Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Governor Snyder has a secret political fund.

This is certainly interesting.

I can't blame him for using other folks money for travel, home improvements and furniture.

I'm trying to find my own place, and shit is expensive! A decent used pool table alone runs north of $500!

PS. Charles Pugh got absolutely MURDERED on this site for pulling this exact stunt. I don't foresee Dick Snydely getting that treatment.

I'm trying to find my own place, and shit is expensive! A decent used pool table alone runs north of $500!

We're talking slate, right? Keep watching Craigslist, people give them away from time to time.

PS. Charles Pugh got absolutely MURDERED on this site for pulling this exact stunt. I don't foresee Dick Snydely getting that treatment.

I agree, let's see Snyder's abs!

Seriously no one gives you money to use as you see fit for free.

He's not answering any questions about it either. How is he any different than anyone else? Doesn't pass the smell test to me. I bet he gets off too. I never like that guy from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    He's not answering any questions about it either. How is he any different than anyone else? Doesn't pass the smell test to me. I bet he gets off too. I never like that guy from day one.
    Yea, but he's not one of those loud mouth Detroiters that can't get over it and resorting to throwing grapes at council meetings. No big deal. Let us know when the feds have caught another Detroit councilperson engaging in shady activity. Those are the scum that should be thrown under the jail.

I'd like to give a special shout out to the two fucking terrible rags we call newspapers around here.

ZERO mention of this story.

How is something a secret if everyone knows about it? It is registered and operates within legal requirements, how is that secret? No indication it uses public funds. No indication of bribery, pay-to-play or payola ...the secret fund?

Sounds like somebody doesn't know a secret when they don't see one.

It was reported that it's possible it's being used illegally. It has not been reported it was used within legal requirements. He refuses to answer any questions relating to it. If it's legit, then what's to hide? That's what's being investigated.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-22-12 at 02:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Yea, but he's not one of those loud mouth Detroiters that can't get over it and resorting to throwing grapes at council meetings. No big deal. Let us know when the feds have caught another Detroit councilperson engaging in shady activity. Those are the scum that should be thrown under the jail.
    Why are you comparing this to Detroit's fiasco? That situation is hopeless, still doesn't justify what Snyder did if it's true. Crime is crime, just ask Judge Hathaway.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; November-22-12 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Why are you comparing this to Detroit's fiasco? That situation is hopeless, still doesn't justify what Snyder did if it's true. Crime is crime, just ask Judge Hathaway.
    I was being sarcastic, while highlighting the fact that no one cares what our non-Detroit politicians do [[legal or illegal).

Total transparency is appropriate. So go change the law.

I'm in favor of transparency. I also understand that these requests are often politically motivated attempts to find 'dirt'. Does anyone really believe the goal here is to keep Snyder squeaky clean?

So the NERD campaign responded by inviting a reporter to their conference call. Some secret fund. "
    Following last night's 7 Action News Investigation, reporter Ross Jones was invited by the NERD Fund's board of directors to participate in their quarterly conference call, which took place this morning.

Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/governo...#ixzz2htO1tJKv"

I think it's great the Board invited him but didn't reveal the names. It almost seems the reporter, Ross Jones, is more upset he didn't get his way and is just acting unprofessionally.

Just because you ask for something, or threaten to do a story on it, doesn't mean you have the right of way. Or should be privy to any more information than is required by law.

If the IRS doesn't require the names to disclosed - I would argue it's a reflection of the lack of intelligence/cockiness of the reporter on why he thinks the Board would choose to disclose those names to him and no one else.

No story here... move on.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I thought we got mad at Charles Pugh for possibly abusing a position of power in a young man's life? Seriously, I was mad because he disappeared from town when someone suggested he had an inappropriate relationship with someone he was mentoring. Also for the inappropriate relationship thing.

And this isn't a TOP SECRET FUND. As mentioned, its a publicly known entity. Whether it's being used properly or not, that is a valid question. Quit posting threads with headlines that read like a crappy addictinginfo or blazereport click-bait headline. You're just as disingenuous as those who don't report on it.

How about the guy who is Snyder's top advisor who isn't a State employee, yet has a State email address, and gets paid from the NERD fund?

This is a very dangerous precedent going on here. If allowed to continue, this will further strip power from the people and give it to Capitalist Pig Dogs behind not for profits. Abuse, if not already occurring, is just waiting to happen.

Why do people put up with this shit and call it the best sandwich they've ever had?

Are we that fucking desperate in this town?

For fucking crying out loud -- well then let's just all roll over and get it over with. The anticipation of the inevitable is just a time waster and a money suck.

I'd like to give a special shout out to the two fucking terrible rags we call newspapers around here.
    ZERO mention of this story.
    Free Press in May:
    http://www.freep.com/article/20130524/COL43/305240008/

Front page of the News, last week:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ates-NERD-fund

Are you talking about this *specific* story? 'Cause newspapers don't usually report on what the TV stations are reporting on.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I thought we got mad at Charles Pugh for possibly abusing a position of power in a young man's life? Seriously, I was mad because he disappeared from town when someone suggested he had an inappropriate relationship with someone he was mentoring. Also for the inappropriate relationship thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Free Press in May:
    http://www.freep.com/article/20130524/COL43/305240008/

Front page of the News, last week:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ates-NERD-fund

Are you talking about this *specific* story? 'Cause newspapers don't usually report on what the TV stations are reporting on.
    November-21-12, 09:25 AM

He preaches Gov't transparacy. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. All you see regarding this is efforts to dodge what doesn't need to be a secret. Probably his union busting corporate friends supply all his needs. Either way it's bull!

November-21-12, 09:25 AM
    Cool, you didn't answer my question. Who was mad at Charles Pugh for having a sketchy PAC/Super PAC that he used to fund questionable ventures for questionable people? You're just bringing up people to argle bargle more. The NERD fund is all types of not-cool with me, but at least represent it accurately so that when your opponents challenge you on your stance, you're prepared to defend and got your stuff in order.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    He preaches Gov't transparacy. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. All you see regarding this is efforts to dodge what doesn't need to be a secret. Probably his union busting corporate friends supply all his needs. Either way it's bull!
    I agree on transparency, but let's also realize that this isn't a partisan / union-busting thing. Note that Obama is getting pretty bad press for his full-court press against the press. [[press, press, press....!)

I appreciate the thoughtful discussion.

We did this story a year ago. The day after it aired, I was invited to listen in on the NERD board's conference call. This was described to me as a step towards openness about the fund and a chance to learn more about how it operates. The call lasted 5 minutes, no new information was shared and I was simply assured that everything was above board. It may very well be.

But as we have seen so often lately, elected officials and secret funds usually don't mix very well, even when the intentions are good. Non-profits just like this one have been used in ways to subvert open records laws, conceal donations meant to curry favor and pay for swanky vacations and gifts that violate law.

Along with colleague Steve Wilson, I did stories on Kwame Kilpatrick's use of his Civic Fund long before most other news organizations knew its name, and years before the feds ever indicted the mayor over his misuse of the fund. We did the same with Bob Ficano, revealing that businesses seeking county contracts paid for his and other officials’ overseas travel, and gave Turkia Mullin $150,000 in secret bonuses. And we reported on Charles Pugh’s non-profit , too, which he dissolved weeks later.

We’re holding the Governor to the same standard that we’ve used with other elected officials, and anyone else who’s decided to create a fund like this that operates largely in secret. But more importantly: we’re holding the Governor to his standard. He has championed “accountability and transparency” in government more than most.

Since our first report 12 months ago, other news organizations have decided to look at the fund. The Detroit Free Press has done a couple of reports…The Detroit News did, too. With each one, the Governor's press office has issued a statement saying, more or less, that change is coming. Maybe it will, but it hasn't so far.

In the mean time, we will continue to report on the fund as best we can... holding the Governor to the high standard of transparency that he set long ago.

Ross Jones/WXYZ-TV
    rjones@wxyz.com
    Last edited by Ross Jones WXYZ; October-18-13 at 09:38 AM.

Rich Baird, the main guy sucking teet off the NERD fund is now an official state employee.

I guess no more claiming his emails are not FOIA-able for him?

It's still my personal belief that Gov Snyder perjured himself last week.

I don't think this story has played itself out yet.

That may seem like an unfair double standard to you, but the fact is, Pugh hasn't done squat as an elected official. Snyder has been the best thing to happen for the state's finances during my lifetime. So yeah, if you're good at your job, you're allowed to get away with a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    So yeah, if you're good at your job, you're allowed to get away with a few things.
    A prime example of the mindset that has driven this area into the ground for so many, many years.

seen lots of politicians use 3rd party emails to avoid having their emails foia'd.

sarah palin had that yahoo account that got hacked.
    the gop has its own giant email server.
    obama has a gigantic amount of volunteers and election donations that fund non profits.

if you think you're seeing all emails, communications, gifts , etc from an elected official, you are sorely mistaken.

why was snyder trying to hide his emails? delaying? he knows the foia will win.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast