Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Crain's is announcing the purchase of the Kresge buildings...unless something has happened in the last few years the top two floors of the 2nd [[north) portion of the Kresge Bldg--- the old S. L. Bird and Co. store, is for all pratical purposes intact -- decorative painting and designs all over 100 years old. Kresge simply used the area as s store room and did nothing else to the area after they absorbed the other building circa 1933.. Lets hope this area could be preserved as it is the only remaining original turn of the century retail space that is close to "original" in the downtown or most likely the city. At the least it should be documented by photo ir video.

I wonder what he's going to do with the Kresge building? It's a bit outside his normal downtown footprint.
    Last edited by gameguy56; December-18-12 at 10:07 AM.

I hear he wants to turn 1 Woodward into a Target.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I hear he wants to turn 1 Woodward into a Target.
    And a Cheesecake Factory is going in the old "Top of the Flame" space.

Why not go full-circle on this mutha and put KMart in the Kresge building!!

I am not sure what you mean by your statement. This new purchase would be right in the middle of all his purchases.

http://bedrockmgt.com/properties/

Quote Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
    I wonder what he's going to do with the Kresge building? It's a bit outside his normal downtown footprint.

You should contact Bedrock once they close on the building if you want to document the original details. Their team seems pretty receptive to legitimate requests.

http://bedrockmgt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Crain's is announcing the purchase of the Kresge buildings...unless something has happened in the last few years the top two floors of the 2nd [[north) portion of the Kresge Bldg--- the old S. L. Bird and Co. store, is for all pratical purposes intact -- decorative painting and designs all over 100 years old. Kresge simply used the area as s store room and did nothing else to the area after they absorbed the other building circa 1933.. Lets hope this area could be preserved as it is the only remaining original turn of the century retail space that is close to "original" in the downtown or most likely the city. At the least it should be documented by photo ir video.

Are we talking about the building on Woodward and Graitot ?

What is this, a black friday sale?

I hope he has great plans for this. I mean, this is a make or break for the city of Detroit.

This guy is AMAZING ! he is trying to single handedly rebuild Detroit !
    God bless him ! his is single handedly doing what the city council hasn't done in 40 years !
    Hey ,he has DEEP pockets !
    I just hope his friends with deep pockets step up and do the same thing !
    Dan to his deep pocket buddies :"come on in,the waters fine " !
    :-)
    Maroun :"no way ! I'm draining this puppy !"

On a side note reading this http://www.marketwatch.com/story/roc...ies-2012-12-18
    made me light headed LOL .
    This is simply AMAZING ! no matter how cynical you are ,money talks and Mr Gilbert has a lot and not shy about spending it !
    He's not a dumb guy, and when he gets Metro-West Appraisal, the nation's largest independent residential real estate appraisal company, announces it will move its national headquarters to downtown Detroit's Chrysler House in March 2013. this is big news ! he's not making them move downtown they see something big about to happen .
    They aren't moving downtown to do him a favor !
    This simply hasn't been done in over 40 years !
    No matter how much he's "writing" off some of these companies , he's not writing ALL these companies off .
    Last edited by Detroitdave; December-18-12 at 04:30 PM.

At this rate we're gonna have to rename downtown to gilbertown

'
    1201 Woodward - Kresge BuildingThe 54,000 square-foot property built in 1891 was home to the former Kresge store. The nine-story building, located on the northwest corner of Woodward Avenue and State Street, will be renovated to accommodate first floor retail and either office or residential space above. A portion of the first floor currently houses The Detroit Shoppe and Detroit Artist Market pop-up stores.

-- 1217 WoodwardThis five-story 30,000 square-foot building is located on the west side of Woodward Avenue, immediately north of the Kresge Building. Built in 1891, the building will be renovated and used for first floor retail and either office or residential space above. A portion of the first floor currently houses Santa's Wonderland, a seasonal store specifically for children with proceeds benefitting Detroit Goodfellows, ensuring there is "No Kiddie without a Christmas."

-- 1412 WoodwardLocated on the east side of Woodward Avenue between Grand River Avenue and John R Street, this three-story building was built in 1916. The 6,000 square-foot building is currently unoccupied, but will feature first floor retail with office space above.

-- 1301 Broadway - Cary Building LoftsThe 20,000 square-foot building, built in 1906, is located on the west corner of Gratiot Avenue and Broadway Street. The five-story structure will undergo extensive renovations to accommodate first floor retail space with residential space above.

-- 1521 Broadway - Small Plates BuildingThe 9,300 square-foot building is 100 percent occupied by Small Plates restaurant on the first floor with four residential loft apartments above. The five-story building is located on the west side of Broadway Street between John R and Witherell Street.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    And a Cheesecake Factory is going in the old "Top of the Flame" space.
    I heard that was to be the House of Blues and that the Cheesecake factory was going to go in where Potbelly's is.

With this latest purchase he can basically run downtown as his privately owned REIT. This will allow him to lease to people with stipulations on hours, and provide things such as Security and Marketing.

I would not be surprised if he is doing the same thing in Cleveland, and will one day sell shares like Taubman did when he went public.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; December-18-12 at 04:43 PM.

No ! No ! No ! House of Blues of going in the National theater on Monroe
    I've have spoken !
    This is the BEST use for that space , we can use it for shows and dining .
    Last edited by Detroitdave; December-18-12 at 05:05 PM.

Dinning? I wanted to have my Weeding at the National!

@ Detroitplanner
    Thanks ! LOL
    done and done !

i wish he would buy the wurlitizer and metropolitan.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I've have spoken !
    With the demolition/replacement of the parking garage [[aka Bates Garage) something will finally happen with the National....can't wait to see that facade restored and illuminated as old pictures indicated.

I'm with you on that, Southen. Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    With the demolition/replacement of the parking garage [[aka Bates Garage) something will finally happen with the National....can't wait to see that facade restored and illuminated as old pictures indicated.
    Actually the facade was restored with the 2005 Superbowl facade improvement funds... it just needs the light bulbs that are within the honeycomb lattice towers, and super major work on the inside...

More information on the five new buildings and projected uses:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ntown-building

The ideal retailer is a Filene's Basement or Nordstrom Rack type retailer. Typically smaller and lesser frills than their full-service counterparts, they'd be both higher-status and affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I've have spoken !
    I like! Perfect location!

Thanks gthomas !

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast