Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Temple Baptist Church

I was reading a book called Sword of the Lord: The Roots of Fundamentalism in America Family which I highly recommend if you want some insight into the religious right. The book mentioned J. Frank Norris an influential Baptist preacher from Forth Worth in 20, 30's and 40's. In 1935, he added preaching at Temple Baptist, what is now King Solomon Baptist, in Detroit. Now Norris was a nasty bigot, who praised the KKK, said "Catholics would behead every Protestant preacher and disembowel every mother Protest mother"etc.

My question is what happen to this church after the move to W. Chicago and does anyone have more stories/history of the church while it was in Detroit?

Temple Baptist Church from 1934 to 1951. Temple was a conservative, pro-segregationist church that barred African Americans from attending, and boasted a congregation of 5,000.
    Temple relocated to a large facility on Grand River Avenue where there was a sizable white population. But after the neighborhood became more mixed demographically, Temple once again relocated to West Chicago Avenue near Telegraph Road.

http://www.abandonedonline.net/2012/...aptist-church/

W Chicago location:
    http://www.cardcow.com/64647/temple-...roit-michigan/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Frank_Norris

"All religion is bunk". With apologies to Henry Ford.

[QUOTE=MSUguy;352477]
    My question is what happen to this church after the move to W. Chicago and does anyone have more stories/history of the church while it was in Detroit?

Truman Dollar was Pastor in 80's. He was successful in removing the segregational policies of the parish. However, he was discredited by other church leaders. They investigated and found evidence he was having an affair with a former member of his [[previous)Kansas City church.
    Membership severely declined during his leadership, down from 10,000 or so to less than 1,000. Blaming location, the parish built a new church in Plymouth. They sold the West Chicago church to Word Of Faith for about 2 mil, after a short time, Word Faith sold this church to World Outreach for about 6 mil.
    The new Temple Baptist in Plymouth did not flourish. Parish voted to change name to NorthRidge. There is no longer any affiliation with any Baptist sects.
    NorthRidge is now a non-denominational mega-church.

[QUOTE=ThosWolfe;352494]
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post

Truman Dollar was Pastor in 80's. He was successful in removing the segregational policies of the parish. However, he was discredited by other church leaders. They investigated and found evidence he was having an affair with a former member of his [[previous)Kansas City church.
    Membership severely declined during his leadership, down from 10,000 or so to less than 1,000. Blaming location, the parish built a new church in Plymouth. They sold the West Chicago church to Word Of Faith for about 2 mil, after a short time, Word Faith sold this church to World Outreach for about 6 mil.
    The new Temple Baptist in Plymouth did not flourish. Parish voted to change name to NorthRidge. There is no longer any affiliation with any Baptist sects.
    NorthRidge is now a non-denominational mega-church.
    Is Truman Dollar related to Creflo?

Is Truman Dollar related to Creflo?
    I looked at Creflo's World Changers website, looked for pastor's bio.
    It's not likely Creflo Dollar is closely related to Truman Dollar.
    There is a photo of the Pastor. Creflo is clearly African American. Truman Dollar obviously was Caucasian.

It is worth noting that Temple Baptist/King Solomon was added to the National Register of Historic Sites in 2014. The two major buildings on 14th are still standing but I believe that it is now a
    dormant congregation. I think I read that they had their electricity and water turned off.

Temple Baptist Church Building is now called Detroit World Outreach [[DWO).

What's left of Temple Baptist is now called Northridge Church. My Friend used to a member there before he moved away.
    Last edited by Danny; July-30-15 at 10:31 PM.

The original Temple Baptist Church was designed by J. Will Wilson. 6125 Fourteenth Street built in 1920 King Solomon Baptist Church Historic District Detroit, MI. Includes an image of the church from the Burton Historical Collection circa 1925.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Also, Norris was a fierce separatist who chided other fundamentalist Ministers of not being conservative enough, and eventually the Texas Baptist Convention ousted his church from the state general association in 1924. In 1926, he shot and killed [[was acquitted) an unarmed lumberman from Fort Worth [[who he claimed was sent by evil forces from there to assassinate him) who only wanted to debate with him on his accusations against mayor Henry Clay Meachum.

I cannot stress enough how good the underrated Randall Balmer book "Encyclopedia of Evangelicalism" truly is.

My brother attended Temple [[prior to 2000), and dated a girl who had a family member who was instructed as a bus driver [[a long time ago) for the church not to transport African Americans.

Default Corrections

Late to the party, but a few corrections. The sale price of Temple Baptist to Word of Faith was about $4.5mm not $2mm. NorthRidge has flourished in its new location, and has been recognized as one of the 50 most influential churches in the country and for a while was the fastest growing church in the Midwest. Their Christmas productions draw >30,000 people. Location was a factor in the decline, as the church was drawing almost exclusively from the west [[and locally) and minimally from the east [[Detroit) or north and south directions.

Temple Baptist is now Northridge Church on Napier Rd. at Plymouth TWP., MI. They moved from the Redford TWP. location many years ago.