Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Can you ID early auto in this historic photo?

OK I'm hitting up the DetroitYes! brain trust, crowd sourcing and what not. I have an image of a street in my neighborhood from the online early Detroit images at the Burton Historical Collection. http://tinyurl.com/bw4c3r4

Can you make out the model and year?

Name:  Car-detail.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  8.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by robtandersen View Post
    OK I'm hitting up the DetroitYes! brain trust, crowd sourcing and what not. I have an image of a street in my neighborhood from the online early Detroit images at the Burton Historical Collection. http://tinyurl.com/bw4c3r4

Can you make out the model and year?

Name:  Car-detail.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  8.0 KB
    Can't tell much about the car, but the street is obviously Forest Avenue, given the large forest in the background.

my best guess is a 1910-15 packard

I'm pretty certain its a Toyota.

GUSHI Guest

It's a yugo

According to the Burton Collection the photo was taken Hubbard Street, near Fort and looking north. No date is given.

And this is about as grainy a photo to try and identify this auto. I really do not think it is a Packard as the radiator shape is not the typical “tombstone” shape and is too wide. The front fenders are angled at a flare – this was done on very early autos and fell out of favor by 1905 to 1907.

As matter of comparison I have attached a photo of a 1907 Packard notice how the fenders are flat on the top and parallel to the ground.

Opps, still cannot download photos - wish Lowell would answer my PM

It's Hubbard just north of Lafayette. I had it down to a Packard or Oldsmobile and was trying to find out why no headlights, then found this image of a 1911 Packard Roadster 30, but still not certain.Name:  Packard1911.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  26.8 KB

Here's a better viewName:  Car-detail_B.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  20.8 KB

I see what you're saying about the radiator shape Packman.

I had a toy model of a Stanley Steamer that had a seat texture like that.

The trapezoidal engine compartment is a big clue.

There are some curious asymmetries:
    • A blur on the right side of the seat [[our left). A steering wheel? But on the right? Nah. A human blurred from motion? Possibly, but too small. Maybe.
    • underneath

It's a prototype for a Hummer. LOL!

The hood says steamer to me.

For certain.... an early incarnation of the Camry!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I'm pretty certain its a Toyota.

Dunno, but I think Jethro bumped Granny and Ellie Mae out of the back seat.

My guess would be a 1903 Pope.

Good match. It looks to me that there are rear seats. Here's a 1904 Pope-Toledo.Name:  1904 Pope-Toledo.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  52.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cushkid View Post
    My guess would be a 1903 Pope.
    1903 Pope Hartford Model A:

And here is a vintage photo of a 1904 Pope Hartford. It had a 1 cylinder engine that churned out a hearty 10 hp!

Damn good guess there Cushkid.

Hmmm… not quite sure it is a 1903 Pope – very close though but a lot of early autos looked similar.

Still not convinced as I look at the front fenders. Take a look at the original photo of the passenger side front fender. It has an upward, sweeping flare, much as out-turned shell that protects the frame and side of the engine hood.

Meanwhile, the Pope has a fender that covers the top of the wheel and is flat [[parallel to the ground and is open [[unprotected) to either side of the front wheel.

I just wish I had a photo in my library of what I am trying to describe and it would make it easier to picture.

Here's a 1902 Pope Hartford. I was wondering why someone in Detroit would have a vehicle made in Connecticut until I discovered that they manufactured over half the total number of vehicles in the early 1900's. I'm pretty certain there's a seat in the rear -- Does this fender fit the picture?Name:  Screen Shot 2012-12-09 at 9.58.49 PM.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  68.3 KB

"I was wondering why someone in Detroit would have a vehicle made in Connecticut...."

There's always that guy that HAS to buy a Honda......