Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default JoAnn Watson says Obama should bail out Detroit

Her Rotundness has unleashed her latest bout of insanity.

I've had the misfortune of finding her places touting herself throughout the city, and she's given this line for years.

So...federal funds. If the government comes in and gives Detroit a bunch of money, that won't fix the cashflow problem. More money continues to go out that come in. However it would solve her cashflow problem, in that she wouldn't have to worry about getting a paycheck for a while.

Say she has a better-thought out plan than that, even though that isn't the case. Other than her obesity-related mobility impairment, what is stopping her from going and lobbying Washington, if its such a great fucking idea? Firstly, that it's not [[as we speed towards a fiscal cliff), secondly, because no one with any kind of connections wants anything to do with her.

So she's getting paid a hefty salary that I'm paying to scream about nonsense that has no basis in reality? That really grinds my gears, to put it mildly.

And I know she's super sketchy and, frankly, GHETTO, but is she aware that the President of the United States of America, the leader of the free world, isn't some thug handing out kickbacks to his cronies? That the man with the weight of the world on his shoulders can't just go around rewarding municipalities because they voted for him? She left out the part about Detroit's horrendous voter turn-out, at that. Sorry, hoodrat, that may be how you roll but I'm pretty sure the President can't just hand you a brown bag full of cash and a glock.

Though it's tough for me to figure out what I hate most about JoAnn Watson I think it is that she is legitimately THAT PERSON who the suburbs [[and, rightfully, the world) can point to on council, and say: Detroiters are idiots who elect idiots. With Mother [[fucker) Watson on council, it's tough to argue with that, as a Detroiter. The rest may be inept but she is downright odious.

http://motorcitymuckraker.com/2012/1...ction-support/
    Last edited by poobert; December-04-12 at 02:24 PM.

While I do recall hearing that NYC got a bunch of fed funds a while back, I think Watson needs to shut her mouth and stop obstructing progress at every turn with racism and the D vs. Mich mentality. Then maybe Detroit will get better financially.

I'll keep my personal feeling about Councilwoman Watson out of this for a second. I think that if she were to propose a feasible and detailed plan about what she would do with this bailout loan -- and let's remember to remind her, it's a loan, not a gift -- in order to restructure the finances of the city and make them sustainable, I'd be willing to hear her out.

Until then, I think I'll withhold my political support for her idea.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I'll keep my personal feeling about Councilwoman Watson out of this for a second. I think that if she were to propose a feasible and detailed plan about what she would do with this bailout loan -- and let's remember to remind her, it's a loan, not a gift -- in order to restructure the finances of the city and make them sustainable, I'd be willing to hear her out.

Until then, I think I'll withhold my political support for her idea.
    I'm sure she's hard at work on that one.

Didn't I see her on the last episode of "Hard Core Pawn"?????

I'm no fan of the Clowncilwman, but I totally agree that the Feds should be stepping up to assist Detroit. By no means do I mean writing a blank check, but help nonetheless.

How can the U.S government justify giving 3.5 billion dollars in foreign aid every year to Israel and at the same time let a once great American city fall to the ground? How could they justify sending Michigan National Guard troops to rebuild and protect cities and residents of Afghanistan and Iraq when our own people are in desperate need of help themselves?
    Last edited by Johnnny5; December-04-12 at 05:10 PM.

Any fedgov help should come with MASSIVE strings attached, more akin to bankruptcy than an EFM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    How can the U.S government justify giving 3.5 billion dollars in foreign aid every year to Israel
    Because they are our "strongest ally" in the region? That's the ONLY answer I ever get when I ask "how does our relationship with Israel benefit us?" even though the relationship causes more problems than benefits.

Detroit never ceases to amaze me with the incompetent, small minded people they elect to council. there have been a few good ones, and occasionally even the bad ones are right.

I don't see any way the current members of the city council could develop a cogent plan for sharpening pencils, let alone some recovery plan for the city with or without federal aid.

A bailout may just happen IF Detroit files for bankruptcy.

Obama claims that he saved Detroit from bankruptcy. Well it won't look too good on him politically if Detroit does in fact go bankrupt.

I'm no fan of the Clowncilwman, but I totally agree that the Feds should be stepping up to assist Detroit. By no means do I mean writing a blank check, but help nonetheless.

How can the U.S government justify giving 3.5 billion dollars in foreign aid every year to Israel and at the same time let a once great American city fall to the ground? How could they justify sending Michigan National Guard troops to rebuild and protect cities and residents of Afghanistan and Iraq when our own people are in desperate need of help themselves?
    The federal government has a standing offer of about a half a billion dollars that they are offering us to help build rapid transit. All we have to do is create an RTA to accept the money.

The federal government is trying to bail us out, but our local and state leaders are too petty and ignorant to accept the help. Joann Watson is an idiot...

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Well it won't look too good on him politically if Detroit does in fact go bankrupt.
    What difference does it make, he's not running for office again.

Is she that naive to think the president considers that he 'owes' us anything... for our VOTE? [[of which I did not participate - voting for neither Obama or Romney)

Hah! Watson is in for a surprise when she learns -FINALLY- that the dems are really not santa clause gift givers de rigueur [[withstanding promises)... If such a 'santa' list exists, I doubt we're at the top of it!

I think the white house will be acting like 'them republicans' relative to handing out cash to Detroit easily, with more surprises overall FORTHCOMING!!

The feds may have some moneys 'ear marked' for Detroit ala light rail or what not, but not payrolls!
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-05-12 at 11:39 AM.

Precisely. WHO'S CONVINCED that a cash infusion to Detroit is part of his 'legacy' building agenda...?

It's questionable IMO what that agenda is in other areas of policy, local and internationally speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    What difference does it make, he's not running for office again.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-05-12 at 11:42 AM.

As much as I love slinging muck with the best of them, [[and I'm NO Watson supporter), are there any sources or venues quoted as to when and where she actually said this? I know she made a similar statement a few years ago, is that what this article is refering to? Maybe Bad Brains has a point about the Muckraker.

How can the U.S government justify giving 3.5 billion dollars in foreign aid every year to Israel and at the same time let a once great American city fall to the ground?
    Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East, and a strategic military and economic ally.

Detroit does receive massive federal assistance. Yes, it could always receive more, but it's a huge net recipient of federal largesse.

Stephen Henderson's editorial in the Free Press this morning speaks to this. I think he is right in comparing any handout Detroit might get with the bail out of GM. GM was forced to make serious changes in management and to undergo bankruptcy to restructure its debt as part of the bailout. As Henderson points out, Watson probably doesn't want that kind of help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East...
    That will be news to the citizens of Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt, and Iraq.

JVB Guest

The problem with any bailout is it rewards poor decision making.

Without oversight of allocation [[which we all know would be the deal breaker) that money would find its way into anonymous pockets asap.

Joann's ass needs to be bailed out.

Not necessarily. If the feds came in and said they will refinance a
    $1B restructuring, but we want Grand Rapids or Lansing to oversee its execution, I could live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    That will be news to the citizens of Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt, and Iraq.
    International observers wouldn't label those countries as democracies. I understand that other Mideast countries have the democracy label. In any case, none of those countries are strategic economic and political allies.

And those countries don't exactly support your argument. Egypt receives almost as much U.S. aid as Israel, and Iraq receives a hell of a lot more. Turkey also receives a ton of aid.

JVB Guest

International observers wouldn't label those countries as democracies. I understand that other Mideast countries have the democracy label. In any case, none of those countries are strategic economic and political allies.
    Turkey is a HUGE political ally, and nobody would argue they do not have a democratic government.

And those countries don't exactly support your argument. Egypt receives almost as much U.S. aid as Israel, and Iraq receives a hell of a lot more. Turkey also receives a ton of aid.
    Current United Nations employee here: I can assure you that Turkey and Lebanon are viewed by the international community as functioning democracies; Egypt and Iraq are transitional democracies.

On the whole, the former two are also incredibly strategic wrt regional stability, not just for the US but globally.

Israel, on the other hand, is viewed as a bit of a pest.

I digress, though...
    Last edited by michimoby; December-05-12 at 11:25 AM.

My argument? I said nothing about aid.

Turkey is a HUGE political ally, and nobody would argue they do not have a democratic government.
    No, and no.

Turkey isn't a comparable ally to Israel and few would seriously argue they are a true democracy.

Per the annual Freedom Index released by Freedom House [[the leading U.S. NGO on democracy issues, and founded by FDR)

Israel is the only country in the Middle East that is a Level 1 Democracy.

Turkey is rated Level 2 [[Partly Free)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_in_the_World_[[report)
    Last edited by Bham1982; December-05-12 at 01:38 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast