Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit by Design 2012 announced the winner of the Riverfront Competition!

Detroit by Design 2012 announced the winner of the Riverfront Competition: WOW!!!! I love the second one, this is just a visionary competition but I will like to see this happen..similar. Amazing concepts..

1st Place | Atelier WHY | Hyun Tek Yoon | Soo Bum You
    Jersey City, United States
    http://www.aiadetroitbydesign2012.co...regNum=6619761

The Second Place entry is probably my favorite of the ones I've looked at:

2nd Place | Matthew Edward Getch | Maciej Woroniecki | John Coogan | Simon Ronan
    London, United Kingdom
    http://www.aiadetroitbydesign2012.co...regNum=1374305

The second place entry is perhaps my most favorite as well.

While these are all very visionary for the sake of us all to imagine and think different, #2 seems in some ways most rationalized and is my favorite.

I like it because something entirely different. Every major city has a park or open space that gives tremendous identity and I think this design accomplishes it best.

im not surprised that that entry won. i was at the DIA listening to the panel discuss the competition and they were looking for something that could redefine what a riverfront could be as well as respect our history.

i like the second one, mostly due to the continuation of woodward, in the form of a plaza, all the way to the river. very cool concept.

im probably in the minority but for whatever reason i like the arch proposal. it redefines the space around the noguchi fountain and gives detroit a unique landmark. probably a bit too modern and out there for most though.

I really like the arch idea in #1 but the extended park in #2 would really add some natural flow to the area. When a city can focus on creating natural areas for their residents, it shows that they have left critical management issues and and can now look at building confidence and market appeal. Way to go Detroit!

I love the second design for many reason... one, will be the overall design and more things integrated along the whole riverfront. More recreational activity and eco-friendly design. This can really change how we can become innovative and a game changer as far as aesthetics. Many will visit our city from around the world to see and be part of this, great photo backdrop too.
    Last edited by gthomas; December-09-12 at 07:21 PM.

the only problem is the importance of hart plaza to events in our city. i think you could take elements of it and apply it to the rest of the riverfront though. perhaps when they begin work on the riverwalk west of joe louis these are concepts they can toss around.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    It's different but uniquely cool.

the only problem is the importance of hart plaza to events in our city. i think you could take elements of it and apply it to the rest of the riverfront though. perhaps when they begin work on the riverwalk west of joe louis these are concepts they can toss around.
    Bingo! Hart Plaza serves as a focal point for large gatherings... and the first and second place designs don't really address that, although I like parts of each design.

The first design, I like the knoll part of it. Cool to have an elevated section, although it runs counter to the general slope of the existing area. And I think people's comfort level will drop if they are hidden in a thicket of trees... also blocking the view of the water shouldn't be done there... I agree other parts of the waterfront could incorporate some of this.

The 2nd idea is also pretty cool... but where do a large mass of people congregate? I do like the idea of a waterway independent of the river... but it would be nice to have it in a San Antonio "Riverwalk" type of way... where you have an continuous waterway with bridges at intervals... not separate pools or holding ponds of water.

As southen said some of these ideas would be cool for the yet to be built western Riverwalk.
    Last edited by Gistok; December-09-12 at 09:28 PM.

I did think of that. But I'm wondering if events could be adapted to the shape. In fact the design of the "fingers" of park space that extend out toward the river almost lends itself to music events since each of those spaces could host a stage or be utilized as a promenade configuration for food events or something similar. From a crowd control standpoint, it's sophisticated when you think how it creates naturally compartmentalized areas. For that reason and many others is why new park designs have shifted away from large plazas towards bands of linear park space of different program and functions.

While the existing hart plaza is of great utility for large events, it doesn't do all that much else as far as of providing experience and enjoyment. On non-event days, it's got some nice monuments and sculptures and a great view of the skyline but I think has huge potential to become something much greater.

These ideas are way over the top, and will cost a small fortune, and rob the City of a public gathering spot. We need to be cognizant that we don't have a lot of money and that we can't continually go to philanthropic organizations to pay to rebuilt what is essentially already a pretty good public space.

Put in grass where the Ford Auditorium was, revise the secondary amphitheater and provide a connection to the lower Hart Plaza area that will provide more daylight. Call that part done. Work on Uniroyal and Free Press Areas by continuing what was currently used. Again these new areas will be large enough for a lot of greenspace suitable for active uses such as ball fields.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; December-09-12 at 10:46 PM.

I like the nickname of that arch in Hart Plaza.... "the Stargate".

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    These ideas are way over the top, and will cost a small fortune, and rob the City of a public gathering spot. We need to be cognizant that we don't have a lot of money and that we can't continually go to philanthropic organizations to pay to rebuilt what is essentially already a pretty good public space.

Put in grass where the Ford Auditorium was, revise the secondary amphitheater and provide a connection to the lower Hart Plaza area that will provide more daylight. Call that part done. Work on Uniroyal and Free Press Areas by continuing what was currently used. Again these new areas will be large enough for a lot of greenspace suitable for active uses such as ball fields.

More grandious schemes that'll "draw people back into the City". Why don't one of these guy's draw up a viable plan to stop scrapping, or provide actual police protection? How about something really unique? Streetlights!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    More grandious schemes that'll "draw people back into the City". Why don't one of these guy's draw up a viable plan to stop scrapping, or provide actual police protection? How about something really unique? Streetlights!
    You mean you want someone to design a vote to recall Joann Watson, Kwame Kenyatta, and Charles Pugh?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Crazy that architects in a contest sponsored by the AIA came up with architectural schemes. I too don't understand why they didn't just submit a plan to deal with streetlights and popos.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Crazy that architects in a contest sponsored by the AIA came up with architectural schemes. I too don't understand why they didn't just submit a plan to deal with streetlights and popos.
    Wouldn't streetlights be for an engineering group?? I don't think we need them redesigned... just functional...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I like the nickname of that arch in Hart Plaza.... "the Stargate".
    for more:
    http://www.chadstuemke.com/our_works...chigan-relics/

or this:
    http://www.michigansotherside.com/Ar...e_Detroit.html

or there was this thread:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...e-Detroit-Whoa

The AIA Detroit: Urban Priorities Committee just launched a People's Choice Award for the Riverfront Competition. check out the website and vote for your favorite ideas.

They also implemented a comment feed at the bottom of every entry to encourage dialogue about the designs....

Check it out - www.aiadetroitbydesign2012.com

So I want to know, are there any "Real" plans for Hart Plaza? I will pick the second place design for sure, even change the name of the area. With all the development happening around it, One Woodward [[Gilbert - Cobo Renovations- Crowne Plaza Hotel in former Pontch etc..). You can't have a view of a large vacant concrete plaza, being centralize between everything downtown and a major connection to the riverfront. I hope something innovative and creative transforms one of the best property in Detroit very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    So I want to know, are there any "Real" plans for Hart Plaza? I will pick the second place design for sure, even change the name of the area. With all the development happening around it, One Woodward [[Gilbert - Cobo Renovations- Crowne Plaza Hotel in former Pontch etc..). You can't have a view of a large vacant concrete plaza, being centralize between everything downtown and a major connection to the riverfront. I hope something innovative and creative transforms one of the best property in Detroit very soon.
    The Downtown Development Authority hired NBBJ, LLN, an international architecture and planning firm this week. So, looks like it...

But the DDA vote to approve the study shows that the city is serious about moving forward with the first major redesign of Hart Plaza in several decades, since the plaza was created in the 1970s.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2012122...text|FRONTPAGE

I just moved here in July but it seems like a LOT has been happening quickly...

GREAT NEWS!!! Thanks