Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Key State Senator Calls Detroit Government Dysfunctional and Blatantly Stupid

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...atantly_stupid
    I don't really disagree, however, I don't see how the fire breathing rhetoric from both sides is going to help this situation at all.

I really hope that they are able to pass the transportation bill. What is meant in the article about merging the city government with Wayne County? Would all of Wayne County become an expanded Detroit, or would the county somehow run the city?

I'm in total agreement that he's both correct in what he says, but inappropriate and unhelpful in saying it.

JVB Guest

Detroit City Council is dysfunctional and blatantly stupid [[not all 9, but the majority), but he's got no business saying it. And that sure as hell isn't going to help the situation, so I suppose that makes him blatantly stupid for saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Detroit City Council is dysfunctional and blatantly stupid [[not all 9, but the majority), but he's got no business saying it. And that sure as hell isn't going to help the situation, so I suppose that makes him blatantly stupid for saying it.
    I agree totally on all points you made there.

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Yep.

Chapter 9 Bankruptcy is a lock now. There's no way the City Council is going to approve the Miller Canfield contract once they get a wind of this.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post
    I don't really disagree, however, I don't see how the fire breathing rhetoric from both sides is going to help this situation at all.

I really hope that they are able to pass the transportation bill. What is meant in the article about merging the city government with Wayne County? Would all of Wayne County become an expanded Detroit, or would the county somehow run the city?
    No way will Wayne merge with Detroit and allow Detroit to maintain the reins. It means that all the Detroit positions disappear and everything gets run by the County.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbollma View Post

It's really just baseless rhetoric. Even if people were serious about merging Wayne County and Detroit, there's no way in hell the suburban residents or the city residents would vote in support of it, which is required by the Home Rule Cities Act.

That proposal is just as much dead on arrival as Grosse Pointe Shores moving completely into Macomb County.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Yep.

Chapter 9 Bankruptcy is a lock now. There's no way the City Council is going to approve the Miller Canfield contract once they get a wind of this.
    Maybe that's WHY he said it. This way the State is off the hook. "Oh well, we tried"..

He's an idiot for saying it. City Council is an idiot for not saying "We Want Chapter 9", if that's what they really want. I don't agree with them, but there are lots of politicians that I can respect with whom I disagree. What we're witnessing right now really does look totally stupid and dysfunctional.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    He's an idiot for saying it. City Council is an idiot for not saying "We Want Chapter 9", if that's what they really want. I don't agree with them, but there are lots of politicians that I can respect with whom I disagree. What we're witnessing right now really does look totally stupid and dysfunctional.
    Even if Council did openly advocate for Chapter 9 [[one member did and another won't advocate for it if hell froze over), Snyder has made it clear that bankruptcy
    is still not an option. Snyder's the ones who makes the final call under current state law, unless PA 76 passes.

It's really just baseless rhetoric. Even if people were serious about merging Wayne County and Detroit, there's no way in hell the suburban residents or the city residents would vote in support of it, which is required by the Home Rule Cities Act.

That proposal is just as much dead on arrival as Grosse Pointe Shores moving completely into Macomb County.
    I agree. I never understood the thinking that widening the hole somehow helps the problem. The suburbs especially the inner ring are not far behind Detroit. And for that matter Wayne County is not in great a shape.

Jack Brandenburg used to be my state rep in SCS, he always used to rouse the anti-Detroit feelings at election time... and is a stooge.

When he got term limited as a Rep, he decided to go north and become a State Senator.... just check out his district area.... mainly exurban....
    http://www.misenategop.com/senators/...sp?District=11

His son then ran for his SCS area district... but lucky for us.... he lost... St. Claiir Shores had enough Brandenburgs's for a lifetime.

Although not as bad as a Jay or a Di'Nello.... he comes from the same cloth...

and today in the news: a republican called Detroit stupid!

Even if Council did openly advocate for Chapter 9 [[one member did and another won't advocate for it if hell froze over), Snyder has made it clear that bankruptcy
    is still not an option. Snyder's the ones who makes the final call under current state law, unless PA 76 passes.
    So far, you're doing a better job than they are. All City Council needs to do is a pass a resolution stating:

[[1) We prefer Chapter 9 as the best process to restructure.
    [[2) We disagree with the governor and are unwilling to cooperate with him and the laws on the books.
    [[3) We will accept any and all consequences relating to this decision whiles we pursue every avenue to protest the validity of current law.

By failing to openly advocating exactly what you are stating, the City Council just ends up looking incompetent.

...the City Council just ends up looking incompetent.
    Looking? Is.

Maybe you guys should elect him to the city council as he seems to be operating at the same level he is chastising,lead by example?

Like a bunch of teenagers all of this name calling.

He's right, but Jack Brandenburg is the very last person to be calling anybody or anything stupid, bless his stupid heart. This is the pot calling the kettle black. And, did he forget he's part of a caucus that has proposed some ridiculous and down-right stupid legislation?

Jack would find very quickly if transported to council chambers that there is very little difference between his personality and that of some of the more colorful council members. And that is to say that'd be fit right in.

Then it's unanimous, Jack Brandenburg for Detroit City Council!

...the City Council just ends up looking incompetent.
    They are incompetent.

For certain. His comment only garners more of the 'circling of the wagons' defensive 'us vs. them' mentality!

For those who haven't read it, the Metro Times has a interesting article on the City Council [[from a different perspective than the MSM).

http://metrotimes.com/news/council-s...ions-1.1409005

For those who haven't read it, the Metro Times has a interesting article on the City Council [[from a different perspective than the MSM).

Good post, good read, and good journalism. Thanx.

Thanks for the link. Nice to see some actual reporting on this issue. Too bad we can't get the same from the News and Free Press, and other major media outlets.

Thanks for posting the link 313WX. The Metro Times articles sums up many of the concerns I had in my earlier post. Council is not always the enemy, especially when they exercise their role of due diligence.

What I don't understand is why more people aren't questioning Bing's actions and motives.

Hilarious someone in the state legislature calling any other political body stupid and dysfunctional. Not that he's wrong, but there's plenty of people who feel the same way about the legislature.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast