Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Squatter Sunk 3K Into Detroit Home Evicted By Bank!

Here we go again!

Article is citing the 'Housing is a Human Right Coalition" as the blame....

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...-detroit-house

Unfortunate, but people do not have a "right" to empty houses. squat until you are kicked out. It is too bad the woman was mis-led and did not understand that.

Yes it was. I totally feel for her. Reading between the lines, I believe this group buys homes from the city to give to women like her, but something didn't happen with this particular house. She put $3k into that house, yet two nights ago there was a story about a woman that paid $3k for her house and now can't get a squatter out.

This woman could have actually used some better advice and really makes me wonder who is in charge of some of these social service groups.

You can't just go and decide to move into an abandoned house just because your human. You have to be an idiot to think that you can move in a house that is in that good of a condition and just take it over because the house was abandoned.

As far as the $3000 in improvements, the lady lived rent free for the past 6 months. Anywhere else she would have a mortgage or have to pay rent.

There is more to this story than whats being told. I do not feel sorry for her.

Quote Originally Posted by syrett4 View Post
    Yes it was. I totally feel for her. Reading between the lines, I believe this group buys homes from the city to give to women like her, but something didn't happen with this particular house. She put $3k into that house, yet two nights ago there was a story about a woman that paid $3k for her house and now can't get a squatter out.
    Incorrect, sadly. Maureen Taylor and the Michgan Welfare Rights Coalition do no purchasing of properties whatsoever. They started this fiasco back in May or so, claiming they were invoking an old nuisance abatement ordinance and putting people in city owned properties. It was just a smokescreen. Nuisance abatement requires departmental approval from the city [[they never did that, admittingly) and, like in this case, they "placed" this woman in a home not owned by the city.

I live in East English Village, and this is a few blocks from me. It is a charming block, with a city council member living on it to boot. Like all areas in the metro, it has a few empty houses. So these people think they can just "move on up" to a nice neighborhood and take a house because, as she puts it, she is "human." That sense of entitlement should be outrageous to any right-thinking person - that you can simply take any house you like because you have a pulse.

I do believe housing is a human right. However not any housing you like. The problem with Maureen Taylor and her legions is that they are arrogant enough to believe that housing is not only a human right but any housing, wherever you like, is a human right. Again, this gall is alarming. If you're homeless I think you should be entitled to a room - not a pre-war custom-built home that you fancy, simply because you are "human".

By now many of the people placed in homes by Taylor have been evicted, with no recourse. They listened to Taylor and they were duped. Taylor and her group of terrorists should be jailed for what they've done to these people and the neighborhoods they attacked. Their representative's only defense was that the banks have done "illegal" things too. So two wrongs make a right, in their eyes.

And no, this woman was not a good person. She was not a good neighbor. She went around accosting neighbors telling a wide variety of lies about her situation and supposed right to be there. She allowed garbage to pile up in the street. They have no right to do that to us. Your rights end where that of others begin. However because this person is "human" she thinks she can do whatever she likes.

We got rid of her and another squatter woman of the same ilk who threatened to firebomb our neighbors' houses. Is that ok because she is "human"? We're finally on the upswing here and we weren't about to let a bunch of squatter trash bring us down like the rest of the city.

Another title from this thread s/b "Howeowner who sunk $113,000 into house evicted by bank." But no one cares about that.

According to Maureen Taylor, I have a right to walk into a bank and take a bag cash and say it's mine. After all, I'm "human".

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Another title from this thread s/b "Howeowner who sunk $113,000 into house evicted by bank." But no one cares about that.
    Was there some kind of "legal" [[as in the laws we all agreed to live under and abide by), stipulation to this $113K invested? Like maybe, Oh, let's say, you continue to make the payments on the house you purchased?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Incorrect, sadly. Maureen Taylor and the Michgan Welfare Rights Coalition do no purchasing of properties whatsoever. They started this fiasco back in May or so, claiming they were invoking an old nuisance abatement ordinance and putting people in city owned properties. It was just a smokescreen. Nuisance abatement requires departmental approval from the city [[they never did that, admittingly) and, like in this case, they "placed" this woman in a home not owned by the city.

I live in East English Village, and this is a few blocks from me. It is a charming block, with a city council member living on it to boot. Like all areas in the metro, it has a few empty houses. So these people think they can just "move on up" to a nice neighborhood and take a house because, as she puts it, she is "human." That sense of entitlement should be outrageous to any right-thinking person - that you can simply take any house you like because you have a pulse.

I do believe housing is a human right. However not any housing you like. The problem with Maureen Taylor and her legions is that they are arrogant enough to believe that housing is not only a human right but any housing, wherever you like, is a human right. Again, this gall is alarming. If you're homeless I think you should be entitled to a room - not a pre-war custom-built home that you fancy, simply because you are "human".

By now many of the people placed in homes by Taylor have been evicted, with no recourse. They listened to Taylor and they were duped. Taylor and her group of terrorists should be jailed for what they've done to these people and the neighborhoods they attacked. Their representative's only defense was that the banks have done "illegal" things too. So two wrongs make a right, in their eyes.

And no, this woman was not a good person. She was not a good neighbor. She went around accosting neighbors telling a wide variety of lies about her situation and supposed right to be there. She allowed garbage to pile up in the street. They have no right to do that to us. Your rights end where that of others begin. However because this person is "human" she thinks she can do whatever she likes.

We got rid of her and another squatter woman of the same ilk who threatened to firebomb our neighbors' houses. Is that ok because she is "human"? We're finally on the upswing here and we weren't about to let a bunch of squatter trash bring us down like the rest of the city.

I do agree with most of what you said, but I also think she was misled. I have no doubt to the character issues you described. It sounds to me like this agency needs to be reeled in and the program put on hold if not scrapped completely.

