Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Tacoma Street

Default Tacoma Street

You have four people shot and killed in a bungalow on Tacoma and Brock. That's a lot of people killed in one place, even in Detroit it doesn't happen very often. Two people killed wouldn't be huge news, but four dead is a different story. The news is all over this thing, lots of people have their eyes on this house. The next day, somebody gets in there and starts fires in almost every room. How did something like that happen? I'm thinking it's one or some of those neighbors in that area.

Shollin Guest

I used to live not too far from Tacoma but on Schoenherr. Area has really changed for the worst.

Shollin Guest

Now that I look at a map, that is right next to the school where they used to have a public pool I would go swimming at. A quick google street view shows the neighborhood really declined.

Much of NE Detroit [[besides that one area south of 7 Mile and east of Gratiot) was pretty decent until Emperor Engler lifted the residency requirement.

The real estate boom merely called it in.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Much of NE Detroit [[besides that one area south of 7 Mile and east of Gratiot) was pretty decent until Emperor Engler lifted the residency requirement.

Funny, I thought the drug dealers were the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    I take it you're not very familiar with Detroit outside of downtown.

Shollin Guest

Drug dealers were never there about 12-15 years ago. It was mostly middle class city workers. There wasn't vacant homes and certainly no shootings.

its complicated. If I were a city worker with kids would I want them attending those public schools and in that environment? On the other hand both lack of money coming into the city but MOST of all the War on Drugs is causing more tragedy than it Solves. And no, this is NOT unique in East Dearborn or the hood East of East Dearborn they had a triple fatal shooting in an abandoned house this year

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drpoundsign View Post
    its complicated. If I were a city worker with kids would I want them attending those public schools and in that environment? On the other hand both lack of money coming into the city but MOST of all the War on Drugs is causing more tragedy than it Solves. And no, this is NOT unique in East Dearborn or the hood East of East Dearborn they had a triple fatal shooting in an abandoned house this year
    The housing was so much cheaper back in the early 90's then neighboring Eastpointe or Harper Woods, that it would've still been cheaper for me to buy in Detroit and send my kids to private school. That was my intention till I found a house in Harper Woods that was too good of a deal to pass up. I wasn't the only one looking to move into this part of Detroit. Other middle class families who weren't required to live in Detroit still chose to live their because the housing was so much cheaper for the same neighborhood.

JVB Guest

I take it you're not very familiar with Detroit outside of downtown.
    Born and raised on the eastside. I know the difference between my old neighborhood now and then is drug dealers moved in, everyone else that could afford to - moved out.

But you miss the point. I blame the drug dealers because they are responsible for most of the murders in Detroit. That's not Engler's fault, or Granholm's fault, Or Snyders' fault. It's their own fault.

Born and raised on the eastside. I know the difference between my old neighborhood now and then is drug dealers moved in, everyone else that could afford to - moved out.

But you miss the point. I blame the drug dealers because they are responsible for most of the murders in Detroit. That's not Engler's fault, or Granholm's fault, Or Snyders' fault. It's their own fault.
    I'm no fan of John's, but blaming Engler for the downfall of Detroit by lifting residency requirements, cracks me up. If you take care of your dog, he'll come when you call. If you abuse your dog, well, the first time you leave that gate open......

So it's the fault of the City workers who left Detroit after residency was lifted?

I worked for Detroit for 30 years. Lived in 48205, a few blocks South of Tacoma, between Brock and Hayes. I stayed there until I retired because if a white city worker moved outside of the City, the investigators were on your a$$ immediately to fire you. Many blacks left the City way before I did, and took their chances that Young would just let them be. I endured the beginning of the drug and gang problems for the last 10 years of my employment. I had children who went to Catholic schools because Detroit schools were already falling apart. When I retired, I left for a safer environment, where I could live without being afraid of washing my car in the driveway, or my daughter could come home at night without fear of being raped, where my son could be with his friends without being afraid of being jumped and beaten up. I sold my home to a very nice black couple. My house was in perfect shape.

The neighborhood was still in very good shape. There was not one burned out house on my block nor were there any within a few miles of me. How can you or anyone else blame lifting the residency requirement on what has happened in Detroit? In essence, what you and others are saying is that because "white city workers" left Detroit, the City fell apart. Why couldn't the nice black couple take care of the house they bought from me? Once a person sells a house it's up to the buyer to take care of it, not the seller. Why would they park on the lawn, break windows, leave the screen door propped open, throw dirty diapers out in the backyard instead of putting them inside the trash can. Why didn't they care about the other neighbors on the block? Why is it always someone else's fault that things happened after residency was lifted? Why can't people take responsibility for their own actions....I'll tell you why...it's easier to blame someone else for Detroit's decline instead of looking in the mirror and saying what the hell did I do wrong. Watson is typical of the blame game.

I really get po'd when I read assinine statements like it's all because of residency that Detroit is in the shape it's in today.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Why can't people take responsibility for their own actions...
    I ask myself this question 20 times a day.

I really get po'd when I read assinine statements like it's all because of residency that Detroit is in the shape it's in today.
    cla1945, I agree that focusing solely on the residency requirement is not food, but it could have been one of a number of factors that resulted in the decline of these once stable neighborhoods. Regardless of whether the residency requirement had been lifted, the real estate boom and bust [[and accompanying subprime crisis and foreclosures) would have occured, eviscerating many neighborhoods in the process. That many neighborhoods declined long after the residency requirement had been indicates that many factors are at play.

I endured the beginning of the drug and gang problems for the last 10 years of my employment. I had children who went to Catholic schools because Detroit schools were already falling apart. When I retired, I left for a safer environment, where I could live without being afraid of washing my car in the driveway, or my daughter could come home at night without fear of being raped, where my son could be with his friends without being afraid of being jumped and beaten up. I sold my home to a very nice black couple. My house was in perfect shape.
    If you sold me a perfectly beautiful house on a perfectly beautiful block in the hell you just described I probably wouldn't have taken very good care of it either. It's hard to see a house as worth taking care of if you feel scared to wash your car in the driveway or you expect your daughter to get raped walking home at night. I'm just saying.

It sounds as if you expected the couple that bought your house to help address some of the problems the neighborhood was going through. Not you, you did what you could for however many years and then you got the hell out of there and headed for greener pastures. Looks like a lot of other people got the hell out too. I can't blame them any more than I could blame you.

East Dearborn is having 'multiple' shootings in one house? I spend a great deal of time in that area and had not noticed things at that level...

Quote Originally Posted by drpoundsign View Post
    ...this is NOT unique in East Dearborn or the hood East of East Dearborn they had a triple fatal shooting in an abandoned house this year

Maybe as far East as Wyoming it is still OK but Michigan-Martin has become pretty Bad, I here. On the Google maps there are new buildings on Michigan there but typically, they are CVS or Fast food to replace the homes and busineses that existed there.