Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Detroit City Council set to vote on biggest land sale in city's history

This article talks about a vote on Tuesday... did they screw this up too?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    This article talks about a vote on Tuesday... did they screw this up too?
    It's a huge amount of land, 2.5 square miles.

I just hope the council lets hantz farms put it to good use.

They will manage to f**k it up!

1,600 contiguous parcels for 520k?

Doesn't that sound a little low, even for the East Side of Detroit? That's like $300 a parcel.

I mean, there are regular folks on DYes who could buy 2.5 contiguous square miles? That's practically what we're talking about.

170 acres is not 2.5 square miles. I would assume that the City owned camp in Brighton or DeHoCo sales were larger.

Quote Originally Posted by Artistic View Post
    Councilwoman Joann Watson said she was concerned that the sale at an average of 8 cents per square foot might be below market value and a violation of the city charter.

You know, at this point I'm convinced that everything, including WATCHING PAINT DRY, is a violation of the city charter.

You know what ISN'T a violation of the charter? Bankruptcy. Thank God for that.

The land will still be there a month from now. It's not that big of a deal.

As far as I am concerned any deal where you can get this property back on the tax rolls is a good deal. What kind of burden do crops and trees have on the police, fire, sanitation and school systems? Close to nill I am willing to bet. More revenue without increased costs is a good thing.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; November-21-12 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    As far as I am concerned any deal where you can get this property back on the tax rolls is a good deal. What kind of burden to crops and trees have on the police, fire, sanitation and school systems? Close to nill I am willing to bet. More revenue without increased costs is a good thing.
    +1! This was exactly my thought.

I must admit I don't know the particulars of the details. Some people think Hantz is getting a sweetheart deal. If in fact he is paying $300 a parcel and that is cheaper than normal, he is probably getting that price because he is buying bulk in a dead zone where no one would even dream of investing. I suspect the real reason why this project isn't going forward though is because he is white. The idea of a white person owning a large farm in Detroit for some reason alludes to the antebellum South to the grape throwing masses.

Seems rather ironic that we have members of the City Council, such as Pugh and Kenyatta, who can't even manage their own personal finances, making financial decisions for others. Where was the scrutiny at when some of Bobby Ferguson's contracts were on their table?

Shollin Guest

For a forum that promotes urban density you would think more people would be opposed to a farm opening up within the city. Of course the mantra is if city council opposes it, it must be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    For a forum that promotes urban density you would think more people would be opposed to a farm opening up within the city. Of course the mantra is if city council opposes it, it must be good.
    What would you do with it? Besides a handful of people living on that plot of land, NO ONE in decades has made a move to populate it, or do anything with it. Outside of the newly resurected "Midtown", everything in this area is going bust and belly-up. No cops, No DFD, No streetlights, where's the draw?

Of course the mantra is if city council opposes it, it must be good.
    It's true: a broken clock IS right twice per day, after all.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    What would you do with it? Besides a handful of people living on that plot of land, NO ONE in decades has made a move to populate it, or do anything with it. Outside of the newly resurected "Midtown", everything in this area is going bust and belly-up. No cops, No DFD, No streetlights, where's the draw?
    Why does it have to be developed? Let it turn back to nature. make it a park. Is a farm really going to make the area more attractive? People would just steal the crops and livestock.

People would just steal the crops and livestock.
    Ok, I see your point, and you're right. This is the problem I had with the rosy picture Mr. Vineyard was painting of plowing up land on Belle Isle. If you just leave fruit trees standing there, people will not only "take" fruit, but you're leaving it wide open to vandalization. So you're going to have to secure the area somehow. You're also going to need buildings for equipment and employees. On the flip side, Detroit is pretty cash strapped, so maybe an orchard in conjunction with some kind of learn to work program to generate revenue might NOT be such a bad idea. I even support the vineyard, I just don't want it on Belle Isle. Let Belle Isle become the nature center.

Shollin Guest

I don't care one way or the other, but I don't see this as a big deal. How much tax revenue can you really generate if in fact the land is being sold at $300 a parcel? Is a farm also going to spur development around it? It's an interesting idea and it would be neat if they created a farmers market attached to the farm and maybe some sort of restuarant using the fresh produce. I haven't seen many plans on this farm but when in doubt, blame city council.

Why does it have to be developed? Let it turn back to nature. make it a park. Is a farm really going to make the area more attractive? People would just steal the crops and livestock.
    Since you're still a relative newbie on this forum... perhaps this initiative from DYes forum member CUB [[called Georgia Street Community Garden) will show that while cars and household items get scrappers and thieves attention, gardening seems to get little or no attention among thieves....

http://georgiastreetgarden.blogspot.com/

This is just about as big of a deal as a handful of people working in a building somewhere developing software. Not a big revenue generator, but it is a start in the right direction, that's all.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; November-21-12 at 11:30 AM.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Since you're still a relative newbie on this forum... perhaps this initiative from DYes forum member CUB [[called Georgia Street Community Garden) will show that while cars and household items get scrappers and thieves attention, gardening seems to get little or no attention among thieves....

http://georgiastreetgarden.blogspot.com/
    My aunt lives at Warren and Chalmers and has annexed some vacant lots for her garden and ocassionally finds plants missing along with statues and even a small bench she put there. I have to imagine if you have a large scale, 170 acre farm, people will be stealing. They will need to install some sort of security. Most likely this farm will have some sort of fence and look rather ugly from the outside. Most likely peaking over the fence will be some industrial steal built barn.

My aunt lives at Warren and Chalmers and has annexed some vacant lots for her garden and ocassionally finds plants missing along with statues and even a small bench she put there. I have to imagine if you have a large scale, 170 acre farm, people will be stealing. They will need to install some sort of security. Most likely this farm will have some sort of fence and look rather ugly from the outside. Most likely peaking over the fence will be some industrial steal built barn.
    You are right on all accounts, and yes there will be. But that's part of doing business. What's the difference between that and some factory stamping out parts? The necessary security fencing, or any of the proposed orchard doesn't have to look hideous, though. Look @ some of the more modern structures, the UAW Training Center for example. It's fenced, not bad looking.

No one is using that land for over 40 years. Let's put into good use. Urban farming to produce fruits and vegetables for the poor is a great ideal. It worked for Mayor Hazen Pingree when he gave potatoes and show them how to farm so that they can have more potatoes for life.
    Last edited by Danny; November-21-12 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    1,600 contiguous parcels for 520k?

Doesn't that sound a little low, even for the East Side of Detroit?
    No, it doesn't sound low. I don't know if you've noticed, but the city has a bunch of land that NOBODY wants.

This objection reminds me of Pontiac effing up its chance to sell the Silverdome; Detroit will probably screw this up, too.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You are right on all accounts, and yes there will be. But that's part of doing business. What's the difference between that and some factory stamping out parts? The necessary security fencing, or any of the proposed orchard doesn't have to look hideous, though. Look @ some of the more modern structures, the UAW Training Center for example. It's fenced, not bad looking.
    I agree there is no difference between a farm and a factory. I would rather have a factory that would at least employee a couple hundred people at livable wages, however factories are taboo around these parts now.

Note in the Crain's article that city council's resident genius, Joann Watson, is worried the purchaser would buy up all this property and then sit on it until it increases in value.

1) That has already happened all over the city

2) The chances of me winning the powerball are higher than this land having an increased value in the next 20 years.

2) There's this little thing called "zoning" that coul require the land to be used for agriculture so it would have no value for doing anything else.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast