Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best men's haircut in Detroit

I like a barber, a real certified barber. I have curly hair so I don't like it too short...definitely don't want to go to one of those places that only does buzz cuts.

Where should I go!!?!

I don't really wanna spend more than 20 bucks and I don't want to leave the city limits.

Sam's Barber Shop in the Dime Building on the second floor is my favorite and would seem to meet your requirements. He's open Monday through Friday from 7am to 5pm. Call for an appointment.

When you say "curly" what exactly do you mean. There are various stages of curly. Question: Can you wear an "Afro" or are we talking Tony Curtis curls?
    Last edited by MidTownMs; November-26-12 at 01:09 PM.

Big D on Livernois at Curtis, ask for Irvin. He can give you a perm to tighten up your curls, cut the ends, shape it and the girls will notice the difference. It's in a good neighborhood with a parking lot on the side of the building. Tell him Strong referred you and I get $2 off my next cut. Thanks in advance

Its more of a "Jewfro" than an "Afro" [[ =

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    Rick at Men's Quarters - NW corner of Woodward and Michigan Ave [[don't remember the name of the highrise) - can take care of it for less than $20.

While you're at it, reward yourself with one of the best peanut butter cookies from the counter next to Bellacino's.

"When you say "curly" what exactly do you mean?"

I like a barber, a real certified barber. I have curly hair so I don't like it too short...definitely don't want to go to one of those places that only does buzz cuts.

Where should I go!!?!

I don't really wanna spend more than 20 bucks and I don't want to leave the city limits.
    You should check out Faro. He is awesome and is under $20. Faro's

155 West Congress Street, Detroit, MI
    [[313) 496-0068 ‎

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "When you say "curly" what exactly do you mean?"

Very Funny...

Gotcha..Then that would be Tony Curtis curly. Go to Curl Up & Dye [[Cass & Canfield) ask for Melissa..she will hook your Jewfro up!!!
    Last edited by MidTownMs; November-27-12 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
    Rick at Men's Quarters - NW corner of Woodward and Michigan Ave [[don't remember the name of the highrise) - can take care of it for less than $20.

While you're at it, reward yourself with one of the best peanut butter cookies from the counter next to Bellacino's.
    1001 Woodward AKA Standard Federal Bank Building.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1001_Woodward
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; November-26-12 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    Gotcha..go to Curl Up & Dye [[Cass & Canfield) ask for Melissa..she will hook your Jewfro up!!!
    Unfortunately, CU&D is a little bit above his $20 price range. Otherwise, I'd highly endorse them.

Interesting that this thread lacks any of the racial overtones of the Frank Rizzo thread. Moreover it is interesting that Dnerd has not contributed to this thread despite his self-proclaimed extensive knowledge about barbershops.

my theory on barbershops: the best shops are named Art's, Paul's, Sam's, Skip's or some such thing. Avoid anyplace with a cute name like Shear Pleasure or the Mane Event. Always go to the guy in the third chair. If you've never had a barber shave you need to experience the experience. Make sure you tip the guy.

I've had my hair cut there in the past. I liked it...

Quote Originally Posted by Strong View Post
    Big D on Livernois at Curtis, ask for Irvin. He can give you a perm to tighten up your curls, cut the ends, shape it and the girls will notice the difference. It's in a good neighborhood with a parking lot on the side of the building. Tell him Strong referred you and I get $2 off my next cut. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    Unfortunately, CU&D is a little bit above his $20 price range. Otherwise, I'd highly endorse them.
    He will get the new customer 20% discount.
    Last edited by MidTownMs; November-27-12 at 09:12 AM.

Where should I go!!?!

No personal experience, but people have told me these guys are good. While you're @ it, you might want to let them have a look @ those eyebrows........

http://gmrencen.com/services/gentsbydmongossalon.axis

No personal experience, but people have told me these guys are good. While you're @ it, you might want to let them have a look @ those eyebrows........

http://gmrencen.com/services/gentsbydmongossalon.axis
    This is where I used to go in the early 90s when I still had hair. Always did a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    This is where I used to go in the early 90s when I still had hair. Always did a good job.
    I remember hair.........

I remember hair.........
    Oh c'mon, hair doesn't go away. It just migrates to other parts of your body.

There's a guy named Vic at the American Hair Center in the Cadillac Place Bldg, [[formerly the GM Bldg) on W. Grand Blvd who is pretty good. He'll give you a haircut & neck shave for $18.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Oh c'mon, hair doesn't go away. It just migrates to other parts of your body.
    WELL! We finally agree on something!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    If you've never had a barber shave you need to experience the experience. Make sure you tip the guy.
    Any place you know where they still do a shave & a haircut? Most places I looked for my old man don't do shaves other than a neck shave.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    Sam's Barber Shop in the Dime Building on the second floor is my favorite and would seem to meet your requirements. He's open Monday through Friday from 7am to 5pm. Call for an appointment.
    https://plus.google.com/107485585780...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Went to Sam a few week's back based on Eric's recommendation. He's been in the Dime Building since 1954.......it was my first time and he did a good job, but I didn't explain well enough what I wanted but I wouldn't hesitate going back.

I usually go to a Chaldean barbershop in Sterling Heights, that also uses a straight razor but I ended up going back Sunday for a trim and he also does eye brow waxing which[[obviously) most barber shop's do not.

Now back when my grandfather was still alive and working downtown him and my uncle used to go to a guy who last worked in Stroh's River Place. Does anyone know if there still is a barber there?

Default Just a trim please!!

Have a seat, the barber will be right back.
    Name:  17-Abandoned-Barber-Shop-in-Chernobyls-Ghost-Town.jpg
Views: 1727
Size:  80.3 KB

Where should I go!!?!

County jail does a nice job and the price is right!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast