Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Cass and Bagley

Default Cass and Bagley

I am trying to find out information regarding a greek restaurant or possibly a after hours club that existed on Cass and Bagley in the late 1950s. It was owned by a man named Tom and Della Reese alledgedly played there. Unfortunately, this is all I know, but I am hoping it will jog someone's memory.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Springlilies

There was a ballroom where the City Club is today

Do you kmow the year it was there or the name?

Thanks!

The Detroit City Directories my be helpful. Most are online or if you live in or near Detroit you can find them in the Burton Collection on the first floor at the main library.

^^^ That's my suggestion too! Welcome to DYes Springlillies!!

Thank you for your responses. Unfortunately, I am in Colorado, so do not have access to the main licrary. I did look at Nick's Gaslight. This would be too new. Manta has it as 26 years old, I am looking for one older. If this triggers any information though, I will greatly love to hear it. Thank you again! Springlilies

Nicks Gaslight is an ancient place. It was probably there when Henry Ford drove his qaudracycle down the street!

Thank you very much! This place does fit with the information that I have. Now, if I could just find a history of the owners. Any suggestions???

You guys are awesome! I did lean that this is in fact the place. It was, alledgedly, burned down by the owner's and the owner's went to jail as a result. Does anyone have any insight into this or know who the owner's may be? Again, thank you SO much!!!!

Nick's is large enough to have bands or shows. Check google.

Did you say it burned down? Was this in the 1950's too?

From what I understand, the owner's [[around 1959) caused a fire and were jailed as a result. It may have set unoccupied for a little while before the Eastman's bought it. I would be interested in the owner's who caused the fire. I have searched all through google, but unfortunately records do not go back to this time. Since I am not a resident of Detroit I cannot look through the libraries online information. Anything you may know will be so helpful! Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Did this place ever go by the name "Topinka's", or am i thinking of somewhere else? I know there used to be a Topinka's Country House @ 7 mile & Telegraph, but I thought they had one Downtown too. Thanx.

old guy, this is in fact the place. In one thread, it talks about the Eastman's burning it down to collect insurance money and a couple of family members going to jail. If I am not mistaken, the Eastman's did not own the place until 1962. This took place in 1959. I am trying to find out who this was/ Thank you in advance!!!

Honky Tonk: I will see what I can find out about the Topinka's. Thank you!

Topinka's was on West Grand Blvd.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    Topinka's was on West Grand Blvd.
    Thanx Hornwrecker.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    This is it; however I am looking for owners in 1959. I believe the Eastman's may have bought it later, but I am not sure. Thank you again

Quote Originally Posted by springlilies View Post
    This is it; however I am looking for owners in 1959. I believe the Eastman's may have bought it later, but I am not sure. Thank you again
    There are some people on this forum that will eventually show up that can probably tell you who owned it from the beginning, when it burned, and what materials it was built with. They're good.

The Ramada there is one big after hours still to this day.

It should be relatively easy [[null that this is Detroit) to trace back records at city hall. I live in Detroit and have a 2nd home in Traverse City. i dont have any experience with Detroit but when I bought my house in TC it was relatively easy searching property history on pretty much any property I needed. I would start with the ownership and then revert back to google to find family. Thats all given it's that important naturally. If push came to shove you could really find what you needed.

Here is a link to an court appeal on a dramshop lawsuit filed against Beverly and Wilfred Eastman.
    http://mi.findacase.com/research/wfr...0016.MI.htm/qx

Wilfred's obit, seems the Gaslight was a sideline business:
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=7076,4607661

Thank you gnome!

MjvDet: Great suggesttion, but I cannot find where I can seach properties by address. Do you happen to have a link? Thsnk you!