG
Views: 4501
Size:  29.5 KB
    Sweet! If mine does not sell for $700, I am fine with keeping it, I supposed if the auction closes with out bids and some body offers me $500 I would probably take it, but nothing less.

If anyone wants to sell a Detroit phonebook I am looking to buy one. But not for $500

Quote Originally Posted by oldtvsandtoys View Post
    If anyone wants to sell a Detroit phonebook I am looking to buy one. But not for $500
    I have an 81 West Northwest Yellow pages I'll let go for $40, I have an 85 East Side White Pages on Ebay with a bid at $10, I have '91 North Woodward Yellow and White Pages $10 ea, '85 Southfield white pages $10.

I bought a 1968 Detroit yellow pages [[in an Ohio antique shop) It's got Cobo on the cover.

Did it sell yet?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Did it sell yet?
    No, but the fact I had it up for auction caused three of my other phone books to sell. I am pleased. People came into the showroom to see the Escalade and wound up buying the ATS.