Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default CPA Building Becomes Focus of German Architecture Students Project

Two architecture students from Stuttgart who made an extended visit to Detroit this past summer were captivated by our city and its challenges. From their visit they adopted the CPA Building, the triangular six story structure across from Slow's and facing the MCD, as the focus of a project for their studies. They have erected the website CPA-Detroit.org do outline the project and develop interaction.

Constantin Hörburger and Jakob Rauscher where 'friends of a friend' who had helped me during an art project in Stuttgart so I was happy to have an opportunity to meet and tour a bit with them [and their artist companion Christina Schmid]. I can vouch for their sincerity and interest. I encourage any, who may wish to do so, to assist them in their effort. The letter below describes the project.

Dear Detroiters!

We need your help.

We are two architecture students from the State Academy of Art and Design in Stuttgart, Germany. We spent some research time in Detroit last summer and fell in love not only with the ruins but with you, the people of Detroit and your spirit. [that's when we met and yeah, you should pretty much all know us...]

Especially inspiring for us was the new way of life, that Detroit is developing: the growing sense of togetherness, the thinking of 'access' and the sharing of property. This way of life is more social, economical and ecological. We can learn a lot from Detroit if we stop looking at it as a failure but consider it a role model.

Because of the spirit of Detroit and the things we can learn from you we decided to finish our architecture studies with a project about your city. We suggest to create the “Commons Production Agency” - by reusing and transforming the old CPA [[Conductor's Protective Association) building on Michigan Ave. as the starting point of a new vision for Corktown and other neighborhoods of Detroit. We want to question the relation between property and access, the participation during the design process and the architectural form. We all know car sharing, but do we know 'architecture sharing'?

To answer this question we created the website www.cpa-detroit.org as a feedback and information platform. With short articles we will give your insight into our design process and the results, but more important will be your feedback, your knowledge, your comments, your critique, your questions and your suggestions. This website will grow as we and you will develop the project. We will update our process and new ideas, that are based on your feedback.

Feel welcome to explore the website and feel invited to give us your opinion and insight!

See you on www.cpa-detroit.org,

Constantin and Jakob

I've always loved that building and when the GCEDC had their offices there, it was great to see the interior. Sad that the owner [[who must be related to Maroun) allowed the building to deteriorate to the condition it is in now. The addition put on by the bank many years ago to cover the drive in window area has become such an eyesore on it's own. I would love to see something positive happen to the building. Maybe the fellows who ran Eph McNally's, Tom & Rob, could rethink opening their deli there.

I agree, it is a lovely building outside and in. It has puzzled me as to why it hasn't been grabbed. Even in its blighted condition, it is not an eyesore to me.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    It has puzzled me as to why it hasn't been grabbed.
    Is it even for sale?

Has been sort of for sale this year. Sketchy sketchy...

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...oubling-it.php

This fun presentation by Christina Schmid is a literal whirlwind tour of their Detroit visit. The CPA appears several times. Be prepared for vertigo.

This fun presentation by Christina Schmid is a literal whirlwind tour of their Detroit visit. The CPA appears several times. Be prepared for vertigo.
    All that video needs is a sound track. I'd recommend "Classical Gas" by Mason Williams. LOL!

yeah, a soundtrack could be added... but what's more important to us about the video: it's pretty much an insight of projects/places/inspirations of our stay in Detroit last summer.
    > to get back to the CPA. It is up for sale [ http://www.hscre.com/listdetails.asp...2C20%2C14%2C11 ] ...although the price might tell a different story.

however, as far as our project [ http://cpa-detroit.org ] is concerned - it's going to be more of a conceptional proposal at least for now. > trying to figure out potentials for the area and detroit.

I agree, it is a lovely building outside and in. It has puzzled me as to why it hasn't been grabbed. Even in its blighted condition, it is not an eyesore to me.
    I really like it too. I wish someone would close all the windows, though, before the elements make a total mess of it.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; November-25-12 at 06:14 PM.

I made it through 16 seconds of that video. Too much for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    yeah, a soundtrack could be added... but what's more important to us about the video: it's pretty much an insight of projects/places/inspirations of our stay in Detroit last summer....
    That's great! Welcome to the forum.

The rapid-fire style of the video immediately reminded me of "3000 Years of Art" viewable at DetroitYES Home » Detroit Connections » Fun Videos » #233. [[Hence the Classical Gas reference.)

That rare style seems to suggest that there's far more to the subject than can ever be easily or comprehensively understood. Good choice for a Detroit subject!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I made it through 16 seconds of that video. Too much for me!
    I take it you have never watched Koyaanisquatsi or Powaqqatsi?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFBijDU8PpE

Justin Bieber and Phillip Glass???? I know there was a reason I never liked Glass.... oh wait that was the ad before the video! lol

[http://cpa-detroit.org/why-we-fell-i...ith-corktown/]

It's pictures like these that absolutely kill me. So much density lost for a freeway.

I've read their website and mission statement several times and still have no idea what it is they're trying to accomplish. Are they going to shut the open windows in the CPA building or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I've read their website and mission statement several times and still have no idea what it is they're trying to accomplish. Are they going to shut the open windows in the CPA building or not?
    I see it as a school project and that they are soliciting opinions. They have no recommendations.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Yeah I didn't want to be rude but I thought the same thing. The website is incomplete, mission unclear and the video doesn't help. Are they trying to raise money to buy the building? Are they just trying to solicit ideas about what could be done with the building? I really have no idea what it is they are doing.

Default what we're about to do...

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Yeah I didn't want to be rude but I thought the same thing. The website is incomplete, mission unclear and the video doesn't help. Are they trying to raise money to buy the building? Are they just trying to solicit ideas about what could be done with the building? I really have no idea what it is they are doing.
    Hello everyone,

the website is part of our final project in architecture school - it's an ongoing process. We're still collecting ideas and opinions about the building, the neighborhood and Detroit. We have not worked out any solutions and ideas yet, but we will post them as we continue to work. The website is a work in progress that integrates your opinion and knowledge in our design process.
    It is a fictional project [[so far) but our interest is sincere. We are not asking for money but for your thoughts.

We are not asking for your help, because we do not know what to do, but because we believe in a collaborative planning and design process, that is benifical for all of us and the city of Detroit.

Yes, the mission is unclear so far.
    Yes, the website is unfinished too.
    It is your chance to become a part of it, get involved and develop ideas together with us. We would highly appreciate it!

thank you!

Constantin and Jakob
    [[authors of www.cpa-detroit.org)

Quote Originally Posted by begingri View Post

[http://cpa-detroit.org/why-we-fell-i...ith-corktown/]

It's pictures like these that absolutely kill me. So much density lost for a freeway.
    I agree that picture its crazy ! it looks so different today than it did back then .
    They pretty much killed that area just to put in I 75 ? sad .

in terms of density, this map from 1918 is also quite interesting > planning for Roosevelt Park. we found it on http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7217/7...69016eb9_o.jpg

There was a thread the other day, I forget what topic, with a link about the widening of Michigan Ave and what happened to the south side that was pretty interesting:

http://corktownhistory.blogspot.com/...an-avenue.html

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    Hello everyone,

the website is part of our final project in architecture school - it's an ongoing process. We're still collecting ideas and opinions about the building, the neighborhood and Detroit. We have not worked out any solutions and ideas yet, but we will post them as we continue to work. The website is a work in progress that integrates your opinion and knowledge in our design process.
    It is a fictional project [[so far) but our interest is sincere. We are not asking for money but for your thoughts.

We are not asking for your help, because we do not know what to do, but because we believe in a collaborative planning and design process, that is benifical for all of us and the city of Detroit.

Yes, the mission is unclear so far.
    Yes, the website is unfinished too.
    It is your chance to become a part of it, get involved and develop ideas together with us. We would highly appreciate it!

thank you!

Constantin and Jakob
    [[authors of www.cpa-detroit.org)
    Constatin and Jakob, Welcome to Detroit! Thanx for taking the time to answer my question. IF you do gain access to the CPA Building, could you please close the windows to stop further deterioration of the building? Best of luck on your project & Thanx!

It doesn't help that the owner is trying to sell the building for 1.2 mil, yet has no desire to protect the building from the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    There was a thread the other day, I forget what topic, with a link about the widening of Michigan Ave and what happened to the south side that was pretty interesting:

http://corktownhistory.blogspot.com/...an-avenue.html
    That is a fascinating write-up. Thanks for posting the link.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast