Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lives of black males are still not worth shit. Especially in Florida.

His music was too loud huh?

He should be sentenced to hold up the footings while they build a new prison on top of him.

And just blast rap music into his cell for every minute of the rest of his life.

JVB Guest

The guy was charged with murder, what's the point? 350 murders this year alone of mostly black males right here in Detroit, no need to look in Florida for tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    The guy was charged with murder, what's the point? 350 murders this year alone of mostly black males right here in Detroit, no need to look in Florida for tragedy.
    Look, I'm gonna try to be courteous here but..

So what? What is your point?

Yes Detroit has too many murders.

But this is a NonDetroit forum, and this isn't the topic.

An old white man thought he could just tell a group of young black men "Turn that shit off or else."

What makes a person think they have that kind of authority over a complete stranger?

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    An old white man thought he could just tell a group of young black men "Turn that shit off or else."

What makes a person think they have that kind of authority over a complete stranger?
    Oh...the shooter was white. Now I see why it's a topic.

Somehow that young mans life would have meant less had he been shot by a black man. Interesting.

Somehow that young mans life would have meant less had he been shot by a black man. Interesting.
    No the shooter was white.

And the victim was black. And had no weapon on him.

It's a fact black men are played up as predators in this country. Have been for 300 years and I'm not about to dance or play games on that FACT,

A man shot and killed a teenager, inside of a vehicle, because he felt threatened, even though there was no weapon, and he initiated the argument.

You can argue stereotypes didn't play into it.

It could be me lying because of the car I drive, or music I listen to, or style of facial hair I wear feeding into someone's preconceived fears. Or my younger brother.

So you'll forgive me if I don't take this kind of bullshit lightly.

Interracial murders have increased over the last 30 years. The good news is that intraracial white on white and black on black murders have been decreasing. The increase in interracial murder is partly because races are now living in closer proximity to each other. Maybe that's also a reason why intraracial murder is down. It's logical that people interact, for better or worse, with whomever is around.

Here is a link spelling out the number of murders and increases or decreases in each racial category. In Florida, blacks kill almost twice as many whites.
    http://www.standard.net/stories/2012...ate-growing-us
    Last edited by oladub; December-04-12 at 06:48 PM.

The thing that gets me is that the guy is trying to use the "stand your ground" law to justify murdering kids

JVB Guest

No the shooter was white.
    That's...exactly...what I said. In fact, that's the only reason you posted it. Thousands of young black males are killed every year in the US, but most of them are killed by other black males and for whatever reason people like you don't take notice - at least not enough to make a thread about it. But on the rare occasions when the shooter is white, oh well shit that sounds like a national news story in the making. Don't you think that's odd? A murder is a murder, shouldn't they all be tragedies?

And the victim was black. And had no weapon on him.
    Yup, and the killer was charged with murder and is in jail where he belongs. Happens every day here in Detroit.

You can argue stereotypes didn't play into it.
    Why would I argue that? I don't know, nor care why the guy shot him, just glad he's in jail.

Out of curiosity, have you posted any threads about the hundreds of black men killed right here in Detroit this year alone? Or do you only care when the killer is white? Don't you think that's odd?

This story was mentioned at 1:40 of last Wednesday's Thom Hartmann on the News - November 28, 2012.

Some in Florida were reconsidering the "Stand Your Ground" law after the Shooting of Trayvon Martin. No doubt they'll continue to reconsider it.

Gotta agree with with JVB here, "the killer was charged with murder and is in jail where he belongs".

Unfortunately lots of people are killed every year for unjustifiable reasons. But this story shouldn't be comared to Treyvon. The Treyvon Martin story was newsworthy because he was killed and the police did not arrest man who did it

The way the Florida stand your ground law is written is so messed up, people are trying to use that as a defense against all kinds of crime. Months ago I relayed the story of the fight on the basketball court where two people were going at it. One felt threatened and pre-emptively threw one punch which killed the other person. That person used the stand your ground law and beat the case.

My point is until Florida gets its act together with that law so that it can't be so liberally interpreted you are going to get these kinds of tragedies

More importantly you have the NRA lobblyists who write the template for these laws being passed within the various states help empower people like the one being discussed to do these types of acts and hide behind the law.
    Last edited by firstandten; December-04-12 at 09:19 PM.

That's...exactly...what I said. In fact, that's the only reason you posted it. Thousands of young black males are killed every year in the US, but most of them are killed by other black males and for whatever reason people like you don't take notice - at least not enough to make a thread about it. But on the rare occasions when the shooter is white, oh well shit that sounds like a national news story in the making. Don't you think that's odd? A murder is a murder, shouldn't they all be tragedies?

Yup, and the killer was charged with murder and is in jail where he belongs. Happens every day here in Detroit.

Why would I argue that? I don't know, nor care why the guy shot him, just glad he's in jail.

Out of curiosity, have you posted any threads about the hundreds of black men killed right here in Detroit this year alone? Or do you only care when the killer is white? Don't you think that's odd?
    No.

And again why do I have to in order to comment on this story?

I post what interests me/stirs my passions.
    Last edited by brizee; December-04-12 at 09:58 PM.

Oh you poor oppressed white person.

Your agenda is pretty clear now. I'll give you the oladub treatment. No reason to read your racist posts.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Oh you poor oppressed white person.

Your agenda is pretty clear now. I'll give you the oladub treatment. No reason to read your racist posts.
    This must be at least the second time you have called someone a "racist". How do you define "racist"? It seems sort of like bringing "Hitler" into a discussion in a feeble attempt to substitute name calling for intelligent discussion. The concept of "racist" is losing its power due to its overuse. For instance[[s), the calling of anyone who doesn't support Obama a "racist' or your post. Consider the damage you are doing by calling "wolf" too often. Did you otherwise have anything to add to this thread? My contribution is post #6. Do you have anything better to offer relevant to this thread? Something factual or intellectually persuasive will suffice.

Perhaps you could offer some insight as to why, given that blacks murder twice as many whites in Florida and blacks are almost ten times more likely to be murdered by other blacks, those facts are not given more attention. Here, taking your side, I'll try to get you started. Little white girls who disappear are probably given more press attention then little black girls who go missing proving the press doesn't just focus on white on black murders. Take it from there.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    No reason to read your racist posts.
    I should not be able to laugh at being called a racist, but I just did. Unfortunately, people like you damage the fight against real racism by using the word to describe anybody that disagrees with your point of view.

Black guy gets shot by white guy in Florida and white guy is jailed and charged with murder - thread started. Hundreds of black guys killed every year right here in Detroit - no thread started. I bring attention to the apparent lack of concern over our fellow Detroiters being murdered right here in our communities and I get called a racist?

It's sad really, because that word used to mean something. It was like a Scarlet letter, an effective means of calling out unacceptable behavior by members of the community. Now because of people like you it is an empty, meaningless word and that's too bad.

Unfortunately, people like you damage the fight against real racism by using the word to describe anybody that disagrees with your point of view.
    Real racism? Hmmm. Can you give me a few examples of real racism?

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Real racism? Hmmm. Can you give me a few examples of real racism?
    Sure, how about the guy in Florida that just shot a black kid because his music was too loud? Probably a good chance that he's a racist.

Also, you can view the map by the SPLC to see who they consider to be racist hate groups. Some of the groups they list include American Nazi Party, Jewish Defense League, Nation of Islam and a even a few branches of the KKK. If you read any of the mission statements of those organizations it's pretty clear that they are racist.
    Last edited by JVB; December-05-12 at 10:30 AM.

Black guy gets shot by white guy in Florida and white guy is jailed and charged with murder - thread started. Hundreds of black guys killed every year right here in Detroit - no thread started. I bring attention to the apparent lack of concern over our fellow Detroiters being murdered right here in our communities and I get called a racist?

It's sad really, because that word used to mean something. It was like a Scarlet letter, an effective means of calling out unacceptable behavior by members of the community. Now because of people like you it is an empty, meaningless word and that's too bad.
    How many threads have you started on the subject? If it's so important to you that you shit up my thread over, surely you've posted about black on black crime.

And I'm pretty sure actually being the recipient is was and will continue to be much worse than being called racist.

Scarlet letter?

Please.

How many threads have you started on the subject? If it's so important to you that you shit up my thread over, surely you've posted about black on black crime.
    I think his purpose here is to call the subject of this thread bull shit. Which it is. The guy is in jail. He was racist. It happens. Just like taxes and dog poop. Welcome to America.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    I think his purpose here is to call the subject of this thread bull shit. Which it is. The guy is in jail. He was racist. It happens. Just like taxes and dog poop. Welcome to America.
    And how exactly is it bullshit?

You and he just admitted the kid is most likely dead because of the race of the victim and prejudice of the shooter.

I'd rather the guy not be in jail, and the teenager still be alive.

But that's just me.

Well, it's bull shit because you titled this thread about the low value of the black youth in FL. What you implied is that white people are to blame for that "low value", excuse me ..... "not worth shit". There are certainly many other examples of young black males in FL being killed to pick from. You could google "black + murder + young" and have your pick.

But you really wanted to imply that angry old white men have it out for young black males and that they get away with killing them. At a growing rate. So you should have just stated that at the top of this thread and we wouldn't have to call you out for having an ulterior motive in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Well, it's bull shit because you titled this thread about the low value of the black youth in FL. What you implied is that white people are to blame for that "low value", excuse me ..... "not worth shit". There are certainly many other examples of young black males in FL being killed to pick from. You could google "black + murder + young" and have your pick.

But you really wanted to imply that angry old white men have it out for young black males and that they get away with killing them. At a growing rate. So you should have just stated that at the top of this thread and we wouldn't have to call you out for having an ulterior motive in this thread.
    I'm not about to dance with you or anyone else on this.

The man's life was thought to be so little he was killed over music at a gas station.

The Kids should have just turned their stupid rap music down.

Look, I'm gonna try to be courteous here but..

So what? What is your point?

Yes Detroit has too many murders.

But this is a NonDetroit forum, and this isn't the topic.

The point is that Detroit has more black on black murders that pretty much anywhere else, and you hand pick a story of a white guy suspected of murdering a black guy. What's the point of bringing this particular story up, unless you're trying to start a race argument?

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    This must be at least the second time you have called someone a "racist". How do you define "racist"? It seems sort of like bringing "Hitler" into a discussion in a feeble attempt to substitute name calling for intelligent discussion. The concept of "racist" is losing its power due to its overuse. For instance[[s), the calling of anyone who doesn't support Obama a "racist' or your post. Consider the damage you are doing by calling "wolf" too often. Did you otherwise have anything to add to this thread? My contribution is post #6. Do you have anything better to offer relevant to this thread? Something factual or intellectually persuasive will suffice.

Perhaps you could offer some insight as to why, given that blacks murder twice as many whites in Florida and blacks are almost ten times more likely to be murdered by other blacks, those facts are not given more attention. Here, taking your side, I'll try to get you started. Little white girls who disappear are probably given more press attention then little black girls who go missing proving the press doesn't just focus on white on black murders. Take it from there.
    When people can't have a simple conversation, they think they win if they call the other a racist. Most of the time when this word is used presently, it's meaningless.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast