Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Union Teachers ditch to attend anti-RTW rally

ive now seen that not only Warren but Taylor schools will be closed tomorrow while the union teachers run off to protest in Lansing...

so much for 'teaching because we love the kids'. what are the kids going to do now? ill bet there are PLENTY that end up running the streets...

hmmm....

What did you expect?

Well, teachers aren't babysitters. I'm sure parents will figure something out. Where do kids end up when there's no class on snowdays?

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Well, teachers aren't babysitters. I'm sure parents will figure something out. Where do kids end up when there's no class on snowdays?
    This may shock you, but school is for learning not babysitting. I may be wrong, but I think that's why we call them TEACHERS.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    This may shock you, but school is for learning not babysitting. I may be wrong, but I think that's why we call them TEACHERS.
    If only all the parents knew that.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    If only all the parents knew that.
    Amen to that.

Ummm, are you telling me what I just posted, or the Lt.? Not that it doesn't need repeating...

JVB Guest

Ummm, are you telling me what I just posted, or the Lt.? Not that it doesn't need repeating...
    Your point seemed to be that the only thing lost by the teachers skipping work was that parents would have to find a babysitter. My point is that the students actually missed out on what they should have been learning from their teachers. As usual, the union is more important than the students.

Oh, jeez.

Teachers wouldn't be teaching if they didn't have an interest in, say, educating students over just making tons of money.

Of course, nobody ever has to apologize for some smug, rich bastard who can never stoop low enough to squeeze another penny out of somebody or can never act quickly enough to defend his own pocketbook. He can golf all week and then rush off to Congress on his personal jet to complain about the latest threat to his filthy richness.

But, boy, if you're a teacher and take off any time to defend your own economic interests -- you know, so you can actually survive on doing the thing you love -- watch out! The union-haters of the world will be all over the Internet showing what a BAD, BAD TEACHER you are.

Give me a freakin' break ...

Regardless of your feelings on the issue, I hope the protests not only are peaceful, but that the protestors do not trash our State Capitol to the tune of seven million dollars as was done in Madison, Wisconsin last Spring to their
    building.

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    Regardless of your feelings on the issue, I hope the protests not only are peaceful, but that the protestors do not trash our State Capitol to the tune of seven million dollars as was done in Madison, Wisconsin last Spring to their
    building.
    Yeah, the rich only trash it by filling it with servile morons who churn out rubbish legislation. But they do keep it tidy while they inundate us with corporate bullshit.

They're trying to protect your kids, and their futures. And the fight to do so doesn't happen to be occurring conveniently during summer vacation. Pass RTW and watch educated, dedicated teachers leave the profession, and most likely the state, in droves.

We really have to fight to stop this insanity now. Why the hell are we trying to turn Michigan into Alabama or Mississippi, with an education system to match?
    Last edited by EastsideAl; December-10-12 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Oh, jeez.

Teachers wouldn't be teaching if they didn't have an interest in, say, educating students over just making tons of money.

Of course, nobody ever has to apologize for some smug, rich bastard who can never stoop low enough to squeeze another penny out of somebody or can never act quickly enough to defend his own pocketbook. He can golf all week and then rush off to Congress on his personal jet to complain about the latest threat to his filthy richness.

But, boy, if you're a teacher and take off any time to defend your own economic interests -- you know, so you can actually survive on doing the thing you love -- watch out! The union-haters of the world will be all over the Internet showing what a BAD, BAD TEACHER you are.

Give me a freakin' break ...
    My mother was a teacher. She always said the National Extortion Association and its affiliates gave up on teaching decades ago! She hated being a member because they were ONLY concerned with benefits and their pensions, not the children. While there may be a few out there who are for the children most are not. I say a pink slip should be waiting for everyone who goes to Lansing when they get back.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    My mother was a teacher. She always said the National Extortion Association and its affiliates gave up on teaching decades ago! She hated being a member because they were ONLY concerned with benefits and their pensions, not the children. While there may be a few out there who are for the children most are not. I say a pink slip should be waiting for everyone who goes to Lansing when they get back.
    I don't know about other people, but I'm not willing to craft my approach to the labor movement based on how I feel about one union. That would be like saying all government should be abolished because I don't like one of them. There are good and bad unions, sure. But the right of people to protest for them and strike and have good-faith negotiations is not something I'm willing to give up no matter how badly I dislike some unions.

What a shame that your family hated its union leaders so much that you'd rather stick it to all workers, all unions, in the name of that dissatisfaction! Seems to me a bit short-sighted...

I personally don't understand people who'd rather have three teeth in their head than a union dental card in their pocket, but it takes all kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I don't know about other people, but I'm not willing to craft my approach to the labor movement based on how I feel about one union. That would be like saying all government should be abolished because I don't like one of them. There are good and bad unions, sure. But the right of people to protest for them and strike and have good-faith negotiations is not something I'm willing to give up no matter how badly I dislike some unions.

What a shame that your family hated its union leaders so much that you'd rather stick it to all workers, all unions, in the name of that dissatisfaction! Seems to me a bit short-sighted...
    Well I made more money as a non union employee and better benefits than long time members, I got to negotiate my terms, not the terms somebody who has no clue who I am wants. You bet I don't like unions! Right now they serve to stifle efficiency and coddle poor workers. I work to take care of myself not some person who has no effect on my life. Its too bad this country has lost its individualistic spirit.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; December-10-12 at 06:11 PM.

Your point seemed to be that the only thing lost by the teachers skipping work was that parents would have to find a babysitter. My point is that the students actually missed out on what they should have been learning from their teachers. As usual, the union is more important than the students.
    No, that the only thing lost was a babysitter was not the point that I made. I just responded to OP's post. And your response did not convey what you were really getting at, hence my confusion.

The legislators are voting on this bill tomarrow. If the vote was on Saturday, the teachers would be going with all the other union members on Saturday. Knowing full well that the unions will take work off to show up at the capital in protest, isn't it just as plausible to blame the legislators for taking this up on a school day, as it is to correlate the teachers' trip to Lansing with not caring about educating their students?

No, that the only thing lost was a babysitter was not the point that I made. I just responded to OP's post. And your response did not convey what you were really getting at, hence my confusion.

The legislators are voting on this bill tomarrow. If the vote was on Saturday, the teachers would be going with all the other union members on Saturday. Knowing full well that the unions will take work off to show up at the capital in protest, isn't it just as plausible to blame the legislators for taking this up on a school day, as it is to correlate the teachers' trip to Lansing with not caring about educating their students?
    Absolutely. Also blame the Republicans for shoving this through the system very quickly making thousands and thousands of Michiganders whose quality of life decrease react on a dime to make their voice heard.

JVB Guest

Michigan teachers get an almost failing grade in K-12 Achievement: D [[64.4)

Yeah let's keep things just the way they are.

Shollin Guest

The 24 states that are right to work have some of the lowest wages and highest poverty in the country.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    The 24 states that are right to work have some of the lowest wages and highest poverty in the country.
    The 7 states with the lowest unemployment rate are all Right To Work states.

Gotta love statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    And most of the them started that way so what is your point? Although many of them now contain the auto assembly plants that avoided Michigan like the plague due to the unions here.

I work to take care of myself not some person who has no effect on my life. Its too bad this country has lost its individualistic spirit.
    a rising tide lifts all boats. i love when people say "freedom" or "individualistic spirit" to justify a their political positions. it sounds a lot better than "selfishness" or "i dont give a crap about anyone else."

Shollin Guest

And most of the them started that way so what is your point? Although many of them now contain the auto assembly plants that avoided Michigan like the plague due to the unions here.
    The point? It's pretty obvious. This legislation is to try to suppress wages. Auto plants avoid Michigan because they want to pay people as little as possible. I can't see how cutting middle class wages and benefits is any sort of progress.

The 7 states with the lowest unemployment rate are all Right To Work states.

Gotta love statistics.
    wasnt it republicans during the election that were complaining that all job growth under obama was for low wage jobs where people couldnt live off their wages? now all of a sudden low paying jobs are a good thing in the right to work debate? cant have it both ways.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast