Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default Ilitch Proposes Stadium and Events Center

"LANSING -- Officials from Mike Ilitch's Olympia Development Company are today outlining to state lawmakers plans for a $650 milllion-dollar mixed use development in downtown, anchored by a "new, state of the art, multi-purpose events center."

Eric Larson, non-executive president of Olympia Development, told the Senate Government Operations Committee the public-private development is expected to annually produce more than 1,000 jobsand $210 million in economic impact.

"The building of an events center district will create over 5,500 jobs for the events center alone and nearly 8,300 jobs for the first phase of the overall events district," Larson said.

He pegged the overall economic impact of the project at $1.8 billion.

Larson did confirm it would include a new home for the Detroit Red Wings but said it would involve much more than that. There is no timetable for breaking ground on the development, he said."

http://www.freep.com/article/2012120...text|FRONTPAGE

Discuss!

Make it happen Mikey!

Apparently Illitch wants to lobby Lansing for cash for his "entertainment district", for the express purpose of raping Michigan taxpayers. Good luck with that!

Oh we're gonna pay. No doubt about it.

The obvious location choice has Woodward frontage.

Quote Originally Posted by unrealdetroit View Post
    The obvious location choice has Woodward frontage.
    Yep. My bet is NW intersection of I75/Woodward for many reasons.

I'll be blunt, I don't give a damn if my taxes go up because of this - I'll support it as long as it is well-thought out and continues the growth of downtown and midtown [[and helps connect the two). I'll be very interested when specifics for the proposed project come out.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Although this would be great for downtown [[and I do want it to happen) I can't help but think, "Bite me Ilitch"

Ilitch states," It's always been my dream to once again see a vibrant Downtown Detroit" all while he is the largest holder of empty, gravel/dirt covered lots and empty buildings.

He has done some good but Downtown would be much, much further along had he not played his three large areas of land against the remaining holdouts for the last two decades.

In the last 10-15 years he and the city have been the two biggest detriments to downtown improvements. But, hey, at least there are a lot of dirt parking lots that are open for Tigers games [[and nothing else)

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Apparently Illitch wants to lobby Lansing for cash for his "entertainment district", for the express purpose of raping Michigan taxpayers. Good luck with that!
    You seem angry.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    Yep. My bet is NW intersection of I75/Woodward for many reasons.

I'll be blunt, I don't give a damn if my taxes go up because of this - I'll support it as long as it is well-thought out and continues the growth of downtown and midtown [[and helps connect the two). I'll be very interested when specifics for the proposed project come out.
    Well, since the major player is Olympia... lets look at CoPa for an example of how they think this new development will look. Remember they said the same things about building a "district" back then too. What was built? A park set way back from Woodward with a parking lot out front. Awesome.

I'll be very interested when specifics for the proposed project come out.
    You'll be waiting a long time.

From that article:
    there is no timetable for breaking ground on the development....
    A spokeswoman for the Ilitch organization said there were no estimates yet of how many residential units, retail shops, or office space would be involved. She described today’s media release as the beginning of a process to “explore the viability” of such a project.
    This has all the hallmarks of M-1 rail announcements in the early days. Breathless press releases soon to be followed by snazzy CGI animations.....and a decade later no closer to a shovel in the ground.

Should probably also keep an eye out for how much Olympia will charge the City to keep the ice cold at the JLA for a decade or so after they abandon it.
    Last edited by bailey; December-04-12 at 03:31 PM.

The economic spin off and job creation numbers seem very high. Over inflated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    The economic spin off and job creation numbers seem very high. Over inflated.
    When you are a billionaire and go to politicians with hat in hand you have to offer up the appropriate lies [[Coming from someone that truly, truly wants something done)

Is it possible that the public may have more leverage than in the past? Illitch has got to be pretty desperate to get out of that pit called JLA and the public seems like it's pretty tired of paying for his projects. Perhaps there's a chance that he would have to pony up a bit more cash than he did for Comerica Park? Actually, I can't remember what the actual deal was with Comerica.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Well, since the major player is Olympia... lets look at CoPa for an example of how they think this new development will look. Remember they said the same things about building a "district" back then too. What was built? A park set way back from Woodward with a parking lot out front. Awesome.
    I haven't read the article yet, but Comerica Park is one of the most beautiful baseball stadiums in the country and brings A TON of foot traffic downtown 81+ days each year, and the way it opens up onto Adams is awesome. Sorry about the parking lot, but every stadium has them - 40,000 people don't just magically appear at the games out of thin air.

Besides, I would make the argument that having it set back off of Woodward makes it more attractive since you get a better look at it. Having a stadium towering over Woodward would probably look like shit to be honest.
    Last edited by JVB; December-04-12 at 03:45 PM.

And....if you want to believe George Jackson, one of the most popular guys on this forum......[[from MLIVE)

“This plan makes good business sense for two reasons,” George W. Jackson, Jr., president and CEO of Detroit Economic Growth Corporation, said in the release. “First, it’s not a plan for an isolated, single-use structure. Instead, it builds on the clear successes we’ve already had downtown integrating districts that feature entertainment, and support commercial, retail and residential development around them. Second, it doesn’t impose any new tax burdens; it simply continues a program for retiring debt related to economic development. It’s hard to argue with that.”

downtown has changed enough since copa was built for illitch to actually put money into creating a district and not a stadium isolated by parking. i liken this to signing prince fielder. the guy doesnt have much time left, time to start thinking about his legacy.

You should probably read up on what was promised/pitched for his Columbia street entertainment district, etc and what actually happened.

Nobody can argue that Comerica park is great for downtown 81 days a year. In the same vein, nobody can argue that Comerica park [[and especially the Woodward facing parking lots) are a f'in nightmare for downtown the other 284 days a year.

Integrating into the city is not something Ilitch knows how or cares to do. Flat parking lots all over the place are as big a downtown killer as perception of crime.

And....if you want to believe George Jackson, one of the most popular guys on this forum......[[from MLIVE)

“This plan makes good business sense for two reasons,” George W. Jackson, Jr., president and CEO of Detroit Economic Growth Corporation, said in the release. “First, it’s not a plan for an isolated, single-use structure. Instead, it builds on the clear successes we’ve already had downtown integrating districts that feature entertainment, and support commercial, retail and residential development around them. Second, it doesn’t impose any new tax burdens; it simply continues a program for retiring debt related to economic development. It’s hard to argue with that.”
    If George Jackson's on board the plan is probably horrific.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    In the same vein, nobody can argue that Comerica park [[and especially the Woodward facing parking lots) are a f'in nightmare for downtown the other 284 days a year.
    Why is Comerica Park a nightmare when games aren't being played?

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Because [[a) it is nothing more than a big, empty shell. There is absolutely nothing integrated into it or around it that is open on non-Tigers game days [[because of the design that made it a big arena surrounded by lots) and [[b) the parking that Ilitch/Olympia has to support Tigers games is an absolute mess of surface and dirt lots that are only open on game days.

Essentially the areas around the stadium, much of the area off Cass and the 75-Woodward areas are Ilitch land that is used strictly for game day parking.
    That's a lot of wasted potential and/or empty, dirty space to 'support' Comerica park.

If George Jackson's on board the plan is probably horrific.
    +1. What ever plan he has... do the opposite.

Because it's a giant dead zone in the middle of the "entertainment district" 284 days a year.

JVB Guest

Because [[a) it is nothing more than a big, empty shell. There is absolutely nothing integrated into it or around it that is open on non-Tigers game days [[because of the design that made it a big arena surrounded by lots)
    Every stadium is a big empty shell on non game days. But the amount of people it brings downtown more than makes up for it. How many bars and restaurants downtown would go out of business without CoPa?

and [[b) the parking that Ilitch/Olympia has to support Tigers games is an absolute mess of surface and dirt lots that are only open on game days.

Essentially the areas around the stadium, much of the area off Cass and the 75-Woodward areas are Ilitch land that is used strictly for game day parking.
    That's a lot of wasted potential and/or empty, dirty space to 'support' Comerica park.
    A lot of the empty land that Illitch owns is for a potential JLA move isn't it? Besides, if I owned an empty dirt lot and had future plans for it, I would use it as a parking lot on game days in the meantime. Not everything can be developed all at once. Rebuilding a city takes time.

Because it's a giant dead zone in the middle of the "entertainment district" 284 days a year.
    Uh...what exactly do you think it would look like without Comerica Park?

By the way, sports is entertainment, so the entertainment district is the best place for it.
    Last edited by JVB; December-04-12 at 04:03 PM.

Shollin Guest

Is it possible that the public may have more leverage than in the past? Illitch has got to be pretty desperate to get out of that pit called JLA and the public seems like it's pretty tired of paying for his projects. Perhaps there's a chance that he would have to pony up a bit more cash than he did for Comerica Park? Actually, I can't remember what the actual deal was with Comerica.
    Illitch paid 68% of Comerica. The rest was paid through hotel and car rental tax.

Uh...what exactly do you think it would look like without Comerica Park?
    I'm not arguing against CoPa. I'm just saying it was a poorly executed when it comes to intigration to the district. Old Tiger Stadium was not set back behind a moat of parking lot.

Remember there were a couple of bars in CoPa [[5th avenue...then something else) were supposed to be open all the time. However, no one knew they were there because they were across an empty parking lot from Woodward.

Like most things Illich related, there are pros and cons- perhaps I'm a bit optimistic when I say that the pros slightly outweigh the cons. It makes sense to lump all of the events at the Fox, CoPa, Ford Field, this new arena, and the other theaters together though as I believe in the end it will lead to less surface lots and more structures.

I would hope that in the deal between the city and Illitch, that they address the massive amount of surface lots he owns and try to get some commitments to develop some of them.

Also, this is somewhat off topic, but I feel like in Detroit there is a big problem with parking structures and garages not being accessible 24-7. Some structures are for the office, 9-5 crowd; others for the special events...it would be nice if some of these structures had a cheap rate for nights and weekends to help out the bars, restaurants, and emerging shops!

JVB Guest

I'm not arguing against CoPa. I'm just saying it was a poorly executed when it comes to intigration to the district. Old Tiger Stadium was not set back behind a moat of parking lot.
    Old Tiger Stadium looked like shit to be honest, and the entertainment district looks far better than Corktown ever did.

It's funny to hear someone complain about Comerica Park because every visitor I've ever shown around Detroit always remarks at how beautiful it is and how well integrated it is into the downtown area. I guess it takes outside eyes to appreciate.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast