Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default We're been duped by the DIA!

The Detroit Institute of Arts has tricked the taxpayers of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb County. We can go into the Art Museum to see our world's ancient and present sculptures and other arts. But we have to pay to see special exibits. NO FAIR!!

Here's the source.
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/L...k/-/index.html

In their campaign add for DIA Art Millage, the announcer said that people in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb County were get 'unlimited' access at ALL exibits not some.

No wonder I wasn't allow to see the Faberge Egg exibit.
    Last edited by Danny; December-06-12 at 01:52 PM.

"No wonder I wasn't allow to see the Faberge Egg exibit."

You mean you had to pay eggs-tra? Sorry. I found out the hard way as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm crossing into a foreign country with the ID scrutiny and all, too.

My guess is that if a court or someone decided that they couldn't charge for special exhibits, they'd simply have to discontinue having special exhibits. The wording leaves it kind of wide open too.

Danny does have a point. I rememeber the "unlimited access" being touted about when they were looking for vote support.

I took unlimited access to mean unlimited number of times for general admission. I figured special exhibits would remain an extra charge. Those aren't owned by the museum, correct? They are private collections rotating through museums? I know the Titanic exhibit at the Henry Ford is private and collects its own money [[although the Henry Ford subsidizes it for you).

the DIA doesnt have to put on special exhibits. it costs the museum extra to do these things, if you dont want to pay for that, simply enjoy the rest of our world class art museum that you get to see without paying for entry.

As a member it gives me a reason to renew my [[not cheap) membership. I was actually happy they continued to charge for special exhibits! However I understand the qualms. The people did come through and pass it. The DIA is now collecting incredible amounts of money and other museums - the Detroit Historical Museum, the Henry Ford, the Charles H. Wright, the soon-to-be-open Michigan Science Center - are not.

I'm not an anti-tax person by any means. However Metro Detroit really bit the bullet and passed this one. This wasn't no strings attached. I know the DIA loves itself but it wasn't a blank check.

"You can see this part for your tax dollars, but not this part" smacks of elitism. The DIA still has a learning curve there. Joe from Roseville, amazingly, voted to have his taxes raised to support what has traditionally been viewed as an institution for the elites. Don't be a dick to Joe from Roseville.

http://www.artisforeveryone.org/faq/

If the millage is successful in all 3 counties, how will the tax revenue be used?

• It will cover the shortfall that resulted from the loss of public funding from the State of Michigan and the City of Detroit.
    • It will provide funding for free general admission for residents of the counties that approve it, removing financial barriers to enjoying the museum.
    • It will allow an expansion of operating days and hours to better accommodate public and school groups.
    • It will fund education and public programs and provide support for exhibitions.

I hope these Macomb county people get slapped down with a quickness.

Apparently they don't know how museums work. Most museums that have free admission charge for special exhibits.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    the DIA doesnt have to put on special exhibits. it costs the museum extra to do these things, if you dont want to pay for that, simply enjoy the rest of our world class art museum that you get to see without paying for entry.
    'It costs the museum extra to those things!' We the people of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb Counties will pay for special exibits. Let us go see the those special exibits for free otherwise I start a petition to appeal the DIA Millage Vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    I hope these Macomb county people get slapped down with a quickness.

Apparently they don't know how museums work. Most museums that have free admission charge for special exhibits.
    Let's not paint everyone with a single brush stroke shall we? Southern Macomb County plurality of YES votes more than made up for the plurality of NO votes in the exurbs in the northern part of the county.

Gistok, not Macomb County people generally, but "these Macomb County people," as in the ones who filed suit.

The Art Institute of Chicago charges $18.00 admission with 2 free days a month for Illinois residents. The Shedd Aquarium in Chicago, which is a beautiful aquarium charges an $8.00 general admission but if you want to see any of the really nice permanent exhibits or shows it can run you up to $35.00. The Chicago Museum of Science & Industry costs $15.00 for general admission with $5 - $8 add ons for certain exhibits. I remember when it was free. I've always thought you guys had a pretty sweet deal with free general admission to the DIA.

It was obvious from the beginning that there would be an admission fee for special exhibits. Every museum I've been to works this way. And yes, they DO need to put on special exhibits to maintain the variety.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post

If the millage is successful in all 3 counties, how will the tax revenue be used?

• It will cover the shortfall that resulted from the loss of public funding from the State of Michigan and the City of Detroit.
    • It will provide funding for free general admission for residents of the counties that approve it, removing financial barriers to enjoying the museum.
    • It will allow an expansion of operating days and hours to better accommodate public and school groups.
    • It will fund education and public programs and provide support for exhibitions.
    Too bad the ballot language didn't make that clear:

MACOMB COUNTY ART INSTITUTE AUTHORITY MILLAGE

The Macomb County Art Institute Authority was established pursuant to Public Act 296 of 2010 and formed to allow for continuing support of art institute services for the students, residents and visitors of Macomb County. The law allows the Authority to seek authorization from the electors to levy a tax of not more than 0.2 mill [[20 cents per $1,000 of taxable value) on real and personal property to provide revenue to an art institute services provider for this purpose. Accordingly, to continue providing art institute services to benefit the residents of the County, shall a 0.2 mill on all of the taxable property located within the County be imposed for a period of ten [[10) years, being years 2012 through 2021? It is estimated that if approved and levied, this new millage would generate approximately $ 4,877,863.36 in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Let's not paint everyone with a single brush stroke shall we? Southern Macomb County plurality of YES votes more than made up for the plurality of NO votes in the exurbs in the northern part of the county.
    No so fast, there. While the county's approval is certainly commendable, the one glaring rejection in the southern portion of the county was War'n. The state's third largest city, seeking to maintain it's reputation as an uncultured backwater and continue its efforts to become an increasingly blighted dump with a bug-fuck crazy mayor, rejected the measure, despite being just about as close to the DIA as you can be.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    No so fast, there. While the county's approval is certainly commendable, the one glaring rejection in the southern portion of the county was War'n. The state's third largest city, seeking to maintain it's reputation as an uncultured backwater and continue its efforts to become an increasingly blighted dump with a bug-fuck crazy mayor, rejected the measure, despite being just about as close to the DIA as you can be.
    OK if you want me to get specific... it was the artistically sophisticated majority in St. Clair Shores and Eastpointe that put the entire county just over the tipping point, and passed this for all 3 counties... and of course more cultural north Warren helped...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Too bad the ballot language didn't make that clear:

Does ballot language ever make anything clear?

This is what I thought when I read the article about their feelings in another paper and the actual lawsuit I read in this article:

http://youareanidiot.org/

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    It was obvious from the beginning that there would be an admission fee for special exhibits. Every museum I've been to works this way. And yes, they DO need to put on special exhibits to maintain the variety.
    Exactly. I am wondering how many of the whingers have actually been to other museums. Special exhibits are almost always extra above general admission. And general admission is all that was promised.

Clearly these are not people of culture!

I went to the DIA and I was outraged that when I went to the gift shop and they told me that I had to pay for things. After all I gave them close to $7 in my hard earned property tax. Why thats almost as much as I would have had to pay prior to it being free! Then I went to the cafe and got a cuppa joe. They had the nerve to tell me I hat to PAY for that too!!! Can you imagine that my $7 in taxes won't buy me what $50 used to?

Add onto that, that seven dollars will decrease my federal and state taxes by only pennies! I am outraged!

Can someone please shoot Leon Drolet. The guy is an embarrassment to the region, state and human race.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I went to the DIA and I was outraged that when I went to the gift shop and they told me that I had to pay for things. After all I gave them close to $7 in my hard earned property tax. Why thats almost as much as I would have had to pay prior to it being free! Then I went to the cafe and got a cuppa joe. They had the nerve to tell me I hat to PAY for that too!!! Can you imagine that my $7 in taxes won't buy me what $50 used to?

Add onto that, that seven dollars will decrease my federal and state taxes by only pennies! I am outraged!
    I went there and told an employee to go wash my car since they now work for me since I am a taxpayer. He refused. I can't believe the nerve of these people.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post

TexasT correctly pointed out that general admission was to be offered free to the residents of Macomb, Oakland, and Wayne Counties, if they voted for it.
    Nobody who reads or has access to news coverage was duped.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast