Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Community Development Corporations and Residential Security

I know that some CDCs like Palmer Woods and Indian Village have hired their own private security to add a higher law enforcement presence in their neigborhoods.

There was talk fairly recently about CDCs being allowed to assess mandatory dues [[similar to homeowner's association fees) to help fund and expand these programs. At the time, it was still going through the legislative process with the Mayor and City Council.

Any word on where we are on this? I think a handful of neighborhoods could really take off once they were getting the kind of police presence that you're getting in Midtown.

A big issue with this is that many neighborhoods are under the control of slumlords who will never kick in an extra few bucks to provide a safer environment for the renters.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    A big issue with this is that many neighborhoods are under the control of slumlords who will never kick in an extra few bucks to provide a safer environment for the renters.
    The city should enforce policy's to really set a standard. We don't do business like this here, if you disagree I will fine you. Enough is enough, I'm tired of getting under handed due to bad business and slumlords, giving then access to come into our city at will to do whatever. We need to adjust some things lawfully.. Time for change. This can happen "corktownyuppie", if the community come together anythings possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    The city should enforce policy's to really set a standard. We don't do business like this here, if you disagree I will fine you. Enough is enough, I'm tired of getting under handed due to bad business and slumlords, giving then access to come into our city at will to do whatever. We need to adjust some things lawfully.. Time for change. This can happen "corktownyuppie", if the community come together anythings possible.
    So what your suggesting is I move to Detroit, pay a high City tax for mediocre services, then be forced to pay an additional association fee for the services I should be getting in the first place. Sounds inviting.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    The law would permit such associations to be formed. It will require a majority of the property owners in a designated area to form such a "security association". If the slumlords, criminals, and apathetic in an area constitute the majority, you can be just as "tired" as you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    I know that some CDCs like Palmer Woods and Indian Village have hired their own private security to add a higher law enforcement presence in their neigborhoods.

There was talk fairly recently about CDCs being allowed to assess mandatory dues [[similar to homeowner's association fees) to help fund and expand these programs. At the time, it was still going through the legislative process with the Mayor and City Council.

Any word on where we are on this? I think a handful of neighborhoods could really take off once they were getting the kind of police presence that you're getting in Midtown.
    Neither Palmer Woods nor Indian village are CDC's, they are voluntary neighborhood associations. At this time I doubt It would be very productive for the city to provide the services that the neighborhoods are already providing. I think forcing the tax is the wrong way to increase service. I would rather instate a voucher for a percentage of the existing levied mills to go to the neighborhoods in which they are paying.

I think even the slumlords work really hard just break even sometimes. This is a ramification of a way larger problem in our entire system. I think you may be perceiving it incorrectly--I did at one time. Nobody is getting rich off of rental property in Detroit.

For the City to admit that they do not provide an adequate level of funding for public safety would be remarkable. They will never put together policies to force a neighborhood to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    For the City to admit that they do not provide an adequate level of funding for public safety would be remarkable. They will never put together policies to force a neighborhood to do this.
    No doubt. But it is inadequate and so is the tax base.
    Last edited by Strathcona; November-25-12 at 09:24 AM.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Strathcona View Post
    Nobody is getting rich off of rental property in Detroit.
    I don't think many people realize this. I've looked into buying a rental property in Detroit several times, and every time I'm chased away by ridiculously high property taxes. I don't know how anybody makes it work to be honest. I think we'd see neighborhoods start to recover if property taxes were lowered. There is just no way to justify higher tax rates for far fewer services and expect people to choose the city over suburbs. That formula obviously doesn't work.