Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Exlusive look inside Detroit's BW3s

I have to say it looks pretty good for a chain but do you think its too big?

Detroit's Buffalo Wild Wings is, in a word, impressive.
    Michael Ansley, CEO of soon-to-be-Detroit-based Diversified Restaurant Holdings Inc., found a way to keep much of the patina of the building intact — from the 150-year-old wooden beams to the ornate beehive decorations hanging from the outside of the building.

This project wasn't easy and it sure as hell wasn't cheap, but Ansley said making the chain restaurant feel more like a neighbor than an intruder was paramount.

Ansley has opened more than two dozen Buffalo Wild Wings all over the country, but he says this one is special.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...alo-wild-wings

I ran into Crain's subscription firewall, but if you do the back door trick of googling the title of the article:

Exclusive look inside Detroit's Buffalo Wild Wings

it should take you there.

It's only a short blog piece, but the photos give a good sense of how it will look. I have to say, it's impressive and it looks like they may have a little more brick on the ground floor than I remember seeing before. But I still wish they had respected it's historic facade and toned down the corporate look like they did with their downtown Grand Rapid's location. Perhaps the addition of their corporate offices upstairs will help me forget about that over time.
    Last edited by downtownguy; December-06-12 at 12:52 PM.

What's so "impressive" about a Buffalo Wild Wings? I don't understand. I'm guessing it's going to be the same exact overpriced [[but still good on a general chain-restaurant level) food as all the other locations in the region. I love old buildings and architecture and all, but a BW3 is rather UN-impressive if thrown into the mix.

So they're also opening another chain restaurant in the old barbershop right next door?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    What's so "impressive" about a Buffalo Wild Wings? I don't understand. I'm guessing it's going to be the same exact overpriced [[but still good on a general chain-restaurant level) food as all the other locations in the region. I love old buildings and architecture and all, but a BW3 is rather UN-impressive if thrown into the mix.
    It's not impressive, in fact, in the big scheme of things, yet another corporate chain restaurant has opened. It's a big deal in Detroit because a restaurant has opened instead of closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    It's not impressive, in fact, in the big scheme of things, yet another corporate chain restaurant has opened. It's a big deal in Detroit because a restaurant has opened instead of closed.
    It doesn't look all that different from nearly every other BW3 I have been in. As to whether or not its too big in size, again I think most BW3 locations are bigger than they need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    As to whether or not its too big in size, again I think most BW3 locations are bigger than they need to be.
    I'd agree with you on that. They get filled up for special events, but as I've experienced, 75% of the crowd that goes to BW3 is under 21. So around 9 or 10 it clears out. Most bar patrons [[including myself) don't wanna deal with 18 year olds acting like complete morons. So I typically avoid places like that.

Having said that, I like the interior. It looks pretty good as opposed to the painted black ceilings that are typically in a BW3. The little touches like the replica Tiger are cool. I'm not sure why people get so bent out of shape over a chain restaurant moving in. Every major city has them, it's just a fact of life. An occupied building is better than a vacant one, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Every major city has them, it's just a fact of life. An occupied building is better than a vacant one, am I right?
    Certainly. While I myself am on my way to Cadieux Cafe [[that and Nemo's are the closest you will ever find me in to a sports bar) and will never be found in said B3, I wish them the best. They're going to be paying taxes and employing people, and I'm sure the folks who like to go there will have a good time and the owners' will find it lucrative and I hope others see the merits and follow suit.

Why wait until Dec 21st to open? Open it now

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Why wait until Dec 21st to open? Open it now
    Is this a serious question?

Quote Originally Posted by HelloIDistance View Post
    Is this a serious question?
    Yes it was a serious question. I still want to know when the restuarant is due to open. Many restaurants had prolonged their openings due to delays in final inspections from the city or last minute added decorations. I had went by there this evening and saw that the fence is still up, paper is still on the door windows, and the dumpster still sit at the back entrance

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Yes it was a serious question. I still want to know when the restuarant is due to open. Many restaurants had prolonged their openings due to delays in final inspections from the city or last minute added decorations. I had went by there this evening and saw that the fence is still up, paper is still on the door windows, and the dumpster still sit at the back entrance
    Can't wait to get your wings on huh?

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Can't wait to get your wings on huh?
    I for one can't wait, then i wouldn't have to drive all the way to Ferndale just to get some. My only concern is parking, where will I be able to park for carryout orders?

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    I for one can't wait, then i wouldn't have to drive all the way to Ferndale just to get some. My only concern is parking, where will I be able to park for carryout orders?
    Didn't they install a Drive-Thru window? If not they certainly should. Or maybe they will run your order out to your car in front of the building. I have never had Buffalo Wild Wings but they must be pretty good to get this much ink. There are two near my house in Albuquerque I guess I'll have to try them so I can see first hand what all the hoopla is about.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; December-16-12 at 09:40 PM.

its downtown detroit, just put your hazard lights on and go in.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    its downtown detroit, just put your hazard lights on and go in.
    There will probably be a guy out front trying to get $5.00 to watch your car while you run in to pick up your order.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; December-16-12 at 10:54 PM.

Why is it BW3? I only count two w's

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    That is a very good question.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    It was originally called Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    It was originally called Buffalo Wild Wings & Weck.
    I knew someone would come up with a logical explanation. Now who is Weck?

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I knew someone would come up with a logical explanation. Now who is Weck?
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3082053AAkf33g

A Weck is short for kimmelweck, a Kaiser roll seasoned with special toppings. These tasty rolls are popular on the East Coast and were served at our restaurants when we first opened. In 1998, we officially changed our name to Buffalo Wild Wings Grill & Bar to better describe our restaurants.

The wings aren't THAT good......

Just great, BW3 opens on the same day the world ends. Typical Detroit stuff right there.

I will go check it out . From the pics the place looks great !
    I have clients that have younger kids that LOVE BW3 ! , so I'm sure I will go and check it out .
    The wings are pretty good , it's a chain not a gourmet restaurant folks !
    Why some people get all huffy and on their high horse I'll never know ?
    I'm sure these same people couldn't make wings as good, and it's not as if they are eating at the Whitney or Roast or wherever ever night .
    As for it being a big deal, no it's not a BIG deal but for a city like Detroit that hasn't seen any real growth in 40 years this does matter , every small part is a part of the bigger picture .

Detroit hasn't seen this type of grown since 1970's and this grow is very different , this time it's more regional ,[[Cobo, Zoo, DIA,lighting, transit, ect)
    I know the folks in the area are very cynical , but this time the city council has been removed from ANY decision making , because when they get involved very little gets done .

Things are finally get done despite the city council .
    Is there a lot of stuff that needs to be done , of course ! but the people that can ,are FINALLY getting things done .
    Last edited by Detroitdave; December-18-12 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I will go check it out . From the pics the place looks great !
    I have clients that have younger kids that LOVE BW3 ! , so I'm sure I will go and check it out .
    The wings are pretty good , it's a chain not a gourmet restaurant folks !
    Why some people get all huffy and on their high horse I'll never know ?
    I'm sure these same people couldn't make wings as good, and it's not as if they are eating at the Whitney or Roast or wherever ever night .
    As for it being a big deal, no it's not a BIG deal but for a city like Detroit that hasn't seen any real growth in 40 years this does matter , every small part is a part of the bigger picture .
    I hate chain restaurants. I grew up in a Houston suburb [[our suburbs are not like your suburbs) and other than Mexican restaurants, every single restaurant in my town was a chain. I'd visit my extended family in East Texas two hours away, same exact restaurants. Went to college in my small college town, same exact restaurants. I probably ate at the same eight restaurants from childhood to age 22. So I've come to really appreciate the variety and diversity of restaurants outside of chains.

That being said, I'm grateful for every business that opens in Detroit and my butt will be in BW3 the weekend it opens to give it some business. I don't think we're in danger of chains pushing out all of the little guys anytime soon around here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast