Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default There's some work going on at I think is the Eddystone building?

I'm pretty sure that's what the building is/was. I saw it coming into work this morning from the parking garage.

It looks like an orange lift is doing "something" to the exterior of the higher floor.

It would be nice if something happened with that. The west side of Woodward north of the freeway is so shitty looking it's inexcusable.

Its hard to miss the Eddystone, it has huge letters on the top saying EDDYSTONE.

The Eddystone is on Park, not Woodward, so not sure if you are asking about the same building.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The Eddystone is on Park, not Woodward, so not sure if you are asking about the same building.
    Hmmmmm..........I always thought the Hotel Eddystone was located at 110 Sproat. Could be wrong, don't think I am though.

Louis Kamper's Eddystone Hotel 100 Sproat Park Avenue Historic District. I hope there is a project to restore the building.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Unless he changed his comment... the first part of his post talks about that particular building... and then he commented on the visual look of west side of Woodward Ave. in general.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Louis Kamper's Eddystone Hotel 100 Sproat Park Avenue Historic District. I hope there is a project to restore the building.
    I'm with you p69.... one of the charms of Midtown is that there's a mix of low and midrise buildings... with an occassional highrise, such as Masonic Temple, The Eddystone [[and the tall building nearby), the former Maccabees Building, and the tall older buildings around WSU. Sadly Mackenzie Hall one of the largest tall buildings in Midtown was razed by WSU for parking 20+ years ago...

I also hope some of the midrise and highrise buildings around Masonic Temple survive... but the future doesn't look good for them...

I believe the Eddystone was purchased by Illitch along with the Harbour Light Building a few years ago. They are to be torn down to make way for the new Red Wings arena.

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    I believe the Eddystone was purchased by Illitch along with the Harbour Light Building a few years ago. They are to be torn down to make way for the new Red Wings arena.
    That sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    That sucks!
    I've heard the Ilitch purchase... but no determination has been made on the location [[as of yet) for the new arena, so I'm not sure if this is demo work...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm with you p69.... one of the charms of Midtown is that there's a mix of low and midrise buildings... with an occassional highrise, such as Masonic Temple, The Eddystone [[and the tall building nearby), the former Maccabees Building, and the tall older buildings around WSU. Sadly Mackenzie Hall one of the largest tall buildings in Midtown was razed by WSU for parking 20+ years ago...

I also hope some of the midrise and highrise buildings around Masonic Temple survive... but the future doesn't look good for them...

Why couldn't a new arena be built around the Eddystone?

The land that Ilitch presumably owns is far larger than needed for an arena.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Why couldn't a new arena be built around the Eddystone?

The land that Ilitch presumably owns is far larger than needed for an arena.
    Most likely and one our least favorite subjects parking!

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Its hard to miss the Eddystone, it has huge letters on the top saying EDDYSTONE.
    Ironically, the lift that was out yesterday [[and which this thread was about) was there to paint over the sign at the top of the Harbor Light.

From a few sources, I heard the taxi business is being replace with a parking garage just north of I-75 on Park ave. With us knowing that this development includes retail, entertainment, Hotel and arena, looking at how the same architect of the Staple Center soon to release [[hopefully) renderings of the new Red Wing Arena and others plans. I believe Illitch is using a lot of land for this, from behind the Fox Theater to Masonic Temple. So I will assume the entertainment/retail portion will be between Woodward north of I-75 to Cass Av, using the Eddystone as a hotel . The Arena will be behind the Fox Theater between Grandriver, W. Adam and Clifford st. with a few things in-between.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    From a few sources, I heard the taxi business is being replace with a parking garage just north of I-75 on Park ave. With us knowing that this development includes retail, entertainment, Hotel and arena, looking at how the same architect of the Staple Center soon to release [[hopefully) renderings of the new Red Wing Arena and others plans. I believe Illitch is using a lot of land for this, from behind the Fox Theater to Masonic Temple. So I will assume the entertainment/retail portion will be between Woodward north of I-75 to Cass Av, using the Eddystone as a hotel . The Arena will be behind the Fox Theater between Grandriver, W. Adam and Clifford st. with a few things in-between.
    If they're going to transform the Eddystone back into a hotel they have their work cut out for them, the place looks like a shell to me.

Detroit's going to have a "L.A Live" Entertainment type development, coincidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    Ironically, the lift that was out yesterday [[and which this thread was about) was there to paint over the sign at the top of the Harbor Light.
    The Park Avenue Hotel i.e. Harbor Lights also a Louis Kamper design built in 1924 located at 2643 Park Avenue.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

^^^Nice possible Ritz Carlton Hotel

I don't think that either the Eddystone, nor the Park Avenue [[if they survive) will end up as Hotels. There's plenty of available hotel space already in downtown, and the Ponchartrain is still unoccupied.

If anything, I think these Midtown towers will end up as apartments or condos.

Quote Originally Posted by innercitydoc View Post
    There has been no announcement of the sort. Don't pull stuff out of your ass and post it as fact. Yes they have been purchased by Ilitch which doesn't bode well for the buildings as he has a pretty shotty record of preserving historic buildings outside of the Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    Thats sucks, I liked the signs on Harbor Light and Eddystone. With a possible hockey arena coming Id hope these building can be saved somehow. They were major dope corners there in the mid 90s anong with Temple and Cass. Id really like to see the big sign for the Temple Hotel saved somehow. If I had the cash and storage Id be out there trying to save those old signs of neon and light bulbs. The Temple Hotel is a classic. Name:  eddystoneharborlight.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  34.1 KB
    Last edited by Django; November-18-12 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I don't think that either the Eddystone, nor the Park Avenue [[if they survive) will end up as Hotels. There's plenty of available hotel space already in downtown, and the Ponchartrain is still unoccupied.

If anything, I think these Midtown towers will end up as apartments or condos.
    I don't know about that, even though rents are high around that area it's going to take a lot of money to convert those buildings back to anything useful. Of course, I never thought any of those Palmer Park apartment buildings would come back to life either.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I don't know about that, even though rents are high around that area it's going to take a lot of money to convert those buildings back to anything useful. Of course, I never thought any of those Palmer Park apartment buildings would come back to life either.
    They will need a lot of cash to restore them but most of the demo work is already done. Also making them easier to configure for whoever undertakes that project.

I've got some history in that HarborLight building...in another of my lifetime vignettes I used to help a fellow who ran a quick worship and teaching service before their evening meals. A very significant event happened because of that place, and I will miss the visual trigger for that story if it goes down. Not dissimilar to the old Seville that used to hulk over Second just north of the Masonic Temple.

If only these joints could be reused. I drove by those apartment buildings at Woodward and Six Mile just yesterday...what a difference. Whomever is responsible for that should be knighted or sainted or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    There has been no announcement of the sort. Don't pull stuff out of your ass and post it as fact. Yes they have been purchased by Ilitch which doesn't bode well for the buildings as he has a pretty shotty record of preserving historic buildings outside of the Fox.
    When did I say that there was an announcement? You acknowledge that it was purchased by Illitch and that it is unlikely that he would preserve the building. Being that they are in the area of the new arena one would presume that they will be torn down to make way for it. If this thing goes through and you think the buildings will meet any other fate than the wrecking ball then you need to pull your head out of your ass. Thanks for helping me make my point.
    Last edited by innercitydoc; November-18-12 at 04:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast