Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default My New Novel about Detroit in the 60s

I've been reading posts in this forum for quite a while, but am just posting today for the first time. I admire the interest and passion and grit in evidence in this forum. I grew up in Detroit, but work and family took me to Chicago about 25 years ago. In reflecting about the city as I wrote and researched my novel, I settled on Rodin's Thinker, in front of the DIA, as the operative symbol, trying to puzzle out exactly what had happened.

My novel, Grand River and Joy, published by University of Michigan Press will be released on July 1. The title refers to the intersection where my main character's business is located, but it also refers to intersections in general--between races, classes, neighborhoods, and generations. Chris Walton has a piece about it in the Free Press today.
    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2009906280305

One thing I love about my novel is the cover. The image was taken by Detroit photographer Bill Rauhauser in the 50s or 60s. You can see it on my website http://www.susanmesser.net/

Bill is 90 years old, and when I tracked him down to ask him whether we could use his image on the cover, he said, "Why I used to sell newspapers on that corner when I was 10 years old."
    Last edited by Lowell; July-04-09 at 08:12 AM.

Great! I've been looking for a book to read this summer. I'll be picking this one up for sure. Do you think Chapters in Windsor will have it? If not, we will be going over the river and I'll get it there.

Congratulations, Susan. My mother ran a laundry on Grand River about half a block north of Joy until she sold it after she was robbed at gunpoint in 1962. I wonder of she knew your father. I look forward to reading the book.

I'm looking forward to reading the book. I spent many weekend evenings nearby, at the Grande Ballroom and an acquaintance's father had a wholesale and used furniture business in the neighborhood, back in the sixties.
    Congratulations!

Default thanks

Thanks so much for the enthusiasm and welcome. To be honest, I don't know what bookstores will be carrying the novel, but most bookstores will order it for you if you ask. It's also available from all the online sources, including U-Mich Press. But I love to support real bookstores.

That's very cool that you-all have memories or associations with the neighborhood. The Grande definitely makes an appearance. And I interviewed Russ Gibb, who owned the Grande, as part of my research. We've got a nice friendship going now, and he's read an advance review copy. He plans to review it for yournews.com.

It was quite a stretch of road there on Grand River south of Joy--the Riviera, and the Grande, and the Olympia. A real cultural center at one point.

And I don't know if you can see on the book cover, but what it says on the trash can is "Beautiful Detroit." In some ways, that's my favorite part.

Default Grand River and Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Messer View Post
    And I don't know if you can see on the book cover, but what it says on the trash can is "Beautiful Detroit." In some ways, that's my favorite part.

Thats a trash can?

Default thanks again

wow. thanks for posting that beautiful large-sized image of the cover. I just assumed it was a trash can. What do you think it is? Maybe a newspaper-vending thingee? It does say "paper" on it.

You're most welcome, Susan. It's nice to have an author around and the book deserves some publicity.

I think that is a trash can. It would make sense to stencil "Beautiful Detroit" on a trash can as an incentive for its use. It looks like the word "PAPER" was stenciled at the same time so maybe it's only for paper trash and would get recycled. Nice mystery.

It is a good picture and thanks for writing the book, I will deff. pick one up.

The only reasons I questioned it being a garbage can was because it says 'paper', it has a weird angle at the bottom and those guys are leaning all over it! I wonder what the mystery box is....

Sounds great!

Default cover photo

I'll have to ask Bill Rauhauser, the photographer. Maybe he'll remember. We're having an "event" together in Oct [[Sun, Oct 25), at the Book Beat in Oak Park, MI. I'll read from my book, and he's going to exhibit some of his photos.

The other thing I love about the photo is the intense engagement f the two men--something juicy to talk about. And the way their faces are hidden reflects themes of my novel: what we say in private vs. what we say in public.

I'd like to have other readings/discussions in the Detroit area. If anyone has ideas or contacts, please let me know.

Susan

I'll buy a copy from Amazon.com.

Stosh Guest

It is a trash can. There are two slots either side of the can, for garbage. One can be barely seen under the one man's coat. It's been years since I've seen one. Nice cover shot.

Susan...Congratulations on your book...it is the kind of theme about which I've always wanted to write,. Since I'm now retiring after 41 years with DPS, Maybe I'll get a chance to be a little creative. Nevertheless, I definitely will pick up Grand River and Joy. As a 62 year old still living in the city, caring for the city and pulling for its rebirth, I wish you much success and hope to meet you at one of your signings.

You are a very warm and welcoming group of people, and I appreciate your interest tremendously.

Writing takes a lot of focus and discipline. Getting published is another matter completely--some of it luck, happening to be at the right place at the right time.

Promoting the work--that is, finding ways to let people know it's out there--is yet another challenge. We all have so many things competing for our attention all the time. thanks so much for taking the time to focus on my book.

Warmly,
    Susan

I was a teenager in Detroit in the 60's, but I sure don't recall ever seeing a trash can like that. Obviously that is what it is. Looks like a converted mailbox, or at least made by the same company that made the corner mailboxes. Looking forward to the book.

Now that we've gotten talking about the trash can, and Stosh mentioned about the two slots, it's starting to seem familiar--that is, I'm getting a hazy memory of what it was like to push that slot in. What an amazing idea to write "Beautiful Detroit" on it though. It might have been the same era as the anti-litter campaign [[Remember "don't be a litterbug"?).

I used to wait for the West Chicago bus on the corner near the Riviera theater in the late 60s. I remember the mix of merchants. There was a drug store right there, and the lady who worked in there always kept an eye on me out there waiting for that bus.People seemed to look out for each other.

Your book title brings back wonderful memories. My late husband grew up on Joy Road, two blocks off Grand River. He spent many Saturday sfternoons at the Riviera and was sadden to see it closed. My favorite spot was Famous Pizzeria which was across the street from the Riviera. I am looking forward to reading your book.

There was another theatre in that neighborhood, the Annex, so called because it was an Annex to the Rivera, which could not accomodate the number of partons who wanted to attend the 3,000+ seat "Grand" Rivera. The Annex was to the south, and was an atmospheric style theatre designed by John Eberson, the inventor of that style.

http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com...?ID=480&type=5

I graduated from St. Theresa at Maplewood/Quincy/Blaine and Grand River - where some of the main scenes in 8 Mile were shot. A stone's throw from Grand River and Joy, the Grand Riviera Theatre and the Grande Ballroom. My walk to St.Theresa and back home to Collingwood and Petoskey often took me through that intersection. In those days it was quite often referred to as one of the main heroin districts in Detroit. I'll likely read the book if it's topical to Detroit and that area.

If you have a signing in A2, I'll likely attend and buy your book. It's too bad, The Shaman Drum is closing as I speak, but there are other book stores. I order books through my local libraries - books that I plan to or have read and recommend. That way they get out to the public. Part of my personal 'stimulus' package is buying books of local authors - Michael Zadoorian, Lolita Hernandez, Randa Jarrar and Kathy Koja. I'm reading 'The Lake, The River & The Other Lake' by Ann Arbor author Steve Amick, at present. I met him at Shaman Drum. I recently finished 'Starvation Lake' by Brian Gruley from Redford and 'The Longest Trip Home' by John Grogan of Orchard Lake. Good luck. Hope to see you at a signing. 1KielsonDrive@live.com

I read the sad news about Shaman Drum in Ann Arbor closing. And I like your idea of a stimulus package--buying the work of local authors. I think the publicist at U-M Press is looking for a venue for me, for a reading in A2, but I'm open to suggestions. I lived in A2 for many years before moving to Chicago. In Detroit, I'd love to have an event at the DIA, as I have two substantial scenes that take place there--focusing on the Rivera frescoes. They're such a rich metaphor for Detroit--the union of art and manufacturing. It's not easy to find a way in, though. All cultural institutions are struggling.

I do appreciate hearing the memories of that Grand River and Joy neighborhood. My father worked there when I was a teenager, but being a teenager, I didn't notice many of the realities. We lived farther north and west [[I went to Mumford). Even there, I didn't fully understand what was going on [[well, no one ever does really) until I started doing the research for this novel. Much of it at the Walter Reuther Library at Wayne. Amazing place.

Susan, check out Nicola's Little Professor bookstore at Westgate Shopping Center on the west side at Jackson and Maple Roads. It's a great bookstore. They have the usual readings and even some performances. A couple of years ago Dave Carson read from his book about Detroit Rock and Roll. Gary Quackenbush, formerly of SRC, and a couple of friends, showed up and played a set of music. A few dozen people were in attendance including Gary Rasmussen, guitarist extraordinaire, formerly of The Up. Nicola's is right behind Zingerman's Road House and The Quarter restaurant.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast