Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Port Authority power to improve city airport being fought.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...uthority-bills

I grew up by the airport and my father and brother still love. Personally, fuck the airport.

Open 6 mile back up.

Actally regulate the trains that can box you in and hold you up for an hour and a half. I understand it's a business but this is just running roughshod over people.

What's this about the trains boxing you in? I've never heard of this.

As for the airport, does anyone here have a compelling reason for it to exist?

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    What's this about the trains boxing you in? I've never heard of this.

As for the airport, does anyone here have a compelling reason for it to exist?
    I think he's referring to the tracks that run west of City Airport. If you're on 6 Mile, you're cut off from the east side [[closed at City Airport), and your a virtual prisoner until the trains pass.

As for a reason for the airport... right now it's for small planes and corporate jets. Southwest used to run great services from there to Chicago and other nearby cities... it was great not having to drive all the way out to DTW. But there is no passenger service that is viable because of the short runways.

Trains cross all over Van Dyke, McNichols and Davison, leaving you stuck, having to go miles out of the way, or at it's worst trapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I think he's referring to the tracks that run west of City Airport. If you're on 6 Mile, you're cut off from the east side [[closed at City Airport), and your a virtual prisoner until the trains pass.
    Exactly.
    Last edited by brizee; December-02-12 at 09:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Trains cross all over Van Dyke, McNichols and Davison, leaving you stuck, having to go miles out of the way, or at it's worst trapped.

Exactly.
    Oh yeah, I've been stopped by that train on 6 Mile before [[the one that runs parallel to Groesbeck).

The worst one is the train that runs parallel to Mound Road. If you're on Davison or 6 Mile, you must watch it go so far down one direction, stop, then go BACK in the direction it came from.

GUSHI Guest

Pro air to Newark was awesome, then take the bus to NYC,

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Trains cross all over Van Dyke, McNichols and Davison, leaving you stuck, having to go miles out of the way, or at it's worst trapped. Exactly.
    I used to have reason a few years ago to take Van Dyke to 8 Mile. Several times I thought I'd never see my home again. And yes, you can literally go MILES out of your way just to get around it. As far as City Airport, has anyone been to Cleveland? They put a small corporate jet-type airport on their waterfront, about where Hart Plaza is. To me, it looked like it increased their downtown business quite a bit. Jets would fly shooters in, they would do what they had to do, then fly out. Dennis Archer campaigned strongly to expand City Airport. The problem is the big cemetery @ one end, was in the way of the expansion. When he proposed to exume and move the bodies in that portion of the cemetery, the idea was met with such resistance, he gave up on it. I personally think the City could capitalize on expanding City Airport services, and it could bring in new and more business.

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    My Pro-Air story was a nightmare. I am glad yours isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I used to have reason a few years ago to take Van Dyke to 8 Mile. Several times I thought I'd never see my home again. And yes, you can literally go MILES out of your way just to get around it. As far as City Airport, has anyone been to Cleveland? They put a small corporate jet-type airport on their waterfront, about where Hart Plaza is. To me, it looked like it increased their downtown business quite a bit. Jets would fly shooters in, they would do what they had to do, then fly out. Dennis Archer campaigned strongly to expand City Airport. The problem is the big cemetery @ one end, was in the way of the expansion. When he proposed to exume and move the bodies in that portion of the cemetery, the idea was met with such resistance, he gave up on it. I personally think the City could capitalize on expanding City Airport services, and it could bring in new and more business.
    Actually Archer's plan was to move Van Dyke. He was the one who destroyed the neighborhood between Van Dyke and the airport in order to put in a new runway. Its a story similar to what he did to the neighborhood by the roostertail and sinbads, or what GM did to Poletown.

The current runway is too short [[because of cemetery) for larger passenger jets. I think Southwest couldn't fly their new 737s -- so they bailed. I'm no expert, but I think City's just fine for typical corporate jets. Historically, the problem with City Airport was high cost of fuel. Typical protected market crap.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Actually Archer's plan was to move Van Dyke. He was the one who destroyed the neighborhood between Van Dyke and the airport in order to put in a new runway. Its a story similar to what he did to the neighborhood by the roostertail and sinbads, or what GM did to Poletown.

And never, ever forget what Judge Doom did to Toontown.

The closing of McNichols was a bad move... it really cuts off large parts of Detroit. You cannot go east/west between I-94/Harper and 7 Mile Rd. now.

I think it was during Young's time as mayor that JJ and the Morning Crew joked about putting the headstones right into the runways.

JVB Guest

I read an article a few months ago about City Airport being the perfect place to test the new GPS flight control technology. Apparently all of our airports are using antiquated WWII radar technology and in order to upgrade systems it's going to require real time testing at a large enough airport and City Airport is one of the best candidates for that.

Source.

look for more legislative inertia on this for years to come..

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    The current runway is too short [[because of cemetery) for larger passenger jets. I think Southwest couldn't fly their new 737s -- so they bailed. I'm no expert, but I think City's just fine for typical corporate jets. Historically, the problem with City Airport was high cost of fuel. Typical protected market crap.
    They were talking about making a kinda drone central hub,adding hangers etc,encouraging drone manufacturers to be based there.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    They were talking about making a kinda drone central hub,adding hangers etc,encouraging drone manufacturers to be based there.
    IF that's true, that would be a very positive thing, IMO, for Detroit & surrounding area.

IF that's true, that would be a very positive thing, IMO, for Detroit & surrounding area.
    Use em to drop bombs on the bad guys!

Sorry forgot the link.

http://www.dbusiness.com/DBusiness/J...ero-Tech-Town/

The FAA is in the process of selecting six “test beds” in the United States to be used for the research, development, and implementation of NextGen. They’re scheduled to make their decision by mid-December. Needless to say, Watt and Rimanelli are aiming to establish City Airport, along with related facilities and organizations statewide, as a federal test bed. Beneficiaries include the Defense Corridor in Warren [[TARDEC and TACOM), Selfridge Air National Guard Base in Harrison Township, Camp Grayling in northern Michigan, the Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center, and regional facilities like Oakland County International Airport, private industry, and universities, among others.

It would add diversification to the region.

I was thinking more from a development/production standpoint, but now that you mention it, it might work well as a smash & grab deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    I read an article a few months ago about City Airport being the perfect place to test the new GPS flight control technology. Apparently all of our airports are using antiquated WWII radar technology and in order to upgrade systems it's going to require real time testing at a large enough airport and City Airport is one of the best candidates for that.

Source.
    Fascinating story. Thanks for the link. [[Same as Richard's)

Almost. From the story:

A drone flying at an altitude of 14,000 feet could identify the license plate from a stolen vehicle and send the coordinates of the vehicle to law enforcement agencies. The result would be less theft and fewer car chases, experts say.
    Last edited by downtownguy; December-03-12 at 01:38 PM.

Sorry forgot the link.

The FAA is in the process of selecting six “test beds” in the United States to be used for the research, development, and implementation of NextGen. They’re scheduled to make their decision by mid-December. Needless to say, Watt and Rimanelli are aiming to establish City Airport, along with related facilities and organizations statewide, as a federal test bed. Beneficiaries include the Defense Corridor in Warren [[TARDEC and TACOM), Selfridge Air National Guard Base in Harrison Township, Camp Grayling in northern Michigan, the Alpena Combat Readiness Training Center, and regional facilities like Oakland County International Airport, private industry, and universities, among others.

I wonder if our Carl Levin, Chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee would have any clout in this area of drone development locations... lord knows we could use some more clout for job creation....

Sorry forgot the link.

VERY positive news IMO! There are a lot of precision fabrication shops around the "Metro" Detroit area, if not in the City itself. I hope it takes off. [[pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by GUSHI View Post
    I loved taking that when I lived in NYC. Pro Air sure wasn't the most dependable airline, and was pretty much always a little late, but being able to get to/from my folk's house in 10-15 minutes was well worth it. It can be a monumental hassle for east siders [[to say nothing of Grosse Pointers and Macomb Countyers) to get all the way out to Metro.

I truly loathe everything about the idea of domestic spying using drones. But if we're going to test and build such abominations at least we could test and build them here.

Otherwise, if there's going to be no further commercial use for City Airport, I agree with the original poster that 6 Mile should be opened back up. The closing of it made it ridiculously hard to get across a large stretch of the east side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast