Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Paris of the Midwest

Watching Fox 2 news this morning I caught a story about a friend of mine and his new project the [[Edmund) going on line.
    see here http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...nd-renting.php
    I've spoken to him about this subject often and wanted to know what you guys thought.
    After watching the story I started to wonder, could we make Detroit, starting with brush park, "The Paris of the midwest "?

There are still many homes in the area that need TLC, however I thought to myself , would it be feasible to infilled the empty spots with something comparable but cost effective ?
    Using the same type, but maybe apartments in that style to keep the area in that style .

I think this could be a big draw for Detroit and that area .
    With its location half way between Downtown/midtown, and the new whole foods moving in, I really think this could work .
    I wish I had the money to do it ,but I think my buddy has the right idea ! He's one guy with a goal .
    props to my bud Michael !
    any thoughts ?

I know a lot of people in the 'burbs that are getting ready to give up their lifestyles, sell their homes and move back to Detroit because Ho' Foods is coming.

Funny you mention that , I was just talking to a couple in town from Royal Oak that were in the Detroit Shoppe on Woodward. They want to give up their house and move into the city and are currently looking for a loft.

Their kids are out of the house now and they are getting tired of their big house.

The husband is really ready, the wife is also , but she wants a loft that's "finished", he is cool with the "raw" look, but they are def looking to move into the city, downtown/midtown area .

Downtown/Midtown is about to become a VERY different place .

We could wear berets, smoke clove cigarettes, pee in alleys, and act pretentious. That would make us the Paris of the Midwest again!!

Detroit needs to be Detroit. It needs to stop worrying about comparing itself to other places and mind its own self.

"We could wear berets, smoke clove cigarettes, pee in alleys, and act pretentious. That would make us the Paris of the Midwest again!!"

sacré bleu!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    We could wear berets, smoke clove cigarettes, pee in alleys, and act pretentious. That would make us the Paris of the Midwest again!!

Detroit needs to be Detroit. It needs to stop worrying about comparing itself to other places and mind its own self.
    I agree but remember someone else called Detroit "The Paris of the Midwest " not a Detroiter :-)

I realize that was mention in the late 1800's, before the freeways were around , most suburbs weren't there ,most of the car companies and the mall as we know it wasn't even a dream , but rebuilding brush park in a way that it once was , or close to it ,I think would be the best .

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I agree but remember someone else called Detroit "The Paris of the Midwest " not a Detroiter :-)

I realize that was mention in the late 1800's, before the freeways were around , most suburbs weren't there ,most of the car companies and the mall as we know it wasn't even a dream , but rebuilding brush park in a way that it once was , or close to it ,I think would be the best .
    Get your checkbook out, Dave, because no one else will.

The asking prices are steep, but as my past real estate agent says, "The asking price isn't the getting price."

I think Detroit has a lot of opportunities to turn some of the shelled out neighborhoods into ones with large lots, and big houses\multi famliy units.

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    The asking prices are steep, but as my past real estate agent says, "The asking price isn't the getting price."

I think Detroit has a lot of opportunities to turn some of the shelled out neighborhoods into ones with large lots, and big houses\multi famliy units.
    As do the suburbs with the McMansions!

In the literal sense, "Paris of the Midwest" was a more fitting description in the early 20th century before the urban renewal efforts wiped out most of the 19th century building stock that resembled Parisian architecture. Today it's just an absurd comparison. Detroit today looks about as much like Paris as it does Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Detroit today looks about as much like Paris as it does Tokyo.
    But it does! Watch some of the old Godzilla movies after his rampage.

If you ever watch Star Trek: Enterprise, Season 3, Episode Carpenter Street, you'll find that Detroit actually looks a lot more like LA!

http://www.jammersreviews.com/st-ent/s3/carpenter.php

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

Youse forgot to add a baguette under the armpit for deodorant. Or maybe the clove cigarettes took care of that... lol.

I've been to Paris... and Detroit was never like Paris... but the city comparison is very common in Europe. In Germany for example... [[where they mention the river the city is on)... Munich is also comparatively known as "Athens on the Isar"... Dresden is known as "Florence on the Elbe"... and Bamberg as "Little Venice".

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I've been to Paris... and Detroit was never like Paris... but the city comparison is very common in Europe. In Germany for example... [[where they mention the river the city is on)... Munich is also comparatively known as "Athens on the Isar"... Dresden is known as "Florence on the Elbe"... and Bamberg as "Little Venice".

Brazzaville on the Detroit River!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    When I look at the pre-1920s photos of lower Woodward and near Michigan Avenue, I can see the resemblance... And I've been to Paris too. But Detroit hasn't looked like Paris in nearly a century.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Get your checkbook out, Dave, because no one else will.
    I wish ! I don't think the check return fee would cover it! LOL :-)
    However ,I'm glad my friend Michael V. [[see attached story) could.

He's doing what I wish I could , Also I hope what he did inspires others with the means to take a chance !

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...nd-renting.php
    Last edited by Detroitdave; November-20-12 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Youse forgot to add a baguette under the armpit for deodorant. Or maybe the clove cigarettes took care of that... lol.
    Now I'm craving beignets. Where can you get baignets around Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Brazzaville on the Detroit River!
    lol... at least we no longer have DTW as "Entebbe on the Middle Rouge"...

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Now I'm craving beignets. Where can you get baignets around Detroit?
    The Village Food Market carries them once and awhile but I have yet to find a decent beignet anywhere in the city. There has to be one bakery doing a proper beignet.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    In the literal sense, "Paris of the Midwest" was a more fitting description in the early 20th century before the urban renewal efforts wiped out most of the 19th century building stock that resembled Parisian architecture. Today it's just an absurd comparison. Detroit today looks about as much like Paris as it does Tokyo.
    If you had to pick an area of Metro Detroit that looks anything remotely like Paris, I would pick Washington Boulevard or Broadway, if you ignore the general lack of activity, retail or pedestrian, compared to Paris. The giant Catholic Churches lend themselves to Paris as well. Any similarity generally stops there nowadays. It's a shame, because Paris is unspeakably beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    If you had to pick an area of Metro Detroit that looks anything remotely like Paris, I would pick Washington Boulevard or Broadway, if you ignore the general lack of activity, retail or pedestrian, compared to Paris. The giant Catholic Churches lend themselves to Paris as well. Any similarity generally stops there nowadays. It's a shame, because Paris is unspeakably beautiful.
    Very true... you could probably have added Madison Ave. to the mix if it weren't for the missing Madison-Lenox, and the empty lot at Witherell.

I would think Harmonie Park looks a lot like Paris.

Having been to Paris, I would say that the land value in Paris is enough to ensure the maintenance of its housing stock. That is not the case with Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    After watching the story I started to wonder, could we make Detroit, starting with brush park, "The Paris of the midwest "?
    You do realize that Detroit already used to be call that many decades ago?

And to answer your question, no.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast