Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Moving to Detroit - what areas?

My husband and I are moving to Detroit [[from da 'burbs). Our budget is $100k.

I've only been looking online; most of what I've found that interests me is in University District and Sherwood Forest [[I like old houses, hardwood floors, etc.). Occasionally I'll find something I like in Virginia Park, La Salle Gardens, or North Rosedale Park, but those areas set off my spidey sense.

Are those areas safe? What other areas should I consider?

JVB Guest

What are you looking for other than just older houses with hardwood floors? What is important to you and what would you like to avoid? Those neighborhoods all have something different to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    My husband and I are moving to Detroit [[from da 'burbs). Our budget is $100k.

I've only been looking online; most of what I've found that interests me is in University District and Sherwood Forest [[I like old houses, hardwood floors, etc.). Occasionally I'll find something I like in Virginia Park, La Salle Gardens, or North Rosedale Park, but those areas set off my spidey sense.

Are those areas safe? What other areas should I consider?
    Have you looked @ any homes in Indian Village?

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    What are you looking for other than just older houses with hardwood floors? What is important to you and what would you like to avoid? Those neighborhoods all have something different to offer.
    I'd like to avoid being robbed or killed.

I'm not too concerned about schools.

I like neighbors who take care of their property.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky-Tonk View Post
    Have you looked @ any homes in Indian Village?
    I LOVE Indian Village, but I don't think $100k will cut it there, will it?
    Last edited by jolla; November-28-12 at 08:59 PM.

JVB Guest

I don't want you to take this the wrong way, so please don't. But if you're not familiar enough with Detroit's various neighborhoods to know which ones are desirable, are you really sure you should be moving to Detroit?

Anyway, I've never liked the west side much but most people I know in Rosedale Park like it. Sherwood Forest is meh. Virginia Park and LaSalle Gardens hell no.

Follow your vibe as well as advice... Don't do Virginia Park or LaSalle Gardens. Those areas border a severe hard drop off into some rough areas, like Linwood, Clairmont and Euclid etc. Sherwood Forest ok and you're not far from the border to check out surrounding suburbs when you want. I just don't know much about University District.

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    Occasionally I'll find something I like in Virginia Park, La Salle Gardens, or North Rosedale Park, but those areas set off my spidey sense.
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-28-12 at 09:08 PM.

I'm pretty sure it will. I DO know a Real Estate agent that is a home owner and involved with the community there, if you're interested.

I would definitely have a look at Indian Village, and I think you may be able to find something these days within your budget. IV has the big advantage of being much closer to downtown and midtown than those other neighborhoods, and Grosse Pointe isn't far either.

You might also consider Woodbridge, which has some very nice old homes and is both safer and closer to the center of the city than Virginia Park or LaSalle Gardens. My sister lived there for several years before she was transferred south and really loved it.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; November-28-12 at 09:27 PM.

There are sights with up to date crime data just use a good search engine. The University District is the best bang for the buck most of the homes are in good condition and the neighbors seem to care about the area. Quite a few of the homes can be found in their original as built condition, when I was there for the tour a couple months ago I was marveling at the how well preserved they were. Most of the homes are 2,000 to 4,000 sq ft so find one you will not get over you heads on.
    Sherwood Forest has decent security and of course somewhat larger homes and has been mentioned close to the southern Oakland Co. burbs. The homes in Sherwood forest are also in pretty good condition for the most part. Also there are not that many deals there now.
    Indian Village is not for the faint of heart. 100k will get you in the door but its the upkeep after you purchase the home that might be daunting. Do look at the homes there but do your homework on the upkeep of the each home. IV has one headache a family that lives in West Village has been robbing homes in IV since long before I was robbed by them in the Mid 80's. They know everyone's schedules and can be a real pain.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; November-28-12 at 09:25 PM.

I really, really love the architecture and neighborhood feel of the University District.

I personally wouldn't buy there, though. Too many uncertainties right now.

If Detroit city proper is an absolute must, I would invest where govt. invests: Downtown and Midtown. Better chances of future prosperity than the outer neighborhoods, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    . IV has one headache a family that lives in West Village has been robbing homes in IV since long before I was robbed by them in the Mid 80's. They know everyone's schedules and can be a real pain.
    Do tell. Since the mid 80's, eh? And everyone in IV knows this, and still it goes on, since the mid-80's. Do they run ads in the Monitor? "Homes Robbed, Cars Jacked, Call: XXX-XXXX." Now that's a LONG time, and this is a family owned business? Probably passed down father to son. Well @ least they're well established, "Same location, for Over 40 years". @ least you're not dealing with some fly-by-night operation. You could probably get your stuff back @ the Annual Indian Village Yard Sale.

How is Jefferson-Chalmers? Like say, Avondale to Lake St. Clair?

Agreed... that would have an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    If Detroit city proper is an absolute must, I would invest where govt. invests: Downtown and Midtown. Better chances of future prosperity than the outer neighborhoods, IMO.

I like it. Very nice, and great looking homes. I don't think Jolla can get in there for 100K, though. It might be worth looking around, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Do tell. Since the mid 80's, eh? And everyone in IV knows this, and still it goes on, since the mid-80's. Do they run ads in the Monitor? "Homes Robbed, Cars Jacked, Call: XXX-XXXX." Now that's a LONG time, and this is a family owned business? Probably passed down father to son. Well @ least they're well established, "Same location, for Over 40 years". @ least you're not dealing with some fly-by-night operation. You could probably get your stuff back @ the Annual Indian Village Yard Sale.
    I had a feeling the what have you been smoking would come out. I was at a dinner party the past September at a home on Burns and the discussion turned to this group. I was quite surprised to find out they still existed. Also when you travel around he is hard to see but there is a century on Lafayette and Seyburn. Look hard and you will find him, and I have a feeling there are quite a few more in the area. When its all said and done somebody is watching your every move and there is nothing you can do about it!!
    Last edited by p69rrh51; November-28-12 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I had a feeling the what have you been smoking would come out. I was at a dinner party the past September at a home on Burns and the discussion turned to this group. I was quite surprised to find out they still existed. Also when you travel around he is hard to see but there is a century on Lafayette and Seyburn. Look hard and you will find him, and I have a feeling there are quite a few more in the area. When its all said and done somebody is watching your every move and there is nothing you can do about it!!
    What I'm smoking is all natural. The claim that they've been in business for 30-some years and "there is nothing you can do about it", seems a bit out of place. The claim tells me the perpetrators have been seen red-handed. The solution is simple. You take it to the authorities, if they "are too busy", then handle it inhouse. They have neighborhood patrols for that reason. I have no doubt crimes are committed in the area, but that one, established family, is doing all of them, like a 7-11 family owned business, for 30 years, and they're known, well I have to ask what's in YOUR pipe? I see the guys on Lafayette & Van Dyke, but they hit me as nickel-baggers. I'll keep my eyes open for this sentry though. Maybe I'll just ask him if he's stalking homes.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; November-28-12 at 10:33 PM.

I have lived in Indian Village, Lafayette Park, a couple of high rises on the Riverfront, and Mid-Town. I enjoyed living in each one of those communities. Mid-Town is as far west as I have ever lived in Detroit. My brother has lived in Rosedale Park for over 30 years and it's really beautiful where is lives. He has never had any problems there. Grandmont has some beautiful homes too. But the problem with a lot of really nice neighborhoods in Detroit is that the surrounding areas leave a lot to be desired. Example: Indian Village which is in zip code 48214. Because IV is in that zip code your insurance, especially auto insurance, will be incredibly expensive not to mention what you will pay to secure your property. My advice to you is to get off the internet and go into those neighborhoods you are considering. Most of the better neighborhoods have block clubs and neighborhood associations. Go to the meetings meet people and ask questions. Don't depend on Google Maps. Many of those street views are old. If you don't know Detroit my advice is to proceed with caution. Read what people post here and believe them!!!

Sounds like you've been up and down the block a few times. Can I ask which high rises you lived in, and how you liked it?

Each of these neighborhoods has its own vibe, as well as its own crowd. I live in Corktown right now. For $100,000 it would be tight but doable. For $150,000, you're in business. For $170,000 you could easily pick up a duplex, live in one half, and rent out the other half for $750-$1,000 without blinking an eye.

Corktown is mostly a young, somewhat hipster-ish, somewhat granola crowd as well as a lot of old time Corktown-ites that tend to be blue collar Irish or Maltese. Very little to speak of in violent crime. Some petty theft, but uncommon as long as you're being smart about it. It's not an endless string of home invasions and copper scrappers, I can tell you that.

FWIW, it's also almost 99% white. Whether that's good, bad, indifferent to you...it's worth noting.

Downtown is a bit more my scene, but it's pricey. Downtown has a higher-income clientele but its many business serve such a wide array of crowds that you'll get much more diversity there. [[Diversity not as code word, but in describing the way many more crowds kind of intersect there.) Plus, you've got hotels and major tourist attractions, so you're more likely to see a cosmopolitan crowd from all sorts of places.

Crime is also a non-issue here. Brush Park is probably your best bet. Footsteps from Comerica Park and you can find condos around $110-$140k.

$100k makes it tough.

Lastly, if you're shopping foreclosures, forget about the asking price. The last 3 foreclosures I bid on, I lost to buyers who paid over asking. Sometimes well over asking. For Corktown, you can shop and find $75-90 per square foot. Downtown/Midtown it's more like $100-$120 per square foot. Premium space, like Riverfront Towers, Canfield Lofts, Willy's Lofts, Grinnell Lofts, you're looking at $150+ per square foot. Willy's just sold a place for $200 per square foot.

Hope that helps - CTY

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Sounds like you've been up and down the block a few times. Can I ask which high rises you lived in, and how you liked it?
    I have lived at the River House Coop, Indian Village Manor, Harbor Town, and Riverfront Park. I had no complaints about any of them. But my preference was the older buildings like Indian Village Manor and River House because I prefer older structures which is why I moved to Mid-Town. I also preferred cooperative over condo living. My last residence before I left Detroit was in Mid-Town which in my opinion is just about the best place to live if you're going to live in Detroit.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; November-28-12 at 11:33 PM.

If you want a house like the ones in the University District, I would strongly recommend the University District. The prices are very reasonable but make sure you understand the maintenance and heating costs. Green Acres might be another similar option, although the houses tend to be a bit smaller. If you would rather be closer to downtown/GP instead of closer to the northwest suburbs, you might try EEV; again the houses are a bit smaller. I also don't think anyone has mentioned Woodbridge, where the houses are somewhat different but still nice.

Some of the houses in LaSalle Gardens are beautiful, but I don't think I'd be comfortable living there. I'd be more inclined to look at Virginia Park--its prospects for improvement as part of Midtown would seem superior. Might still be too edgy.

Good advice. Drive thru the areas at various times... look at the surrounding streets. Evaluate the grid of streets a mile or so in all directions of where you think you want to live. Does a very bad area share the same alley of the street your interested in... if so breaks could occur from that street upon the better one. You want a strong buffer...

West Grand Blvd at Linwood [[near Lasalle Gardens) for example, is vastly different from West Grand Blvd and Cass by the Fisher Building, New Center 1 buildings, etc. The CVS on West Grand Blvd not far from Ferry Pk does not have an ATM, due to higher crime at that particular store. The CVS on Lothrop and Woodward does, as does the one in the medical center [[Warren and John R)... all of these subtleties must be taken into account.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    My advice to you is to get off the internet and go into those neighborhoods you are considering. Most of the better neighborhoods have block clubs and neighborhood associations. Go to the meetings meet people and ask questions. Don't depend on Google Maps. Many of those street views are old. If you don't know Detroit my advice is to proceed with caution. Read what people post here and believe them!!!
    Last edited by Zacha341; November-29-12 at 04:44 AM.

Hubbard Farms might be an option. I’m not sure what the homes are going for there, but with a budget of 100k, you’re likely to be in the ball park on most of the homes. I’ve always liked the community feel to that neighborhood, it is also very diverse, plus you’re within walking distance to Clark park, and a short drive Downtown. I have a friend that lives there [[originally from Ann Arbor), with his wife and three kids and he loves the area.

Attached is a short video from D:hive.

http://vimeo.com/46461169

Jolla,
    Some other areas to consider and research:

Eastside: the area near St. John's Hospital east of Moross. I believe this area has a GP zip code.

Westside: The Rouge Park subdivision in the Ann Arbor Trail [[north), Telegraph [[West) and Joy Road [[East) area ie. Parkland St or some other streets in that area.

As previously mentioned, just do a drive by of the areas that some of the forumers mentioned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast