Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

serpico Guest

Default Made in River Rouge.. yet more expensive here than in Chicago....

$5.19 for sheetrock in Chicago at Home Depot..
    $8.68 in Allen Park....

The entire Detrot Metro Area is more expensive than Chicago for building materials... why??

serpico Guest

Same sheetrock is still less expensive in Manhattan......

I don't really know, but it may have something to do with Chicago's position as a major rail hub as that is the way that most lumber travels.

I'm going to need more solid evidence before I'll buy into this conspiracy theory

Surprising the wallboard in Chicago comes from so far away when National Gypsum and USG have large wallboard operations in the north and south suburbs of Chicago.

serpico Guest

go to: http://www.homedepot.com/
    put in your location and compare prices... compare framing lumber prices and drywall prices of metro Detroit to all other locations.. Chicago, New York, Memphis, Atlanta.....

The brand Sheetrock carried by Home Depot is manufactured locally near Port of Chi. It's not going very far to the stores.

Could also be that supply has ramped for increasing construction activity in these metros.
    Last edited by wolverine; November-20-12 at 09:25 PM.

serpico Guest

and River Rouge is Kosher too... per the Chicago Rabbinical Council....

http://www.usg.com/rc/certificate-of...iver-rouge.pdf

I wonder if a St Anthony medal could help one find the cheapest wallboard on the market. God bless kosher gypsum.

Kosher Wallboard?

Talk about observant!

I am not Jewish. This seems very odd to me. Can someone explain this?

Possibly the market for wallboard is more competitive in Chicago, leading to the lower cost?

Shollin Guest

With all the Buffalo Wild Wings and 7-11's opening in Detroit, there's probably a shortage of building materials to renovate these places.

Whatever you do, don't buy it if it's made in China.