Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Time for me to start looking for a new home [[in another state) [Transit Funds]

This backwoods mess of a state can't get it's stuff together and we will continue to decline. No point in staying somewhere where there is no political will to do something to improve the city, region and state.:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

If I can't get my magic choo choo right now, I will hold my breath until I turn blue and die. Then you will be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    If I can't get my magic choo choo right now, I will hold my breath until I turn blue and die. Then you will be sorry.
    Condescending tone aside, this also impacts improving all mass transit, not just M1 rail. It appears the region and state believe that something as basic as decent buses on a reasonable number of routes is just not necessary.

This same attitude applies to pretty much a number of quality of life concerns. So, since you are jumping into the fray, tell me what Michigan offers that I can't find in a number of other states/countries?

Shollin Guest

Since the region lacks public transport, I'll give you a ride to the airport. Pack light because I drive a Ford Focus. Not a lot of room.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    This backwoods mess of a state can't get it's stuff together and we will continue to decline. No point in staying somewhere where there is no political will to do something to improve the city, region and state.:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE
    Not disagreeing with you, but what about anything in that article was any sort of surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Not disagreeing with you, but what about anything in that article was any sort of surprise?
    Nothing in the article was a surprise. That is what makes is so frustrating and sad.

Nothing in the article was a surprise. That is what makes is so frustrating and sad.
    Well, I think in order to be at peace with living here one needs to simply let go of any expectation that anything will change. I look at living here as I would look at living "up north". It's a backwater and I'm fine with it. The pace of life here is slow, the cost of living is low, and there is still a ton to do and see. Maybe it's because I travel a lot for work.... but I settled in to liking it here when I stopped hoping it would be more like Chicago/real city of your choice.

Maybe its some Stokholm syndrome going on, but after living elsewhere, for me it comes down to lifestyle. I can afford way more "lifestyle" here [[while maintaining a healthy work/life balance) than I could in any " real city". Because of that, I can visit them often with out all the hassle and expense of living in them.

But, but...

I thought Detroit and black people voting was the problem. And when their voice is dilluted the state can finally move forward.

At least that's the myth that some on this forum would have you believe.

In all seriousness though this incredibly dissapointing and crushing.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Well, I think in order to be at peace with living here one needs to simply let go of any expectation that anything will change. I look at living here as I would look at living "up north". It's a backwater and I'm fine with it. The pace of life here is slow, the cost of living is low, and there is still a ton to do and see. Maybe it's because I travel a lot for work.... but I settled in to liking it here when I stopped hoping it would be more like Chicago/real city of your choice.

Maybe its some Stokholm syndrome going on, but after living elsewhere, for me it comes down to lifestyle. I can afford way more "lifestyle" here [[while maintaining a healthy work/life balance) than I could in any " real city". Because of that, I can visit them often with out all the hassle and expense of living in them.
    Very sage like insights. I appreciate the thoughts an d it does make a lot of sense. Just mainly speaking out of frustration.

The decision makers in Michigan seem to be completely opposed to shared resources/public goods unless it's a road or freeway. I don't think it's a new mentality either and might go further than just being anti-Detroit/anti-black. It might be something more cultural, like how southern and western plains states are so anti-gun control. If I'm right then it certainly would help to explain why the public transit projects that Detroit desperately needed in the early to mid-20th century were never built.

mid-20th century was when public transit was finally killed off in Detroit. Small mindedness, racism, parochialism etc have knocked down any attempt to re-establish decent transit in Detroit and environs since the People Mover

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    mid-20th century was when public transit was finally killed off in Detroit. Small mindedness, racism, parochialism etc have knocked down any attempt to re-establish decent transit in Detroit and environs since the People Mover
    In the mid-20th century it was killed off by the private line owners who abandoned the system because it was not making any money. For the last 50+ years the public has borne the expense of this because the private sector would not. In case you've been living in a bubble, the City, County, and nearly every suburb are broke. They have begun to see transit the same way that the private owner saw it.

If you want good transit, you or many others are not making it known to the public officials that fund these things. Otherwise it would be well coordinated and funded.

To say that the demise of transit 50 years ago was because govt wanted it to go away is simply not what happened.

"Before the city shows us they can survive as an entity and not go into bankruptcy, I think it's going to be hard to pass other issues that help the city," said state Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge.

There it is.

The issue of transportation has been boiled down as aid to be doled out to the city of Detroit.

Romney, Limbaugh and the rest of their party didn't misspeak with their "gift to minorities" bullhsit. That is how they actually view the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Since the region lacks public transport, I'll give you a ride to the airport. Pack light because I drive a Ford Focus. Not a lot of room.
    You should've gone with the hatchback......

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    "Before the city shows us they can survive as an entity and not go into bankruptcy, I think it's going to be hard to pass other issues that help the city," said state Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge.

There it is.

The issue of transportation has been boiled down as aid to be doled out to the city of Detroit.

Romney, Limbaugh and the rest of their party didn't misspeak with their "gift to minorities" bullhsit. That is how they actually view the world.
    With all due respect...and let it be known that I voted for Obama and also that I think Limbaugh is a total idiot...it's worth understanding that public transportation will disproportionately benefit Detroiters. Surely, it will benefit all of us in the region, which is why even Brooks Patterson is in favor of it. But it will disproportionately benefit Detroiters, so there is validity to seeing public transportation as being aid to the city of Detroit.

I also agree with you that there are large segments of the GOP that do hold the worldview of "gift to minorities". I lend no credence to their position and find it offensive and destructive to progress.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The decision makers in Michigan seem to be completely opposed to shared resources/public goods unless it's a road or freeway. I don't think it's a new mentality either and might go further than just being anti-Detroit/anti-black. It might be something more cultural, like how southern and western plains states are so anti-gun control. If I'm right then it certainly would help to explain why the public transit projects that Detroit desperately needed in the early to mid-20th century were never built.
    Someone I worked with once, [[and he was VERY well traveled), said that in all the places around the world he'd been, he'd never seen so many American cars in one place as in Detroit. I wonder if the anti-mass transit attitude here is by design?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    In the mid-20th century it was killed off by the private line owners who abandoned the system because it was not making any money. For the last 50+ years the public has borne the expense of this because the private sector would not. In case you've been living in a bubble, the City, County, and nearly every suburb are broke. They have begun to see transit the same way that the private owner saw it.

If you want good transit, you or many others are not making it known to the public officials that fund these things. Otherwise it would be well coordinated and funded.

To say that the demise of transit 50 years ago was because govt wanted it to go away is simply not what happened.
    Privately owned transit was killed by the government [[though it probably would have died anyway). The city of Detroit refused to renew the franchise for the streetcar system and forced the DUR to sell it to the city [[DSR) for a fraction of its value. The city then made if virtually impossible and unprofitable for the suburban lines of the DUR to reach the city center. The state highway department made the DUR pay all of the cost to relocate their rails and electric wires whenever the highway department wanted to widen the road. Various small towns along the way of the DUR held the company hostage with a gun at their head whenever a franchise came up for renewal.

Publicly owned rail transit was directly killed by the government of the city of Detroit.

Condescending tone aside...
    Not so fast. The condescending tone is exactly why people like you and myself can never expect change and MUST leave. This region is full of people, who, while many are set to expire soon, have dug in their heels and will continue to elect those who will do their damndest to prevent this region from getting any of the trappings of civilization. There's no point in trying to compromise since they're just going to mock you, in all their wisdom. They're on both sides of 8 Mile, too.
    "We need to have a serious discussion how to leverege these federal funds to fix our redundant, broken transit system!"
    "Oh so you want a magic choo-choo, fairy boy? Why don't you take you and your liberal degree to communist China!"

Don't even bother. Just try to enjoy the time you're still stuck here [[baily sums up the positives and the reality of life here)and research other cities to live in. That's what I do.

"Publicly owned rail transit was directly killed by the government of the city of Detroit."

Now there's a shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Publicly owned rail transit was directly killed by the government of the city of Detroit.
    As usual, cherry-picking your facts and grinding the same old ax.

Keep on telling half the story and maybe people will believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Don't even bother. Just try to enjoy the time you're still stuck here [[baily sums up the positives and the reality of life here)and research other cities to live in. That's what I do.
    That's solid advice. I'm essentially doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    As usual, cherry-picking your facts and grinding the same old ax.

Keep on telling half the story and maybe people will believe it.

I think Hermod quit Michigan, the region and the city long ago for Florida. The tantrums that led him to leave the home state are long forgotten but the gall is still there. The train is never anything more than a choo-choo train to him, and yet he claims the city of Detroit singlehandedly killed transit.

Lack of transit/density/"real city" is one of the things holding back this region and a prime cause of the "brain drain" people fret about in the region.

I am thinking of starting a website/petition where college-educated people outside the region who either [[1) were born or raised in the region/state and attended college elsewhere or [[2) attended college in the region/state can sign up to support the RTA/transit legislation.

I can think of a few dozen friends just in NY and Chicago, where I spent my time away, that are dying to come back but think the Metro is just *not quite* there yet.

Would anybody here be interested in supporting this sort of initiative, whether by signing themselves or passing it along to others via facebook, linkedin, etc.?

I will add that I would not expect many or even most of them to come back, but that even 5-10% of these people would represent a sea change in the number of educated and driven in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I think Hermod quit Michigan, the region and the city long ago for Florida. The tantrums that led him to leave the home state are long forgotten but the gall is still there. The train is never anything more than a choo-choo train to him, and yet he claims the city of Detroit singlehandedly killed transit.
    It was long ago. It was November 1961 to be exact.

I didn't leave for Florida. That is just where I ended up.

Aberdeen, Maryland
    Blackstone, Virginia
    Aberdeen, Maryland
    Killeen, Texas
    Hanau, Germany
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Fayetteville, North Carolina
    Vietnam
    Aberdeen, Maryland
    Petersburg, Virginia
    Vietnam
    Colonial Heights, Virginia
    Lorton, Virginia
    Hampton, Virginia
    Lighthouse Point, Florida

It has been a bit of a ride.

Most of my family still lives in Michigan in an arc from New Baltimore to Ann Arbor. In fact, I am flying in to DTW tomorrow. I will stay with my sister in beautiful downtown Gingellville.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast