Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Christmas Back In The Day

If you lived in Detroit in it's heyday, what was the Christmas season like?

As I remember....Back in the day, the 50's & 60's, Christmas decorations in all the neighborhoods, all the different business districts, Downtown was aglow along Woodward and out E. Jefferson, up Michigan Ave, Grand River, Gratiot, on DSR buses, Police & Fire Stations, Libraries, Schools, City Parks & Rec Centers and Outdoor Ice Rinks. Kids could see Santa at Federals, Wards, Sears, Kresges, Woolworths, J.C Pennys, Winklemans and Hudsons. Nativity scenes in front of churches, some schools, parks and some store fronts. Menorahs in the Jewish neighborhoods. Christmas pageants and concerts at all the schools. People freely stated Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah to each other
    Yeah... Detroit was just a tad different back them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfd View Post
    If you lived in Detroit in it's heyday, what was the Christmas season like?
    Christmas=Hudsons

I remember crowds of people going around the Downtown store, looking @ the different mechanical Christmas displays in the windows on the ground level. I remember the Lionel train display in the toy department. Most of the homes and businesses in the neighborhoods were decorated. A very good Christmas vibe in Detroit. How about the Ford Rotunda? Magical.

Santa always came to Detroit on Thanksgiving at the end of the Hudson's parade. The seasonally decorated windows of the downtown Hudson's attracted strollers. Santa was thereafter found on the toy floor with its electric train display and other wonders.

Someone on Whittier Drive in Grosse Pointe had an outstanding Christmas display erected every year. Once, maybe having to do with Sputnik, large rockets taller then the house were decorated with Christmas lights. Traffic edged along bumper to bumper to see these displays.

Church would have four maybe 16' tall decorated Christmas trees in front and was otherwise full of evergreen trimmings and lit candles. All services were packed. the Sunday School, school, and adult musicians would add to the litany.

Most of Christmas Day was spent eating and otherwise being with close relatives. Late afternoon, we would pay courtesy calls on the parents of inlaws. Drinks were had. Even the kids were given "en dripuca" of peppermint schnapps. Pfeffernusse and other cookies were present.

Midnight mass on Christmas Eve, going downtown to Hudson's to look at the windows and the displays inside. I think there was a huge model train set all decorated for Christmas too.

Quote Originally Posted by birwood View Post
    As I remember....Back in the day, the 50's & 60's, Christmas decorations in all the neighborhoods, all the different business districts, Downtown was aglow along Woodward and out E. Jefferson, up Michigan Ave, Grand River, Gratiot, on DSR buses, Police & Fire Stations, Libraries, Schools, City Parks & Rec Centers and Outdoor Ice Rinks. Kids could see Santa at Federals, Wards, Sears, Kresges, Woolworths, J.C Pennys, Winklemans and Hudsons. Nativity scenes in front of churches, some schools, parks and some store fronts. Menorahs in the Jewish neighborhoods. Christmas pageants and concerts at all the schools. People freely stated Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah to each other
    Yeah... Detroit was just a tad different back them.
    That's one thing I miss, the fact that Detroit had tons of its own Royal Oaks and Birminghams throughout the city, or cities within the city [[7 Mile and Gratiot, Grand River and Greenfield, Harper & Van Dyke, Chalmers & Mack, 7 Mile and Livernois, Grand River & Lahser, Jefferson & Chalmers, Warren & Outer Drive, 6 Mile and Gratiot, etc.).

And of course, while the Hudson's, Crowley's and Kern's department stores were the main attractions, the 2 huge Montgomery Wards stores at 7 Mile/Gratiot and Grand River/Greenfield along with that huge Sears store on Gratiot/Van Dyke had their own draw for the holidays.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-01-12 at 10:52 PM.

Whenever I think of Christmas as a child the first thing that comes to mind is the 13th floor at Hudson's and the grade school [[Keating Elem.) Christmas class trip to the Ford Rotunda. Christmas was a magical time for kids back in the 50's We prayed for snow on Christmas Eve because we believed Santa Claus wouldn't come to your house if it didn't snow. My father used to go to the Eastern Market on Christmas Eve to get our tree because they were giving them away. The choir I was in at church used to sing Christmas carols up and down the streets in our neighborhood on Christmas Eve stopping at different neighbors houses for hot chocolate and to warm up. There were no malls, no Walmart, Kmart, Best Buy, Circuit City, or Toys R Us. We didn't need those places because we had Hudson's, Crowley's, and Kern's. In the neighborhood we had Sears, Montgomery Wards, and Federal's. Everything was downtown and that's were everyone shopped at Christmas. Nobody worried about parking because people rode the bus. Wow I'm feeling very nostalgic and getting choked up. Thanks Dfd for the memories....MTM

I remember the 12th? floor of Hudsons [[correct me if I'm wrong, But I think it may have been one of those buildings that don't designate a 13th floor). The huge light display on the front of the building. The elevators that were operated by a person that threw a big brass lever to make the elevator go up or down. Brass railing ...a lot of brass. The vacuum tube system that took orders and messages all over the building. The complete and total holiday atmosphere of the downtown area in general. It's a damn shame that it has been lost. I'm seeing that they are trying to revive it these days. I hope it succeeds. I grew up in the burbs and this was a big part of what Detroit was to me.We attended Metropolitan Methodist church as part of family tradition although most of the family had moved to the burbs by the early 60's.

I remember Christmas at Hudsons and the downtown stores, and even Saks on Second Ave. But these memories, especially of these places in my younger years, are not all wonderful, as we [[black Detroiters) were not welcome in all of the departments of those stores. But the stores were beautiful to behold, nevertheless.

I also remember the Ford Rotunda Christmas extravaganza, and, as I just wrote on a facebook post, I thought Christmas was OVER when the Rotunda burned down! Some of my best memories - at the Fox theatre, for the Motown aka Motortown Review.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Santa always came to Detroit on Thanksgiving at the end of the Hudson's parade. The seasonally decorated windows of the downtown Hudson's attracted strollers. Santa was thereafter found on the toy floor with its electric train display and other wonders.

Someone on Whittier Drive in Grosse Pointe had an outstanding Christmas display erected every year. Once, maybe having to do with Sputnik, large rockets taller then the house were decorated with Christmas lights. Traffic edged along bumper to bumper to see these displays.

Church would have four maybe 16' tall decorated Christmas trees in front and was otherwise full of evergreen trimmings and lit candles. All services were packed. the Sunday School, school, and adult musicians would add to the litany.

Most of Christmas Day was spent eating and otherwise being with close relatives. Late afternoon, we would pay courtesy calls on the parents of inlaws. Drinks were had. Even the kids were given "en dripuca" of peppermint schnapps. Pfeffernusse and other cookies were present.
    Wasn't that extreme Christmas display on Three Mile Drive? My dad took us there every year just to see it; it was a Christmas event in our house. That and the walk to see the Nativity set in from of the gym at St. Jude on Seven Mile.

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    I remember the 12th? floor of Hudsons [[correct me if I'm wrong, But I think it may have been one of those buildings that don't designate a 13th floor). The huge light display on the front of the building. The elevators that were operated by a person that threw a big brass lever to make the elevator go up or down. Brass railing ...a lot of brass. The vacuum tube system that took orders and messages all over the building. The complete and total holiday atmosphere of the downtown area in general. It's a damn shame that it has been lost. I'm seeing that they are trying to revive it these days. I hope it succeeds. I grew up in the burbs and this was a big part of what Detroit was to me.We attended Metropolitan Methodist church as part of family tradition although most of the family had moved to the burbs by the early 60's.

You're right about the 12th Floor Christmas displays but there was indeed a 13th floor at Hudson's.

Thirteenth Floor
    Grand River Avenue Pianos and Organs • Music Store • Records • Stereos • Televisions
    Farmer Street Riverview Room • The Beef Emporium [[Pine Room) • Executive Dining Room
    Last edited by MidTownMs; December-02-12 at 08:26 PM.

Thank you for this thread!! What wonderful memories!

In the 1950s, we visited Detroit at least once between Thanksgiving and Christmas - a 3hr drive from the Thumb... the displays at Hudson's, Crowley's, all along Woodward... wow!! Toyland in Hudson's - I dreamt of trains for many nights afterward... Sometimes there would be a Christmas concert and we would take that in ... a lot of magic for a little kid from "the sticks".

After Christmas Sales - double wow!! Mom had friends in Redford and we would have dinner with them the weekend after Xmas, then go to church together at St. Mary's of Redford. So beautiful...

If there was a good movie at the Music Hall Cinerama, we'd take that in, too. Everyone seemed so happy that it was Christmas!!

Best wishes for peace and happiness this holiday season

Excellent thread! Makes me miss those good ole' days, and I wasn't even born yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Wasn't that extreme Christmas display on Three Mile Drive? My dad took us there every year just to see it; it was a Christmas event in our house. That and the walk to see the Nativity set in from of the gym at St. Jude on Seven Mile.
    Whittier was the street the home belonged to a member of the family that owned Johnstone and Johnstone realtors

I remember going to the Christmas display/carnival at Cobo in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Whittier was the street the home belonged to a member of the family that owned Johnstone and Johnstone realtors
    I think that was George P Johnson, owner of Geo. P Johnson Displays?
    Last edited by mikefmich; December-03-12 at 07:14 AM.

Ahhh. Oldest Santa pic I still have was taken of me and him at Kerns....maybe 1952?

Hudsons for sure. Only day of the year my folks would let me skip school, all of us would go downtown all day. The trains on 12....the "For Kids Only" shop.

Sledding at Balduck at least one day over the holidays....providing there was snow.

Gasco Christmas party...usually at Noble St, couple times at Rouge station.

Visiting my ma's old neighbors on Medbury near Frontenac. Mrs. Witherspoon was a great Xmas goodie maker.

Always did the Christmas Light tour night.....eastside and Grosse Pte. In those days, one's without lights up were the minority.

Oh hell, how could I almost forget. The Ford Rotunda.

I know there is more, but I forget more than I remember these days.

And for us it also included a stop at Grinnell's on Woodward following downtown shopping to hear different high school choirs singing songs of Christmas in their lobby.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    I think that was George P Johnson, owner of Geo. P Johnson Displays?
    I don't remember who owned the home; I just remember going to Three Mile Dr and thinking it was one of the mile roads, like Seven or Eight, and was confused by the beautiful homes when all I knew of Mile Rds was stores.
    Three Mile is around the block from Whittier, so maybe that's what I'm remembering.
    Last edited by jcole; December-03-12 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I remember going to the Christmas display/carnival at Cobo in the 70s.
    I'm pretty sure the Christmas Fantasy was moved to Cobo Hall when the Ford Rotunda burned down November, 1962. Here's a story about the History of the Ford Rotunda.

http://automotivemileposts.com/autob...rdrotunda.html
    Last edited by MidTownMs; December-03-12 at 10:15 AM.

All of the above, and I enjoyed the Hanukkah lights on our west side way to Northland. Also took the holiday drive to Belle Isle, the conservatory was filled with beautiful, exotic, poinsettias.
    The highlight at the Rotunda was trying to spot mom's Goodfellow Dolls in the huge display of dolls in home-designed and made clothes.
    he real Santa was at Hudson's, the others were just his helpers.
    Sonny Elliot and his wife Annette helped me enjoy the parade in color, even though I was watching on a black and white set.

When we were kids, Christmas season didn't start until Santa arrived at Hudson's downtown. [[Unlike now when it starts before Halloween.)

Remember the pink Santa's castle on the front of the Hudson's where the mayor would give Santa the key to "the hearts of all the good little boys and girls in Detroit"? Remember his sidekick/assistant, Christmas Carol, with the "patent leather hair"?

After Thanksgiving dinner, my folks would pile all of us kids in the station wagon to go downtown to see the lights. We would sing carols the entire time, including Polish carols/Koledy. After seeing the lights, we'd always stop at Otto's Crispy Corn n the way home for warm, fresh bags of carmel and cheese corn.

Christmas centered around our Polish traditions like Wigilia dinner on Christmas eve. Then, depending on whether or not Dad was on duty with the DFD, usually midnight mass.

I'm glad to still have such wonderful memories which I don't young people would appreciate now a days.
    Last edited by mtm49269; December-04-12 at 02:09 PM. Reason: fix typo

I miss everything also but miss the Hudson catalog the most, mailed out every Xmas, I would look and wish for hours, the descriptions of what each toy would do was fascinating for a kid back in 1954.

Here are some images from another thread in the last few years.

Name:  scan0002.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  72.6 KBName:  scan0003.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  68.6 KBName:  scan0004.jpg
Views: 1756
Size:  69.5 KBName:  scan0005.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  63.6 KBName:  scan0006.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  70.9 KBName:  scan0007.jpg
Views: 1636