Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mayor Bing: Six new mini-stations for police announced

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3jfM...ature=youtu.be

we'll see what happens as this goes forward..

Mini stations open, they close, they open again, then close again. The cycle repeats on and on. What never changes is Detroit stays in the Top 3 of crime stats every single year, decade after decade after decade. Good job Bing in carrying on the legacy.
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; December-05-12 at 12:56 PM.

Bing is trying desperately to find something he can point to and say, "I did this good thing while I was Mayor." This won't be it.

Need more places for patrol officers to sit around instead of being in cars patrolling.

Don't forget, we need some new Lieutenants to oversee the project and maybe a Commander and a Deputy Chief or two.

And couches for the Squeezes.
    Last edited by Meddle; December-05-12 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Mini stations open, they close, they open again, then close again. The cycle repeats on and on. What never changes is Detroit stays in the Top 3 of crime stats every single year, decade after decade after decade. Good job Bing in carrying on the legacy.
    SFW? This is the fastest and cheapest thing someone can do to say "I'm concerned, look what I'm doing to fight crime". Why can't they work out of the new $60 mil police station? Go big or go home, Bing.

Yep, we need more feet on the streets. Not butts in chairs... USELESS IDEA IMO!

Maybe when the mini-stations are broken into and the computers, metals or anything else valuable not ensconced in razor are wire taken they will get the idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Need more places for patrol officers to sit around instead of being in cars patrolling.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-06-12 at 03:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    Bing is trying desperately to find something he can point to and say, "I did this good thing while I was Mayor." This won't be it.
    But it's not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    But it's not a bad thing.
    Jerry, if it actually happens and actually has a positive effect on crime, I'll applaud it. I just remember the big plan that was announced by Bing when Evans was chief that the police officers were going to go back to patrolling their old precinct routes. It did absolutely no good, IF it ever happened.

This is muscial chairs. They've been opening and closing and shuffling mini-stations and precincts and districts and whatever the hell name they come up with next going for the last decade. This is not the solution; this doesn't address any real problem.

There is so much recycled bullsh%t that passes for "news" in Detroit, these days, but people have finally seen through it. The police aren't coming, and they could respond to every call in the city and it still wouldn't mean much. Parents, uncles, aunts, whatever...the adults have got to start keeping better tabs one the whereabouts of their youths. That means bugging the sh%t out of them with incessant contact. These murderers don't just appear out of nowhere and contrary to popular belief, most of them have families. We know who the murderers and future-murderers are, and the neighbors know where they hang. Time to start heading this off.

I would hope that Mayor Bing could do a best practices study of other cities and how they are attacking there crime problem. NYC could be one, and I am sure there are others. The mini-station concept has been recycled here many times and I am not sure how effective it will be in the long run. It smacks of a attempt of a mayor that doesn't have any answers to a long standing problem.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    I would hope that Mayor Bing could do a best practices study of other cities and how they are attacking there crime problem. NYC could be one, and I am sure there are others. The mini-station concept has been recycled here many times and I am not sure how effective it will be in the long run. It smacks of a attempt of a mayor that doesn't have any answers to a long standing problem.
    F&T:

I would venture to guess the answer contains something of a combination of $$ + training.

How about foot patrols? Actually pounding the pavement and getting to know the neighborhoods instead of sitting on their butts in a dumb ass mini station.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    How about foot patrols? Actually pounding the pavement and getting to know the neighborhoods instead of sitting on their butts in a dumb ass mini station.
    Unfortunately there are not enough cops left to make beat cops a reality. Detroit is a big place.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Unfortunately there are not enough cops left to make beat cops a reality. Detroit is a big place.
    Sadly quite true!!

Take the cops that are going to be in mini-stations [[whatever the fuck those are supposed to do) and put them on the beat in the surviving decent neighborhoods [[can be found in our recurring 'where should I move in Detroit' threads) where neighbors will have a rapport with them.

Damn you Bing, damn you to hell.

From a Fox 2 story:

Hours at the mini-stations are 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
    Not even 9-5? Maybe they need that hour in the morning to drive to the station from HQ.

The plan is for each police mini-station to be staffed with a permanent police officer, a police reservist, as well as a volunteer from the community.
    So it's one and a half officers sitting around, not dozens.

"I think it will change the whole concept and make sure that people feel comfortable with talking to the police and giving them information and that's the way that they're going to solve and help solve some of these crimes," says Mayor Dave Bing.
    I don't get the mini-station concept, and I certainly didn't think this was the purpose.

Though not yet equipped with the police department's CRISNet crime reporting system, officers can assist with making reports over the phone and take written reports.
    Why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    From a Fox 2 story:

Not even 9-5? Maybe they need that hour in the morning to drive to the station from HQ.

So it's one and a half officers sitting around, not dozens.

I don't get the mini-station concept, and I certainly didn't think this was the purpose.

Why bother?
    I agree. If that's what they're doing, wouldn't they be more effective sitting in a squad car?

I'm going to bitch slap the shit out of Bing at 5:31pm so he can learn firsthand how stupid this idea is.

Maybe they can bring the Rangers back too.

[[Anybody remember them?)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    When I was a kid this is where we would go to get our bikes registered or have our halloween candy scanned for sharp metal objects. Kids today are often too poor or fat to have bikes, and sadly trick or treating is a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Maybe they can bring the Rangers back too.
    Uh the power rangers were not real. Besides we don't have mini-godzillas for them to fight! LOL
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; December-06-12 at 03:45 PM.

When I was a kid this is where we would go to get our bikes registered or have our halloween candy scanned for sharp metal objects. Kids today are often too poor or fat to have bikes, and sadly trick or treating is a thing of the past.

Uh the power rangers were not real. Besides we don't have mini-godzillas for them to fight! LOL
    Trick or treating in the City of Detroit may be the thing of the past but the citizens of the eastside venture east of Mack Avenue in droves for their Tricks or Treats! I could spend $400.00 on candy and not have enough.

As for the mini stations great idea to be closed when quite a bit of crime is committed!

Uh the power rangers were not real.
    I take it you don't remember them.

GUSHI Guest

Power rangers?

I suppose next you're going to tell us that Batman and Robin were not real either...

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Trick or treating in the City of Detroit may be the thing of the past but the citizens of the eastside venture east of Mack Avenue in droves for their Tricks or Treats! I could spend $400.00 on candy and not have enough.

As for the mini stations great idea to be closed when quite a bit of crime is committed!

I was driving around for angels night on Halloween this year. Every so often I'd see a group of kids out there walking down dark streets dressed up for begging. With all the porch lights off I knew they were like farmers trying to farm during the dustbowl. At first I thought it would be nice to stop off somewhere, get a bag of candy, stop the car and hand out candy to the kids I see. Then I realized its probably not a good idea to be the male stranger driving around in a car asking kids if they want candy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast