Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Street survey images of Grosse Pointe Farms 1910's and 1920's.

With the sale of land for commercial farming in Detroit about to happen I thought I would post these images of Grosse Pointe Farms as the city changed from a farming community to a suburb. The images are from the Ignastius Backman Collection at the Grosse Pointe Historical Society.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                            

More from the Backman Collection.

The last images from the Backman Collection.

Awesome photos!!! Very interesting to visualize what is on some of these intersections or streets today!!

Thanks for posting.

serpico Guest

great pictures...I love them

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Awesome photos!!! Very interesting to visualize what is on some of these intersections or streets today!!

Thanks for posting.
    Yup, I think I'll do a little fooling around tonight with Google street view!!!!

This is a nice treat. It's interesting to see how Lakeshore Drive is paved in asphalt for the most part on these pictures.

Thanks for the cool pics p69!!!

It's fascinating to see how the Shore Line Interurban railway went along Jefferson, and then made the bend up Fisher Rd. [[always wondered how it did that, since Fisher isn't all that wide)... and there we see the tall back walls of some of the homes on the next block that didn't want to hear the trolley sounds. Those same back lot walls are still there today... although in a sorry state of repair.

So the Shore Line Interurban took a bend onto Grosse Pointe Blvd [[which helps explain why it's so wide) all the way to Provencal, and then back down to Lakeshore Dr. I guess we have the Shore Line Interurban to thank for their waterfront "right of way" that gives Lakeshore Dr. such a wonderful landscaped lake frontage.

Was the Oxford St. & Lakeshore Dr. brick shelter a remnant of the Interurban... or was it built later?

Also, did Cloverly become a narrow boulevard so that the 2 rows of trees could both be saved? One in the middle of the island, the other along one side of the roadway?
    Last edited by Gistok; November-21-12 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks for the cool pics p69!!!

It's fascinating to see how the Shore Line Interurban railway went along Jefferson, and then made the bend up Fisher Rd. [[always wondered how it did that, since Fisher isn't all that wide)... and there we see the tall back walls of some of the homes on the next block that didn't want to hear the trolley sounds. Those same back lot walls are still there today... although in a sorry state of repair.

So the Shore Line Interurban took a bend onto Grosse Pointe Blvd [[which helps explain why it's so wide) all the way to Provencal, and then back down to Lakeshore Dr. I guess we have the Shore Line Interurban to thank for their waterfront "right of way" that gives Lakeshore Dr. such a wonderful landscaped lake frontage.

Was the Oxford St. & Lakeshore Dr. brick shelter a remnant of the Interurban... or was it built later?

Also, did Cloverly become a narrow boulevard so that the 2 rows of trees could both be saved? One in the middle of the island, the other along one side of the roadway?
    The tracks for the most part are still there about a foot or so below the street. Every so often the rails at GP Blvd. and Fisher will make on appearance only to be quickly covered up.

I liked all the old heavy machinery. You don't see too many bulldozers anymore but boy could they apply brute force! And steam shovels! What happened to them?

This prompted me to refresh a fading memory.

Roadway hazard lights today are battery powered. Before that they used kerosene torches called "smudge pots" or "Toledo Torches." Here's a video of one: Sig-nal-ite Kerosene Torch by Toledo Pressed Steel Co. U.S.A. They always reminded me of the stereotypical bombs shown in 1960s cartoons.

Wow.....superb.

Very cool pictures. Thanks!

Yes, wonderful photos, thanks.

Any shots you might have of Cook road between Mack and Lake Shore would also be wonderful to see.

Thanks,

While not a street image I thought there would be a few who like the would like where this airplane ended up landing. The images were first published in an issue of The Moorings a publication of the Grosse Pointe Historical Society.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    While not a street image I thought there would be a few who like the would like where this airplane ended up landing. The images were first published in an issue of The Moorings a publication of the Grosse Pointe Historical Society.
    p69... is the D. M. Ferry house the one at Kirby and Lakeshore? Or is that D.M. Ferry Jr.? One of my friend's late mother used to work for Ferry-Morse, and dated DM Jr. Her sister was a mid-level manager with the company, and moved when Ferry-Morse moved to Paducah KY back in the 60s [[or thereabouts).

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    p69... is the D. M. Ferry house the one at Kirby and Lakeshore? Or is that D.M. Ferry Jr.? One of my friend's late mother used to work for Ferry-Morse, and dated DM Jr. Her sister was a mid-level manager with the company, and moved when Ferry-Morse moved to Paducah KY back in the 60s [[or thereabouts).
    Its the Ferry mansion that was on East Jefferson between Stratford Place and Wellington Place.

Amazing that the same style utility poles are still being put up, 100 years later. I guess there's nothing more practical.

So the Shore Line Interurban took a bend onto Grosse Pointe Blvd all the way to Provencal, and then back down to Lakeshore Dr.
    That's the same route the old Jefferson Beach bus used to take.