Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Horses Neglected in the CITY?

Last edited by Zacha341; November-18-12 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Groups rescue 10 horses from decrepit Detroit warehouse

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2CajCo1mJ

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ected_hor.html
    hope the horses are safe now.

I hope the horses could be used by euther the Mounded Police divisions of Detroit or Wayne County; perhaps the Buffalo Soldiers? http://www.detroitblog.org/?p=1635
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; November-19-12 at 11:38 AM.

Any indication who's horses they were or why they were being kept there?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

The number of abused and abandoned horses has greatly increased since the closure of all U.S slaughter houses that accepted them. "Animal Rights" groups in their infinite wisdom forced many of them to close. I guess they think that it's better now that these animals languish and suffer without care than be put to good use as animal feed [[Mostly Zoos) and exported to countries where they are considered just as edible as beef. Instead many are now shipped to Mexico where they face a long journey with little care and a less than humane death.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    The number of abused and abandoned horses has greatly increased since the closure of all U.S slaughter houses that accepted them. "Animal Rights" groups in their infinite wisdom forced many of them to close. I guess they think that it's better now that these animals languish and suffer without care than be put to good use as animal feed [[Mostly Zoos) and exported to countries where they are considered just as edible as beef. Instead many are now shipped to Mexico where they face a long journey with little care and a less than humane death.

I certainly hope you are not suggesting that US slaughter houses are humane in the way that they process animals. Having worked the stun line for several years, I can assure you that they are not. It's a barbaric process and if people had to watch an animal be commercially processed, they would eat less meat. Closing US slaughterhouses to horses was a good move - the problem of horses being neglected is separate from the slaughterhouse issue.

Quote Originally Posted by leapfrog View Post
    I certainly hope you are not suggesting that US slaughter houses are humane in the way that they process animals. Having worked the stun line for several years, I can assure you that they are not. It's a barbaric process and if people had to watch an animal be commercially processed, they would eat less meat. Closing US slaughterhouses to horses was a good move - the problem of horses being neglected is separate from the slaughterhouse issue.
    So it's better now that they are transported to Mexico for slaughter?

I've been to several slaughterhouses and have personally slaughtered pigs, cows and as a hunter many wild animals as well. Death is not a pretty sight no matter how it comes, but if I had to choose an end for myself I would take getting the stun gun at a slaughterhouse over a slow death by disease, infection or starvation in an abandoned Detroit warehouse.

"the problem of horses being neglected is separate from the slaughterhouse issue." No it is not...

The closure of these slaughterhouses resulted in a huge number of animals that were basically worthless. It may sound cold, but these animals are livestock and if they are not used as pets, for work, for show or for slaughter they become a liability. When you add the massive increase in feed prices and the weakened economy there are simply not enough people with the means and desire to care for these animals.

Last edited by Johnnny5; November-19-12 at 05:08 PM.