Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 40th annual Noel Night- Saturday, December 1st

http://midtowndetroitinc.org/events/...ght/noel-night

The 40th annual Noel Night will take place on Saturday, December 1st, 2012, from 5:00pm-9:30pm in Midtown Detroit's Cultural Center Area. Over 60 Midtown venues, including the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, the Detroit Historical Museum, and the Detroit Public Library, amongst many others, open their doors to the public FREE of CHARGE during this Cultural Center-wide holiday "open house." Activities include horse-drawn carriage rides, holiday shopping, family craft activities and performances by over 120 area music, theatre, and dance groups. The evening's festivities culminate with a community sing-along on Woodward Avenue led by the Salvation Army Band — a long-standing Noel Night tradition.

Thornetta Davis will be performing at 7:45 in the Friends Auditorium at the Detroit Public Library. The Grillmaster will be drumming for her. An SRO crowd is expected [[if the crowds are anything like the past several years) so get there early. Performing in the Auditorium just ahead of Thornetta are The Tartan Terrors, a wonderfully funny Irish/Scotch musical act from Toronto.

Hope to see you there!!

Would you expect the crowds to be overwhelming? Would it be hard to get a drink at Motor City Brewing Works?

Did you go?

Due to unforeseen circumstances, we went only for the gig with Thornetta at the Library. Another SRO crowd this year!! And a wonderful performance enjoyed by all!

The Midtown area was packed when we arrived around 6:45 and still going strong when we left at 9:15!!! Never seen so many people in the Cultural Center down to Mack Avenue!!! I'm sure the warm weather played a big part in that...but the musical offerings at Noel Night and the Majestic and Orchestra Hall also were very attractive.

What a night!!!

There were A LOT more people than last year. I think the mild weather played a major role.

We indulged in some Honest John's goodness before heading down...and totally misjudged the timing due the traffic. And we were walking.

My Livonia Friend had an app on his smartphone that tracked traffic flow, and it showed gridlock for over a mile on both Woodward and Cass Avenue! And spurs of a block deep around the perimeter...

And it described the sidewalks as well. I couldn't imagine.

I've never seen so many people, especially families with small children, in one place...except the parade. It was amazing...almost too much, but all good energy.

But we missed Thornetta, thinking RJ was only playing one set at the Scarab Club...but we knew it was too late at even seven o'clock to get into that room in the DIA for her.

RJ had his Planet D Nonet big band swingin'...fronted by singer Camille Price, who heated the place up. James sang a few tunes, and brought down the house. First was The Grinch, and then he sang like Louie Armstrong...I couldn't stop giggling, and RJ caught that with a nod and grin.

Then I ran into ErikD and JStone walking across Woodward or Cass...and the next couple hours are a blur.

Actually, it's all fuzzy, I pulled an all-nighter...[[People's Records) Brad's Magic City Soul Night first Saturday gig at CAID was last night. Straight Kona coffee isn't even making a dent...

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; December-02-12 at 02:43 PM.

^^^ Dangy.... Sounds like I missed a good one G! I wanted to go but was not feeling so great! Good to hear about so many people out and about!