Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where to purchase a Christmas Tree in Detroit

I know there are many sellers in Eastern Market, but I was wondering if any community groups or churches sell Christmas Trees? I know the nearby church in the suburb I grew up in sold them as a fundraiser, and I'd rather buy from a group that is going to reinvest that money back into the community.

So, in general, where do Detroiters buy their Christmas trees? Eastern Market? Suburbs? Tree farms further out? Future Hantz farm?

Below is a typical Christmas tree store in the city of Detroit, located conveniently between either a still-occupied home or a burnt-out home. [[Sorry if I stretched the page to post it)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Eastern Market.

My brother and his friends used to cut them down at the Rouge Park Nursery! Too bad that is long gone.

Allemon's has Christmas trees. I doubt many Detroiters go all the way out to tree farms. Eastern Market is a safe bet, I have long gone there.

On Noel Night, in front of Old Main at Wayne State. Son of a Bliss trees, always has a great selection.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Allemon's has Christmas trees. I doubt many Detroiters go all the way out to tree farms. Eastern Market is a safe bet, I have long gone there.
    Even though Allemon's is in Detroit [[just)... unfortunately they have Grosse Pointe prices...

For 15 years I used to buy my trees from the [[closed in winter) former Dairy Queen lot at E. Warren & Marseilles. When they closed... I went out and bought an artificial one...

I'm no environmentalist or tree-hugger, but I always thought that was a waste of a tree. If you have kids I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do, but it would just be cheaper to get one of those fake ones that are probably made in
    China and re-use it every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    I'm no environmentalist or tree-hugger, but I always thought that was a waste of a tree. If you have kids I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do, but it would just be cheaper to get one of those fake ones that are probably made in China and re-use it every year.
    It would also be cheaper to feed your kids bulk processed crap than it would be to serve them whole foods. Just because something is cheaper does not make it better. A tree grown was most likely produced nearby and provides jobs to people who will spend money nearby. A fake one does not have the same smell as a real one. And as far as environment is concerned the real one can be used for fuel or bird habitat then allowed to decompose to its natural state once it is used. It won't need to be shipped from China, which takes a lot of petroleum based energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Brains View Post
    I'm no environmentalist or tree-hugger, but I always thought that was a waste of a tree. If you have kids I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do, but it would just be cheaper to get one of those fake ones that are probably made in
    China and re-use it every year.
    That's what they did in Birmingham this year and several of the residents are most unhappy. It's really beautiful, but it's China-artificial, and that's a bad combination for many traditionalists out there.

If you buy your tree from a charitable organization, like a local church or scout troop, you can deduct your purchase off your taxes. Pay by check and get a receipt.

the michigan christmas tree growers association is a great source for information
    http://www.mcta.org/

the tree growers should be viewed like a farmer who grows corn or any other consumer product. If you eat food, you can have a live tree.

A regular Xmas tree takes 7 years to grow. That's 7 years of absorbing carbon and adding oxygen.

Shrine in Royal Oak usually sells trees. Can't think of any Detroit churches off hand

I think it's called Dearborn Congregational Church. They're located on Rotunda between Greenfield & Southfield, right near the TPC golf club. They sell trees starting on Friday through Christmas Eve. While not in the city, it's close to it. There's also a guy who sets up a small tree lot on the corner of Mt. Elliott & the I-94 service drive right next to the gasoline station on the SE corner. I saw they have the trees piled up there already when I was driving to work this morning. I think that money goes to a church too.

once you pick your tree, most places will give you a fresh cut on the end to encourage the tree to absorb water. I suggest you keep that little tree trunk stub, take it home and have the kiddies decorate it. if you do it every year, you'll find yourself the proud owner of a collection of strangely decorated stubs. If Xmas is about anything, it is about tradition, and collecting the stumps can become a new tradition in your family.

it works best if you have little ones, as their decorating tastes show a tremendous change throughout the years.

Not sure who's doing it but there is a sign for Christmas trees on Joy Rd between Greenview and Evergreen on the north side of Joy. No trees yet but the sign is there.

I was thinking the other day of opening christmass tree lot, but I remember a few years ago one of our tenants tried doing it and we had the trees on his lot for months after christmass was over before he could get someone over to chop them all up.

I would think alot of homes on a tight budget might now put up a tree this year to save money.

How about the Home Depot on 7 Mile?

There is a guy selling trees on Wyoming @ at the Lodge, NW corner, acrss the street from where the Packard Dealership used to be.