Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Billy Mays goes "Kaboom"

Billy Mays is dead at 50...

From CNN.com:

The 50-year-old known for his shouting OxiClean ads was pronounced dead at 7:45 a.m. The Hillsborough County medical examiner will perform an autopsy, Tampa police Lt. Brian Dugan said.
    Mays was on the US Airways flight from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to Tampa on Saturday that had a hard landing at Tampa International Airport when the plane's front tire blew out. There were no reported injuries on Flight 1241, US Airways told CNN.
    According to a local Tampa TV station, Mays said: "All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping. It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."
    Airline spokesman Jim Olson told CNN Sunday there were no reported passenger injuries from flight 1241. The airline vowed to "cooperate fully" with authorities in the investigation.

"We were very sad to learn of Billy Mays' passing and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family," Olson said. Tampa officials say the Medical Examiner's Office expects to complete an autopsy by Monday afternoon. In a statement, Deborah Mays said that although "Billy lived a public life," the family does not plan immediate public statements about his death.
    Mays was a spokesman for Orange Glo and detergent OxiClean and appeared in commercials for other products.

He is featured on the reality TV show ''Pitchmen'' on the Discovery Channel, which follows pitch people in their jobs.

"It is with incredible sadness that we have to report that Billy Mays died in his sleep last night," said a statement from the Discovery Channel. "Everyone that knows him was aware of his larger-than-life personality, generosity and warmth. Billy was a pioneer in his field and helped many people fulfill their dreams. He will be greatly missed as a loyal and compassionate friend. Our deepest sympathies go out to his family at this time of incredible loss."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...ath/index.html

These "celebrities" are dropping like flies.

Waiting for the media to preempt all news coverage from their 24-hour news cycle like they did with Anna Nicole Smith and Michael Jackson.

ccbatson Guest

Is he a celebrity?

Is he a celebrity?

As far as I'm concerned he was. Half these actors and actresses nowadays, I've never even heard of them. And the half I have heard of got famous by staging a fight and getting arrested or wearing a short dress and flashing their junk at the cameras. Pathetic. Yes he was a celebrity.

I liked him, he was a bit of cornball, but there was something genuine about him. RIP

ccbatson Guest

where is the line on celebrity drawn then?

Bearinabox Guest

I have never heard of this person.

It will be safe to watch TV again.

ccbatson Guest

Ron Popeil might come out of retirement to replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    I have never heard of this person.
    you must not watch infomercials !
    RIP

Lorax Guest

I can look forward to no more shouting from the TV.

Sad for his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I can look forward to no more shouting from the TV.

Sad for his family.
    You've still got the Shamwow guy.

Lorax Guest

I know, I know

"cause' ya know, we can't keep doin' this all day!"

Quote Originally Posted by lorax View Post
    i know, i know

"cause' ya know, we can't keep doin' this all day!"
    rotflmao!!

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Ron Popeil might come out of retirement to replace him.
    Makes a great Christmas gift!

Billy Mays sound board! Minutes of immature fun!
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/billymays

I have a weakness for infomercials, I think I like the inyourface hucksterismness; the promise to "pick your pocket" while you watch impossiblity. Everytime that Klee guy promises to cleanse my colon at 3am, or Ron Popiel let's me to set it and forget it, I have to doff my hat. Although I must add, I've never bought anything from the as seen it on tv set.

Billy Mays was a master at his craft. RIP

Now we just need to get rid of the person who does the Head On commmercials....

The Shamwow guy still has a job?

I thought that they fired him months ago because of this?

Just caught a breaker that actress Gale Storm died at 87. I remember her series "My Little Margie" well from the early fifties. Fun show.

They're droppin' like flies...................

Just watched Billy Mays and Anthony Sullivan on Conan last week. Funny segment. RIP

I'm afraid that Patrick Swayze may join those we've lost in the not too distant future, although I'm hoping that reports that he is favorably responding to treatment for his pancreatic cancer are true. I loved him in Dirty Dancing, Ghost and The Beast.

It sounds like Billy Mays may have died from the same thing that took Natasha Richardson....he got a major bump to his head, took little notice of it, then died in his sleep. An autopsy should give the definitive answer,whether it was a subdural hematoma or not, but thats what I think happened. All I know is, if I bump my head from now on I am getting my a$$ to a hospital right away!
    I always enjoyed his energy! His frenetic-ness and onscreen vitality reminded me alot of the Crocodile Hunter, who also went suddenly and unexpectedly...

Quote Originally Posted by LEOQUEEN View Post
    All I know is, if I bump my head from now on I am getting my a$$ to a hospital right away!
    Yeah, no kidding!

He was the best at what he did. I had been watching the show "Pitchmen" on Discovery Channel about him and Anthony Sullivan. We all laugh at those silly commercials, yet he could sell millions and millions of dollars worth of that crap just because of his talent. Obviously some of us decided to "Call Now!"

So is there anyone out there who has bought NOTHING he advertised?

I've heard he was a nice and generous person.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast