Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Building Address Question

I basically understand how the addressing system works, starts at Michigan or Ford I think and ascends or descends from there, same with Woodward and John R. I live near 9 and a half and Dequindre and the addresses top out at around 23800 before they end at Woodward heights, whereas on the other side of Deq. the addresses get up to 23900 or so before hitting Stephens. What is the reason for the difference of a hundred #s? The lot sizes further south?

Addresses Start at Cherry Hill and John R. Cherry Hill Moves off of Michigan at Ford Field in Dearborn, Woodward is the dividing line until McNichols [[6 Mile) where it shifts to John R.

Some of the suburbs have never converted to the general address range system and have really screwy numbers. Big skips may be because of land that was developed in a way with a huge lot that takes up several hundred addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Cherry Hill Moves off of Michigan at Ford Field in Dearborn
    Actually, the Rouge River is the dividing line between the north-south addresses until Ford Field [[the one in Dearborn), then it shifts to Cherry Hill.

Another north-south dividing line exists that follows the Detroit River east of the Ambassador Bridge and the Norfolk Southern railroad line [[the same one that eventually passes by Metro Airport to the north) west of the Bridge.

Odd numbers on north-south streets are on the east side of the street south of Cherry Hill and on the west side north of Cherry Hill; odd numbers on east-west streets are on the south side of the street on both sides of Cherry Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    ...snip... I live near 9 and a half and Dequindre and the addresses top out at around 23800
    About 40 years ago I learned this rule of thumb for North/South Streets to determine what Mile Road you were near. Using your address of 23900 Dequindre it goes like this:

1. Take the address and divide by 1000, so 23800 = 23.800
    2. From that subtract 5.000, so the result is 18.800
    3. Now divide by 2, the result is 9.40

Or 9.40 Mile Road

So when you say you are near 91/2 Mile Road that would make sense to me.

With a few exceptions, one can determine which mile roads an address is between on major north–south roads north of Five Mile/Fenkell by using the formula:

[[[first two numbers of the address)-5] / 2

Example: 34879 Gratiot Avenue [[[34-5)/2] = 14.5 which indicates the address is between 14 and 15 Mile Road. I

n the early days of addresses in the area, surveyors calculated position on the grid of mile roads to define addresses. The resulting system, sometimes referred to as the Detroit Edison system, generally assigns 2000 addresses to each mile. [[There are often gaps in the numbering; for instance, East addresses 9000 to 10999 are skipped). Addresses in the Detroit area tend to be much higher than in other large cities, with numbers in the 20000's common within the city limits and in the inner-ring suburbs. Typically, addresses of single family homes on adjacent lots on the grid system, both within Detroit and in the suburbs, are incremented by 8, 10, 12 or more rather than by 2 as is the case in most other large cities in the United States.

The highest addresses used in the Detroit system are the range 79000 to 80999, for north–south roads beyond 37 Mile Road in northern Macomb County, and from 81000 to the high 81900’s in the portion of the city of Memphis, MI that bulges ~0.5-mile [[0.80 km) into St. Clair County. For many years, the Guinness Book of Records incorrectly listed 81951 Main St [[aka M-19) in Memphis as the highest street address number anywhere, but much higher numbers appear in Topaz, CA, Key Largo, FL, and Grey County, Ontario addresses.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roads_a...roit#Addresses
    Last edited by jolla; November-27-12 at 09:06 PM. Reason: formatting

Good info, thanks all of you!

Directly south of me at 8 mile is a couple of blocks where the Warehouse Club / Federals and it's parking lot used to be, that may explain why addresses go higher both East and West of me.