You are also correct in that her being human, doesn't give her the right to trespass in a house she doesn't own or rent.

She should be mad at the people that placed her there and not at the bank that owns the house, but no.....you couldn't hold people accountable. It is easier to blame the big bad evil corporation.

The "awoke to the bailiff knocking on the door" intro to the Fox 2 report shouldn't suggest that some kind of harsh unfairness was being imposed on Ms. Landers [[the squatter) without warning.

Several weeks earlier she was served with notice of the bank's eviction lawsuit. She either lost the lawsuit at a trial or she failed to show up at the trial and the court awarded possession of the home to the bank by default. At the trial, she would have been advised that she had three weeks to appeal or move. Alternatively, any default judgment would have been mailed to her and the order would have clearly advised her of her right to either move or appeal. Next, the bank's application to the court for the eviction order would have been mailed to her. Once the order was signed by a judge, it would have been physically posted at the house at least 48 hours before the bailiffs showed up. Ms. Landers apparently ignored all of these procedural notices and arrogantly assumed that the bank would not take advantage of its rights under Michigan law. Bad move. That's how your stuff ends up on the curb.

Hopefully for the bank's and EEV's sake, Ms. Landers' sons don't return to the house and exact some pyrotechnic revenge for being so disrespected.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    The "awoke to the bailiff knocking on the door" intro to the Fox 2 report shouldn't suggest that some kind of harsh unfairness was being imposed on Ms. Landers [[the squatter) without warning.

Several weeks earlier she was served with notice of the bank's eviction lawsuit...
    You are correct. In fact the Michgan Welfare Rights Coalition knew about her pending eviction and they met up at the house last weekend.

This was after a couple suburban crones from the coalition walked OUR neighborhood and asked us tax-paying residents to support this Ms. Landers. One of our neighbors of a prominent place in city government asked them how they would like a squatter living next to them in Royal Oak. They assured him that they would welcome one. Right.

Of course these people are big on handing out flyers and "rallying" but ultimately did nothing to help this woman. Perhaps one of these self-appointed crusaders for social justice can take her in as a roommate instead of moving her around Detroit like a pawn?

As silly as Fox2 can be, I give them credit for bringing this nefarious conspiracy to light. I'm glad they also gave airtime to those of us who care about and belong in our neighborhood.
    Last edited by poobert; November-16-12 at 10:22 AM.

For $3200.00 she could have had one of any of the scores of homes "FOR SALE" across the city, but she was sold on getting something for nothing. People who cheat the system are on borrowed time, she probably knew this day would come.

With this kind of thought pattern the question then becomes is she really Human?

Maybe aliens or zombie's or some other sub human culture is growing in Detroit?

Under Squatters' Rights which is an U.N. international law, people have the right to squat in vacant homes until the owner has a right to cast them out by court order. Flagstar Bank have exercise their constitutional right to cast the squatters out of the East English Village home. It didn't send a broker telling squatters to move. They used a court order to kick them out. I'm feel sorry for the squatters and other folks who have been kick out of them homes.

We are not living in the Old Stone Age where primative people just walk into to a strange land or squat in a cave. This is a civilized society where you have buy a property to built and live. This is America you can have your freedom but no free lunch.

Drives me nuts.

She should go con her way into occupying a job and then she can pay for her house like everyone else.

What makes her think she's so entitled that she can just steal what most other people have to pay for?

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Drives me nuts.

She should go con her way into occupying a job and then she can pay for her house like everyone else.

What makes her think she's so entitled that she can just steal what most other people have to pay for?
    She should just walk into a McDonalds and make herself a sandwich and demand to be paid.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

Well said. The phrase 'human rights' is overused by the uninformed and naive. I deeply believe that we should care for those among us who need help. I think its our moral obligation. That doesn't confer a 'right' too a detached, single-family home with 4 bedrooms in the neighborhood of your choice. Enough with this 'human rights' hogwash.

If you do believe in housing as a human right, what do you say to poobert about this woman and her right to behave badly in pursuit of her human rights?
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; November-16-12 at 08:08 PM. Reason: grammar

I will have to agree with poobert! with his comments. Maureen Taylor shouldn't play real estate games with people. She conned a black female out of somebody else home and conned many homeless folks out, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I will have to agree with poobert! with his comments. Maureen Taylor shouldn't play real estate games with people. She conned a black female out of somebody else home and conned many homeless folks out, too.
    Seems to me she is the real problem.

If this woman could scrape together $3K she could have paid first and last month's rent on a place and rented her own apartment or house with clear documentation.

What's next, come home from work and find someone sitting on your couch, eating your food, watching your TV? Then demanding the right to stay with you ? Insanity.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    For $3200.00 she could have had one of any of the scores of homes "FOR SALE" across the city, but she was sold on getting something for nothing. People who cheat the system are on borrowed time, she probably knew this day would come.
    Don't you mean getting something pretty nice for nothing? Wasn't this "rights" group also involved with the squatter in the Boston Edison area who's living with the owner & owner's child? They must be looking for pretty decent homes for folks to seize. None of these stories are being reported in neighborhoods like Warrendale.

I'm sorry for her kids but I seriously laughed when they asked her why she felt she belonged there and she said, I'm human, and I deserve to be here. Really? I hope she's not raising her kids to think that because they're human, they deserve to just take whatever they want in life. Here I am working my butt off to get what I want, and who knew I could have just waved my Human card? And does it work at Target? Because I saw some stuff I deserve in there today but I had to leave it until payday.

"we [[are) all humans and we all deserve a place to stay."

Yeah right....if you pay for the place. Gimme break lady. Entitlement much?

Whatever happened to this squatter from a couple of months ago?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=FpaPxCNw7-U

Has to take some real B*lls to squat like that...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast