Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Did GM take full advantage of the publicity in Transformers 2 ?

Many of us here remember the MCS in the first Transformers movie back in 2007.

After watching "Transformers 2: The Revenge of the Fallen" this weekend, it is even more obvious that GM/Chevrolet is very prominently portrayed throughout the entire movie.

Do you think that GM has taken full advantage of this blockbuster opportunity to promote, market and sell its cars?

Or did GM trip up by not being able to deliver the small cars that are displayed in the movie, due to its inability to move from concept stage to production stage?

they didn't trip up as you said. I think your real question is was it a mistake to include vehicles in the movie that they weren't planning to sell in the US or knew wouldn't be out for another year [[just like they did in the first one)

They should have made the Decepticons out of Toyotas and Hondas. But then the Autobots would lose.

That doesn't make sense. The Autobots would be far more powerful than the Decepticons.

Two problems with that premise:

First, with GM in bankruptcy, they have seriously cut back on advertising. I've only seen their first TV ad since their filing just last week.

Second, the recession is much worse now than when the first movie was released.

I don't see people being in a car buying mood for the foreseeable future.

According to Bloomberg Financial News [[http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aZCnXEtqqTcc), GM can't keep up with demand for the Camaro/Bumblebee.

So, it sounds like GM failed to anticipate demand and failed to capitalize on opportunities, again.

How does one justify the competency of GM leadership, when they have had Transformers 1 to learn from, but yet still trip up on Transformers 2 ? Anybody wants to predict for Transformers 3 ?

Are you kidding me? GM screwed up by not being able to meet production for the Camaro? Find me one new car that is in anyway popular that met demand initially.

The Hyundai Genesis Coupe didn't. The Toyota Prius isn't. The Dodge Challenger didn't. Hell, the Chevy Malibu didn't. Production always ramps up slowly as manufacturing kinks are worked out. Also, shortages provide free buzz and marketing, ie the article you posted. Ever tried to buy a Nintendo Wii? Same prinicple.

This is a success for GM, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    Are you kidding me? GM screwed up by not being able to meet production for the Camaro? Find me one new car that is in anyway popular that met demand initially.

The Hyundai Genesis Coupe didn't. The Toyota Prius isn't. The Dodge Challenger didn't. Hell, the Chevy Malibu didn't. Production always ramps up slowly as manufacturing kinks are worked out. Also, shortages provide free buzz and marketing, ie the article you posted. Ever tried to buy a Nintendo Wii? Same prinicple.

This is a success for GM, plain and simple.
    If the shortage is intended to create buzz, as the major media outlets are obviously covering, then yes ..... detmsp, it is a successful campaign.

How about the other vehicles in the movie? Are they available for purchase? If they aren't, they should, because whenever you have a blockbuster hit like that sitting atop the box-office charts - it is an opportunity not to be missed.

Well i'm not going to argue about whether they should have used current cars or future cars. That's something for the marketing experts to decide. But you said that GM had failed to deliver on these cars. That they screwed up. That they were supposed to be ready and they just weren't able to finish them in time. That is not true in the least.