Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ballaum Photography Studio

Hello everyone, long time lurker here. I'm a Dearborn native, born and raised there up until I was 20. Both of my parents have roots in Detroit as well. They both have relocated to Florida and I went along with them for the ride But to be perfectly honest I'm hopping to move back up north in the next year.

That old saying, you, don't know what you have till it's gone couldn't be more true. I absolutely miss Michigan. I can't be too upset with moving though as I think I've learned more about Detroit and it's history after I moved then I ever knew while living there. Go Figure.

Anyways that's my little introduction. I must say that this site has been quite amazing at keeping me up to date with what's going on in the Metro area and all the weird little history tidbits others manage to dig up. I just love that stuff. The Threads on architecture are amazing as well, something I've always wanted to study. Just all this history, I new was there but at the same time didn't really know...odd.

Well I guess I should get to my question. The other night I was helping my mother hang some old pictures of my grandparents [[her parents). The two that I'm curious about were taken in the early to mid 30's. I know at least one photograph is from 1931 due to the placard in the picture.

What I'm curious about is just the history on the photography studio they were taken at. Listed as "Ballaum Stuido" at 5848 Michigan Ave. By the looks of it, it's just a vacant lot now. I haven't looked at the DTE historical aerial photo collection yet to see about when the studio was demolished.

I'd just love to hear if any one has any back ground info on this particular studio or even perhaps pictures of the building itself.

It would have been just a stones throw away from where my my grandparents grew up, which was on Horatio St. near Martin St. I can get an exact address when my parents get home. If I'm not mistaken at least my grandmothers house is still standing on Horatio St. My grandfathers house was across the street and I believe that lot is now empty.

I'd love to try and find older pictures of either of those houses at some point. Just not sure where to start, if they even exist. I've looked through the WSU "Virtual Motor City Collection" of pictures but I can't find anything. I wouldn't really expect there to be a picture, at the time it was just a random neighborhood in big city so yea. Same with my fathers house which is now long gone on the East side. That was on McClellan St. near Kercheval St.

Like I said any info on the studio would be fantastic and I know both of them would enjoy hearing a bit more about it. And if you have any tips or suggestions how I might possibly be able to track down pictures of aforementioned houses I'd love to know. It's a long shot but doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm looking forward to hopefully being able to contribute something to this forum. This was just a good opportunity for me to finally sign up on here. Thanks again, and keep up the good work! I have more then a few friends up north that have moved into the Midtown area...I may very well be next
    Last edited by WonderCouncil; November-27-12 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks for the links piczka. Not sure what the first one is but it doesn't open as a .pdf file. It redirects me to U of M's Bentley Historical Library.

The second link is really interesting though. Lots of great photographs. Interesting to note that it also lists the 5848 Michigan Ave. address, as belonging to Joseph Ziawinski. I can't tell when those photo's were taken though...So I wonder if Mr. Ziawinski took over Ballaum or possibly vica versa.

Just a little bump to see if there is any other info out there by chance.

www.mipolonia.net

WonderCouncil, contact Ceil Jensen at the above web site. She has published books and several articles regarding old photo studios in Detroit and Hamtramck. She is a treasure trove of knowledge, especially Polish history of Detroit.