Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default History of Eastman's Gaslight

I am looking for some information and thanks to may members here have been able to make my request more concise. The older post was long and changed a lot. So, I am reposting with the specific information I am hoping to find.

I am looking for the history of Eastman's Gaslight prior to 1962, located at 441 Grand River. Specifically the owners, but any information will be greatly appreciated. I cannot find any information and am hoping to learn about this place between 1957 through 1959.

Thank you in advance for your help! You guys are awesome!!!

Springlilies

The folks here are pretty generous with their time and effort when it comes to solving riddles. In fact some of the best Hall of Fame threads are all about discovering hidden histories about places and people.

the key to the success of igniting people's imaginations in order to spur them to do research is to reveal as much information you have and to clearly state the reason why you want that info.

for example, you are looking for your grandfather's life story and you stumbled on a matchbook in his effects; or family lore has it that your ancestors farmed a particular plot of real estate.

the best way to not get people involved, is to be cagey and secretive. Folks are not inclined to help someone who doesn't want to cough up information.

and if you are looking for Herbert Hund, he died in 1955 and in addition to running Hund's at 441 grand river, he also owned the Northwood inn in Berkley.

Gnome, don't wish to de-rail this thread but, was that the same Hund family that ran the old roadhouse at 8 Mi. & Gratiot? If so, do you have knowledge of those folks?

/hijack

springlilies

Join DateNov 2012Posts10

Cass And Bagley
    I am trying to find out information regarding a greek restaurant or possibly a after hours club that existed on Cass and Bagley in the late 1950s. It was owned by a man named Tom and Della Reese alledgedly played there. Unfortunately, this is all I know, but I am hoping it will jog someone's memory.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Springlilies

In your first thread you were asking the question above.
    In an archived thread Discuss Detroit: Lindell A.C.[[Jimmy Butsicaris auction) the last poster asks this question, but there's no answer. Maybe you are looking for a different place.
    Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 1:40 pm:

Djack,

Do you remember an after hours bar near the original cass and bagley location? I believe it was owned by a arabic man. His name is Tom, he was a big guy and his fathers name is Alexander. It was closed in 1958 after a raid. I believe he went to jail for it. He was good friends with Jimmy B. I am trying to remember his last name and the name of the bar he owned. Do you remember?

Thanks.

Gnome's right, it would be nice to know why or what you're looking for.

Gnome and oldguy,

I have no problem sharing my story. I was adopted in 1959 to a wonderful family. In 2000, my dad became very ill and told me the story of my adoption. My birthmother had been a waitress at AC LIndells when she became pregnant with me. The owner, Jimmy, set up a private adoption.Every year on my birthday, my Birthmother would contact Jimmy and get and update on my life. When my dad told me this story, Jimmy was deceased and my father knew that he did not tell me about my birthmother, there would be no way for her to ever get an update again.

I have found her and we get along great! She is a very nice woman. Of course, I am curious about who my father was [[both her and my dad believe he is deceased). My father knew nothing about him, except that he was suppose to be deceased. My birthmother had a one night stand and does not remember a lot about him.

Oldguy, she did believe that he was arabic, which is why there is the confusion. Unfortunately, the misunderstandings caused me to hit a brick wall and many years went by where I was unable to look further. Recently, a cousin of mine was able to talk to someone involved in setting up the adoption and that is when I had it confirmed that he was in fact greek and owned a restaurant near Cass and Bagley.

I trust that my father was correct and my birth father is in fact deceased. I am just trying to learn a iittle about my heritage and ancestry. So, I am hoping to find out who this person may have been. I know his name was Tom, he was a large guy with pretty eyes [[I did not inherit them). My birthmother thought he spoke arabic, but more than likely it was greek. He would have been associated with AC Lindell's. He was probably also friends with my godfather, Louie Lahood and a guy name "Oke". I knew that he was responsible for causing a fire at his business and went to jail as a result. I do think he was in jail at the time of my birth, 1/1/59. So when I heard the Eastman story, I knew I have the right place. Now it is just finding the owners. I have other bits and pieces of information, which would let me know for fact if this was the right family, but I need to know who that family is in order to get any other information.

I tried to look at the archived articles from teh Free Press, but I don't have access to the DPL, because I live in CO.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
    Alexa

Alexa, Jimmy was a good guy. One of the best. You have no idea how lucky you were to have him as a guardian angel. There was a movie about him called Jimmy B and Andre. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q497JEUSkkg
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080960/

Lindell's was a very short distance from the Gaslight.

I have heard of the movie but never seen it! Thank you for the link. And you are right, I do believe he was my guardian angel!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Alexa, Jimmy was a good guy. One of the best. You have no idea how lucky you were to have him as a guardian angel. There was a movie about him called Jimmy B and Andre. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q497JEUSkkg
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080960/

Lindell's was a very short distance from the Gaslight.

I believe the original Lindell AC was in the Lindell Hotel which stood next to the Gaslight. Essentially in what is now the Gaslight's parking lot. Not sure when the move to Michigan Ave took place, but I am sure someone knows.

Alexa, you have a great story. I am sure a lot of folks will help you find what you are looking for. Thanx for sharing, I didn't want to come off as a hardass, just wanted to let you know that the more information you give, the more folks have something to work with.

JVB Guest

So what is connection with Nick's Gaslight - same family? I can't go in there for a burger without getting free shots of ouzo...

http://historicdetroit.org/workspace...eland1940s.jpg

the Lindell hotel was at 1300 Cass

Thanks Gnome! Actually, my birthmother lived inthe Lindell Hotel while she was pregnant with me, but I have never seen a picture of it.

BTW, I didn't take you as being a hard ass... just trying to help me gain interest and I appreciate that!

I don't think there is one except it being at the same locaion.
    Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    So what is connection with Nick's Gaslight - same family? I can't go in there for a burger without getting free shots of ouzo...

Spring lilies, the Gaslight and the Lindell never occupied the same space. My earlier statement that the Lindell stood on what is now Gaslight's parking lot was incorrect. I was wrong.

Judging from the photo linked above, the Lindell Hotel was on southwest corner of Cass and Bagley; across Bagley from the Leland Hotel. On that site is a parking lot for Michigan Bell [[or whatever they are called) execs.

Thanks Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Spring lilies, the Gaslight and the Lindell never occupied the same space. My earlier statement that the Lindell stood on what is now Gaslight's parking lot was incorrect. I was wrong.

Judging from the photo linked above, the Lindell Hotel was on southwest corner of Cass and Bagley; across Bagley from the Leland Hotel. On that site is a parking lot for Michigan Bell [[or whatever they are called) execs.

and if you are looking for Herbert Hund, he died in 1955 and in addition to running Hund's at 441 grand river, he also owned the Northwood inn in Berkley.
    Gnome or any other member,
    Do you happen to know who owned the place after Herbert passed away? If he owned it in 1955 and the Eastman's in 1962, the family in the middle is the family I would be looking for.
    Thank you in advance for any assistance if will be so appreciated!
    Alexa

The Lindell Hotel was at 1519 Cass across the street from the old Detroit Times building [[Cass and Bagley). The hotel did have some parking on the Bagley side of the building. The parking was between the hotel and corner of Cass & Bagley. The hotel was condemned and razed around 1964 to become a Michigan Bell parking lot. Jimmy, Johnny & Alex Karras opened the Lindell A.C. in April 1963 at [[1300, 1306, or 1310 Cass). If you look over the years the Lindell would be identified with those different addresses. I don't remember anymore what address the barber who occupied the space closer to Michigan Avenue used.

Eastman's Gaslight is a quick walk from there obviously but actually the next block over [[Grand River & Bagley)

Last edited by IrishSpartan; November-27-12 at 09:05 PM.