Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Best cities for a Hollywood car chase

We got it.

Where would you film?

I think a scene from Windsor through the tunnel, blowing through customs, down the Lodge under Cobo, through the Train Station, with a lap through Mexicantown on the way to the Ambassador finalizing with a jump off the bridge onto a ocean bound freighter would make for some great film.
    Last edited by izzyindetroit; December-03-12 at 04:35 PM.

JVB Guest

There was a decent car chase through Detroit in the film Blue Collar with Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel.

Fantastic film [[Blue Collar)...
    Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    There was a decent car chase through Detroit in the film Blue Collar with Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel.

There were also car chases in Collision Course.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    There were also car chases in Collision Course.
    I remeber them filming one of those on the sidewalk of the the Old Hudson's building. Later they filmed a foot chase in Trapper's Alley. Leno was much more spry in those days.

I loved the car chase in the movie To Live and Die In LA. I think the chase was in Long Beach.

The longest line I have ever seen at the Redford Theatre was for Bullitt. The line went up Lahser beyond half way to Orchard St. What was most astonishing was most of the patrons were 20 something males whose parents are barely old enough to have seen a Steve McQueen movie when he was alive. Enough said!

I sat in one of the 'meet the director' series at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, when I lived there a decade ago...where William Friedkin told the backstory of filming the original French Connection, with the famous chase of car against subway train.

NY didn't have a film liason, nor any way of closing down the subway line for filming...so he hired a bunch of off-duty cops to all flash their badges and keep open intersections and bridges while they setup the camera and filmed it documentary style. That's what his director of photography used to be anyways, and they had done some projects together.

The head of the subway said he'd lose his job if he allowed it. When they were leaving his office, Friedkin asked what that was worth...and they ended up paying him a year and a half wages, he quit the day after they filmed and moved back to Jamaica.

I can only imagine a movie turning Detroit's urban freeways into an impromptu racecourse, with maybe a lap around Belle Isle thrown in for good measure.

If anything goes flying off the Ambassador, can it be from Matty's Folly launch? Maybe we can make the car do a flip onto the 'new' bridge downriver off of it. It'll take some CGI.
    Last edited by Gannon; December-04-12 at 08:36 PM.

When we do the spoof of the whole Kwhyme deal, we can stage a chase between a Navigator and the People Mover...with a cameo of a Harley rider wearing the Gladiator chrome mask.

And NOTHING beats the bus-180 they do at the big chase scene in Beverly Hills cop in front of the old Tiger Stadium. James Bond couldn't have been cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    And NOTHING beats the bus-180 they do at the big chase scene in Beverly Hills cop in front of the old Tiger Stadium. James Bond couldn't have been cooler.
    Right road, wrong locale... God I love you tube!

this was quite the chase!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL1d7QmGDo8

I'd say the best place for one would be eastern market
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZy2TZWbx8

You can see all of collision course on youtube if you have the time. its mind boggling who much the city has changed in the last 25 years.

The best chase on the streets of Detroit would have to be all the other F1 drivers trying to catch Ayrton Senna, the only 3 time winner of the Detroit Grand Prix.

As much as I love Bullit, the best car chase ever was between Robert Deniro and Natascha McElhone in Ronin [[a film more people should see). They did most of their own driving for it, which makes it all the more mind blowing.

I would love to see a recreation of it in Detroit. We have the highways and tunnels, but it would not be as tense since much of the urban chase was in tight French streets and there is no place in the city that has that dense, closed-in feel.

Love the Ronin car chase.

Another good one is the one in Drive feturing a Chrysler 300 and a Mustang: