Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Historical Museum Re-opening Nov. 23

http://detroithistorical.org/things-...pening-weekend

Open for 55½ straight hours! Free admission!
    Doors open Friday, November 23 at 9:30 a.m. and don’t close until Sunday, November 25 at 5 p.m.
    I went to the members preview today. Lots of new stuff to see.

Can't wait to check it out! Didn't know about the weekend free admission schedule, thanks for posting.
    -DVD

From the DHM website...more about the Grand Opening Weekend:

Open for 55½ straight hours! Free admission!
    Doors open Friday, November 23 at 9:30 a.m. and don’t close until Sunday, November 25 at 5 p.m.

Come explore and experience the remarkable stories of the people, places and events that define who we are. Enjoy favorites like the Streets of Old Detroit and discover new favorites like the Allesee Gallery of Culture and the Kid Rock Music Lab.

Look for raffles, refreshments and giveaways throughout the weekend. Night owls can also take in a classic Detroit-themed flick Friday and Saturday nights in the Booth Auditorium:

• 10 p.m. Detroit Rock City
    • Midnight Robocop
    • 2:30 a.m. 8 Mile
    • 5:00 a.m. Out of Sight
    • 7:30 a.m. Grosse Pointe Blank

Don’t forget our outdoor attraction as well, Detroit Legends Plaza, and meet local television luminary Bill Bonds, as he casts his hands and signature in cement Sunday morning at 9 a.m. and joins our roster of local legends!

It’s a weekend that will make history. Don’t miss it.

http://detroithistorical.org/detroit...0%99s-grand-re

Bump for tomorrow. Don't miss the piece of the giant stove in the "new aquisitions" display.

Or the Tiger Stadium neon sign!!! Looking forward to seeing the Gallery of Culture and all of its Detroit history!!!

Went last night after the DIA and closed the place. Loved the new additions, and it was great seeing the familiar ones again. I thought the Kid Rock thing was a little over the top. I got the impression he must have made a sizeable donation to the revamp.

Just came back. It was awesome. I haven't been there in 10+ years and it was everything and more. The transportation exhibit was the best part of it; a humbling look at how we screwed that one up.

We had a thoroughly enjoyable couple of hours checking out the newly renovated Detroit Historical Museum late this afternoon. It was bustling with people who were enjoying every gallery in the museum!!

We'll be back soon to watch every video and see all the exhibits in more detail.

Open nonstop until 5pm Sunday, Nov 25. Free admission for all!!

And that free admission policy continues until June 2014! So come one, come all....and bring your friends and family!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    And that free admission policy continues until June 2014! So come one, come all....and bring your friends and family!!!!
    That's good to hear, I thought it was just for the weekend. June 2014 is pretty random date though, why is it until then?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    That's good to hear, I thought it was just for the weekend. June 2014 is pretty random date though, why is it until then?
    The free admission policy is an experiment to see if they can bring in enough revenue through parking lot fees, donations, and memberships to continue the policy. So that gives them 18 months to see if it works.

Kathleen, it's nice to see that Kid Rock has extended his philanthropic reach... and Detroit's "Queen of Philanthropy" Maggie Allesee [[megabuck local heiress) has extended her generosity to other areas besides the Detroit Opera House, WSU and other cultural organizations...

I wonder if any changes were made to the Glancy train exhibit. I know that would be difficult to do given the current layout, and the fact that it remains a crowd-pleaser.

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    I wonder if any changes were made to the Glancy train exhibit. I know that would be difficult to do given the current layout, and the fact that it remains a crowd-pleaser.
    It looked to me like it always has, pretty cool. Some user interactive stuff. It was a real crowd pleaser the night I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Kathleen, it's nice to see that Kid Rock has extended his philanthropic reach... and Detroit's "Queen of Philanthropy" Maggie Allesee [[megabuck local heiress) has extended her generosity to other areas besides the Detroit Opera House, WSU and other cultural organizations...
    I agree!! The Kid Rock Music Lab is a tribute to Detroit's musical heritage...the people...the sound...and the places. Not what I was expecting, but something that appeals to the masses as they certainly could not cover every musical artist or group of significance to the region.

And I am very happy to see the Allesee name on the Gallery of Culture, a wonderful exhibit of Detroit's chronological history during the 20th century. It's a great starting point for visitors!!

Quote Originally Posted by the rock View Post
    The lower level may have gotten cleaned up a bit, but no real changes there. And certainly none that I noticed in the Glancy Train exhibit where there were as many people as ever checking it out!!

Thanks for the details K. I can't make it this weekend but plan to get there very soon!

Wow!! There were still people heading into the historical museum at 4pm today, just an hour before close. And WWJ reported that 10,000 people visited the museum over this 55-hour open house period.

The Cultural Center was hopping this afternoon as we headed down to the DIA for the Faberge exhibit [[which is excellent! we highly recommend it!!). Stopped in at Good Girls Go To Paris for a sweet crepe snack; Torya said they've enjoyed good business this holiday weekend!!! Then over to City Bird to pick up the newly published Forgotten Landmarks of Detroit by Dan Austin.

Noel Night is up next!!!!!

I was part of the Construction Team on the project. Glancy Train did not get any additional space. Although they did take the whole display apart, store and then built the display over from the beginning. They changed the layout of the train tracks and displays. They also have a little camera mounted to one of the trains, which displays a video on the TV screen while in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    I was part of the Construction Team on the project. Glancy Train did not get any additional space. Although they did take the whole display apart, store and then built the display over from the beginning. They changed the layout of the train tracks and displays. They also have a little camera mounted to one of the trains, which displays a video on the TV screen while in motion.
    NICE work! I really enjoyed the night I went and thought the place looks great. I would add a small hot food restaurant to the downstairs cafeteria Does anyone have any idea if they plan to put up a large Christmas tree in the front lobby like they used to?