Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Somerset Collection Loft : Did they just call it in this time ?

I was downtown over the tree lighting weekend and over the last couple of weeks and have stopped in and shopped at a couple of the new pop ups on lower Woodward.
    I am very happy to see these stores and new ones , however is it just me or does it seem like Somerset just "called it in" this time around ?

I've been and shopped at the SCL every time they have come downtown , but this time seems different . None of the managers or store reps came down this year and it shows .

It seems like they just sent some stuff down and one person to ring everything up ?

Last time I felt talking to a person from each store made a difference and I was more willing to shop and spend money , this time I haven't bought one thing from SCL .

I have however spent WAYYYY to much money at Moosejaw LOL , the free beer on Friday works ! but I digress LOL .

I've also shopped at the Dhive, and the Detroit shoppe , but not SCL.
    any thoughts ?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I was downtown over the tree lighting weekend and over the last couple of weeks and have stopped in and shopped at a couple of the new pop ups on lower Woodward.
    I am very happy to see these stores and new ones , however is it just me or does it seem like Somerset just "called it in" this time around ?

I've been and shopped at the SCL every time they have come downtown , but this time seems different . None of the managers or store reps came down this year and it shows .

It seems like they just sent some stuff down and one person to ring everything up ?

Last time I felt talking to a person from each store made a difference and I was more willing to shop and spend money , this time I haven't bought one thing from SCL .

I have however spent WAYYYY to much money at Moosejaw LOL , the free beer on Friday works ! but I digress LOL .

I've also shopped at the Dhive, and the Detroit shoppe , but not SCL.
    any thoughts ?
    The rumblings I hear around that area are centered on more permanent placement down there. So, it's plausible that they're drawing up the plans for something even bigger and are focusing less attention on the pop-up stuff. Just a hypothesis, though.

Thanks I guess it kinda makes sense

I thought the selection at the Moosejaw was a little limited compared to their other stores. However it was pretty packed. I hope that other stores that want to make it down there do go all in.

But they will shoot themselves in the foot...if what you say affects others in a similar way. Hope they don't forget to consider this when they compare sales figures with previous years.

Never liked the Somerset stores down there.

Sorry, but many/most of the young artist and professional folks moving downtown can afford Moosejaw or other mid-level stuff, not what they try to peddle there. I walked in the Somerset collection and saw their prices and did one of these:

Retail stores will be the piece of the puzzle that downtown need. Affordable boutiques, a linen store, A Men's Warehouse, fitness/sports apparel store, and a Sander's ice cream parlor will make downtown complete. I wish there were better stores that line Woodward and Grand Blvd. I could see a City Target in midtown maybe inside New Center One where the Bizzar clothing store once was

I can't compare the Somerset Collection that is there now with the previous ones as I never bothered to go to it prior to this year. My thought this time was quite frankly "coming here was a waste of time, I can't believe how pretentious the meager number of employees appear. Get me the heck out of here."

Interesting stasu, I bet that a store like a small Target would do nicely in the space formerly occupied by Crowleys in NCO. You would need to figure out how to kick the DPS out of there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Never liked the Somerset stores down there.

Sorry, but many/most of the young artist and professional folks moving downtown can afford Moosejaw or other mid-level stuff, not what they try to peddle there. I walked in the Somerset collection and saw their prices and did one of these:

LOL That's funny ! @noggin I spoke to a couple poepl @ moosejaw and they said there isn't a lot in that location to open the store up more and for right now what they are doing is working fine , ALSO a little birdy told me that they are staying in Downtown Detroit that store will stay although only open Thursday - Saturday like the hours they have now . it's not the best but a start.

There is no doubt that the selection was middling, compare to the very cool, merch-heavy days last years. For anyone who did not come to that first season, there is no comparison with today's rather lethargic offerings [[with the exception of Midtown's Peacock Room SCL display. I'd love to hope that the reason is concentration on more permanent digs, as a poster suggested, but methinks not.

I suspect that there's a lot of ambivalence regarding SCL and its future within the Somerset leadership, and a lack of support from perhaps not only inside the company but elsewhere as well. I think that the fact that it has been back this month may be due to the efforts of a very committed few, who won't give up. I continue to support it.

I think that the SCL had started the idea of opening other stores in the downtown area such as MooseJaw which cater to the casual middle of the road income. I would not be surprise to see a Dress Barn, Coldwater Creek or some other retail opening on the strip. SCL had started a movement.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Interesting stasu, I bet that a store like a small Target would do nicely in the space formerly occupied by Crowleys in NCO. You would need to figure out how to kick the DPS out of there though.
    DetroitPlanner,
    DPS is out of the New Center One building. The first floor of the old Crowleys is vacant. The second floor is Kaplan Career Institute.

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post
    DetroitPlanner,
    DPS is out of the New Center One building. The first floor of the old Crowleys is vacant. The second floor is Kaplan Career Institute.
    Thanks, I don't have a lot of business that takes me to that building any longer.

Spent a bunch of money last year. Almost too much. The selection was really fantastic. All kinds of helpful staff. This year, not so much. I stopped by the first weekend. I will try again. Maybe they've improved the stock.

I hope so and agree last year was much better , this year ? it's like what happen?
    put up a few shelves and throw some designer stuff on it you help yourself , oh and check out is at the front ?
    really ????